GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I think the two cones clearly identify it as drunk. Just like this Cobra was clearly wasted.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Thanks for this. Previously with the SuperPro plates I was at -2.16° / -2.14° to I was hoping to get it pretty even.

Assuming the same goes with the caster +/- 0.50°, looks like front caster was 7.57° / 7.62° when I first got lowering springs installed.

I would just say, its incredible to me that a machine can even measure to that tolerance from the distances and sizes it is measuring. I would expect to see variation set-up to set-up in that tolerance range. If you really cared you could do back-to-back runs of alignment with multiple set ups but that seems excessive.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Really? Even with no misfires or codes, and not much buildup (no pics?) you can tell?

Anyone else see this?

Yes the throttle response is much better and so is the power. If I had to guess at a HP improvement I would say that it feels like an additional 35 HP. Gets through the gears much faster now. And spins the wheels through most of second gear and it wasn't doing that before the cleaning. They gave me actual pictures but I'll ask them if they can email them to me to post.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Yes the throttle response is much better and so is the power. If I had to guess at a HP improvement I would say that it feels like an additional 35 HP. Gets through the gears much faster now. And spins the wheels through most of second gear and it wasn't doing that before the cleaning. They gave me actual pictures but I'll ask them if they can email them to me to post.
wow that's pretty surprising.

I had carbon cleaning done at 75k, I didn't notice any difference at all. The shop also said it wasn't that bad. I figure I'll probably do it again at 150k anyway if I make it that far...

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

I had carbon cleaning done at 75k, I didn't notice any difference at all. The shop also said it wasn't that bad. I figure I'll probably do it again at 150k anyway if I make it that far...

Yeah I had my valves cleaned at like 65K on my 2015 GTI and there was zero before/after difference

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Yeah I had my valves cleaned at like 65K on my 2015 GTI and there was zero before/after difference

I had the valves cleaned on my Speed3 @ 145k miles and it made a difference. Different car obviously, but same issue. Throttle response was much improved. I dunno about gaining 35hp, but it definitely ran better.

My GTI only has 8k miles on it so I'm far from dealing with that again, but I can believe that at 100k it would make a noticeable difference.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Carbon buildup problems on this car are greatly exaggerated. Unless you have a reason (track/aggro driving) to run a catch can then it's silly to use one.

The problem with carbon comes from the lack of mpi. If you really want to "avoid issues" then get that.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

I can't explain why it made such a difference in mine but I'm glad it did. FWIW I am FBO, BT and custom dyno tuned so maybe it makes more of a difference with higher power mods. Did you guys see before and after pictures?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Carbon buildup problems on this car are greatly exaggerated. Unless you have a reason (track/aggro driving) to run a catch can then it's silly to use one.

The problem with carbon comes from the lack of mpi. If you really want to "avoid issues" then get that.

Have to disagree that carbon buildup is greatly exaggerated. All I can tell you is that I was told that my OCC was the reason my carbon buildup was much less than they see on other cars with similar mileage without an OCC. Also the harder the car is driven it produces more blowby.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
They cannot say that with any certainty at all and your story is anecdotal - most OCC setups on MK7's capture extremely little oil on street driven cars.

The other 100k mile golfs theyve carbon cleaned (if any with the same mods you run) are probably highway warriors who never run the car hard. Of course the buildup was worse there.

Oil catch cans are needed on some models of cars with shit PCV designs and for some driving scenarios. An mk7 street driven golf is not one of them.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
They cannot say that with any certainty at all and your story is anecdotal - most OCC setups on MK7's capture extremely little oil on street driven cars.

The other 100k mile golfs theyve carbon cleaned (if any with the same mods you run) are probably highway warriors who never run the car hard. Of course the buildup was worse there.

Oil catch cans are needed on some models of cars with shit PCV designs and for some driving scenarios. An mk7 street driven golf is not one of them.

Ok we'll just agree to disagree.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I'm not saying anything about your individual experience with a carbon clean being beneficial - but the "occ made a big difference" is a super non-proven statement.

Like I said before, carbon buildup is mitigated by mpi, not an occ. Driving your car hard often also mitigates it and that's probably a lot more to do with your lower buildup than the occ.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm not saying anything about your individual experience with a carbon clean being beneficial - but the "occ made a big difference" is a super non-proven statement.

Like I said before, carbon buildup is mitigated by mpi, not an occ. Driving your car hard often also mitigates it and that's probably a lot more to do with your lower buildup than the occ.

Driving the car hard and often makes it worse because it produces more blowby.