GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stratified base map logs. Any red flags?

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
And the slope prior to the hump is odd, like it isn't accelerating properly.

That is precisely how it feels! The sequence goes something like:

1. Manual into target gear (TC off, sport mode)
2. Allow it to coast down to 2k RPMs
3. Begin log then a few seconds later, stomp WOT
4. RPMs and boost rises and then, it's almost as if I slightly (maybe 20%) let off the throttle then WOT again in rapid succession lasting about 2 full seconds which feels like an eternity.
5. Ding ding ding, if figures out what we are trying to do here and and away we go

Red/bold is all new as of 2 iterations ago. I'm going to roll all the way back to the iteration just after logging the base file which felt great and see if the issue is still there.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Can you get rid of combustion mode and valve lift state and replace with injection time secondary pulse average us and AFR setpoint?

For sure. Would that be with the current iteration or rolled back to the 2nd iteration when things seemed solid? I might be able to grab them later tonight, thanks a ton for the support guys!!!

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Doesn't matter, just worthwhile fields IMO and the other 2 aren't. Would like to see what both sets of injectors are doing.

Ok good morning! Man winter is coming on fast, was 38° out this morning. After warming up and a good bit of driving around I've got a 3rd gear pull for review with the changes you mentioned. This is on the second iteration of the tune, back when it wasn't as manic when approaching peak. It felt good, here she is:

https://datazap.me/u/stayingtuned/3...secondary-pulse-average?log=0&data=1-2-6-8-17

I've got about 3 different hypothesis going right now, all backed with ignorance and vast amounts of paranoia and speculation ; )

- Maybe not going PM4 is haunting the process given that it's most apparent in 4th & 5th after Alex increased spool and boost (tune iteration 3+). I am happy that throughout the entire process, knock has been near non-existent so not quite sure.
- Maybe not dialing in my wastegate is haunting me. Dan mentioned it coming pre-set but cautioned that some adjustments may need to be made. I mentioned this to Alex and early on he said we might need to loosen it but that was weeks ago with no definitive "do this now" so I figured I'm golden.
- Maybe what I'm hearing is my exhaust flap opening up (sounding like V-TACK kicking on) but that doesn't explain the boost undulation at WOT nor the potentially high AFR that Big Al mentioned. I'm going to code them open today at lunch to omit that as a variable.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
My fault. Drop secondary and add "Cyl 1 Inj Time Pulse (ms). You still have a fueling issue at spool but this looks better.

Will do!

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
My fault. Drop secondary and add "Cyl 1 Inj Time Pulse (ms). You still have a fueling issue at spool but this looks better.

So potentially great turn of events... I had changed the plugs just before the turbo went in and your focus on Cyl. 1 prompted me to double-check the coil. Popped the hood and sure enough realized that my grounding strap on Cyl 1 was loose. Not yank it around sloppy loose but loose enough to where I could rotate the strap eyelet with my hand with only a little effort. Torqued the primary bolts and nuts to spec. I suspect that I missed torquing that nut entirely when I swapped the plugs and maybe over time it became looser. It might all be wishful thinking but my 3rd gear pull felt so smooth and predictable that I stayed out and grabbed a 4th gear log as well.

Here they are: https://datazap.me/u/stayingtuned/3rd-4th-gear-log-2nd-tune-iteration?log=1&data=6-8-16-17

Not sure what you keyed in on before but that break-up/stuttering was missing entirely this round. Hoping it isn't a fluke or wishful thinking, what say ye?

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
AFR still having issues. And I am confused on why you can't see both sets of injectors. I have ..."acquired" another tuners Cobb MPI log and primary and Cyl 1 clearly show different values, a split that would match what I would expect to see. Yours are the same and secondary shows nothing. Perhaps someone else with MPI and Cobb can chime in...

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
AFR still having issues. And I am confused on why you can't see both sets of injectors. I have ..."acquired" another tuners Cobb MPI log and primary and Cyl 1 clearly show different values, a split that would match what I would expect to see. Yours are the same and secondary shows nothing. Perhaps someone else with MPI and Cobb can chime in...

That's odd. I've emailed Alex to confirm MPI is operating as intended. Going to try to get some more runs in later today to see how she feels.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R

Alex got back to me on validating MPI, loaded the latest back up, gonna try it out here soon. My garage is below my youngest son’s room and I’m dying to fire it up and give it a go but he’ll most likely wake up. Response below:

“The split between DI and PI is logged via the Fuel System Injection Split. To see the injection Cyl X Inj Time MPI Pulse. This is however a command and not whether or not the injector is responding. The response you see in the fuel trims.“

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R