GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FMIC questions

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I just got a baun ic, new in box from a local guy, it doesn't have the pretty pipe welding so I'm guessing it's an older model. Any performance differences I should be aware of?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I just got a baun ic, new in box from a local guy, it doesn't have the pretty pipe welding so I'm guessing it's an older model. Any performance differences I should be aware of?

Performance, materials used, and fitment has always been the same. Weld quality and aesthetics has grown to what it is today over the years but it’s the only difference.

If you’re unsure of anything or have a 2017 and newer car and want to ensure proper installation hardware was included just shoot me an email jlbaun26@gmail.com and I’ll send some out.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Thanks for the info, I'm checking with the seller.

I figured it was only cosmetic, everything looks tip top :)

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
It does perform better and the eBay ones get posted torn all the time. Buy two of them, it’s your money. I don’t need to talk anyone into it I’m booked out till mid September. The difference is theres absolutely zero in common so why anyone would compare the two is beyond me. That’s like me telling you to defend your GTI purchase to a Kia owner...have fun with that
Not arguing against or in favor of your product. Just saying that we look into intercoolers for one specific purpose (with what I believe relatively low, if any, risk of causing damage to other parts) and that is to help temps and keep IATs low. If we have concrete proof of one versus the other, we can put this shit to bed so people aren't arguing :(

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Not arguing against or in favor of your product. Just saying that we look into intercoolers for one specific purpose (with what I believe relatively low, if any, risk of causing damage to other parts) and that is to help temps and keep IATs low. If we have concrete proof of one versus the other, we can put this shit to bed so people aren't arguing :(

The reality is that people would still argue.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

All aftermarket intercoolers perform night and day better than OEM and within a few percent of each other. Air to Air Intercoolers can only match ambient air temperature at an absolute maximum efficiency. There’s literally dozens of options to choose from, and no one stands out as the best choice for everyone, period.

What’s universal here is that any mk7 making more than stock power needs an intercooler upgrade to make consistent power no matter where you live or how you drive it.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Pretty simple to resolve this. Test Jake's FMIC vs Ebay and see if it's worth it. I could fucking care less about anything else honestly (fit, finish, material, etc., given no one's has fallen apart yet). If his performs considerably better, than we can put the debate to rest.
But ebay only has direct fit and twintercoolers. Jakes is a true FMIC.

Regardless, I don't think Jake has anything to prove, clearly he has clientele that know what they're getting and how much it costs.

Great about this platform is there are plenty of options for most aftermarket parts. Cheap or expensive, quality/lack-of, authentic, knock-off...whatever floats your boat.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
It does perform better and the eBay ones get posted torn all the time. Buy two of them, it’s your money. I don’t need to talk anyone into it I’m booked out till mid September. The difference is theres absolutely zero in common so why anyone would compare the two is beyond me. That’s like me telling you to defend your GTI purchase to a Kia owner...have fun with that

Rather than buy two, what a person could do is buy one of the Majesty bicoolers and a back up set of hoses. Then a back up for the back up hoses, and then a back up for the back up of the back up; at that point they'd still be ahead on cost versus a Baun FMIC.

It's in your interest to portray them poorly, i.e. they get "torn all the time".

If your product is performing well and made of quality components show the proof and leave it at that. You refer to doing "actual R&D" and testing, how about showing that instead of bad mouthing the competition? If you're going to speak poorly of alternatives you ought to bring some proof. Somebody suggests testing two ICs against one another and you say they have "absolutely zero in common"? :unsure:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Rather than buy two, what a person could do is buy one of the Majesty bicoolers and a back up set of hoses. Then a back up for the back up hoses, and then a back up for the back up of the back up; at that point they'd still be ahead on cost versus a Baun FMIC.

It's in your interest to portray them poorly, i.e. they get "torn all the time".

If your product is performing well and made of quality components show the proof and leave it at that. You refer to doing "actual R&D" and testing, how about showing that instead of bad mouthing the competition? If you're going to speak poorly of alternatives you ought to bring some proof. Somebody suggests testing two ICs against one another and you say they have "absolutely zero in common"? :unsure:

Absolutely zero in common in how they’re built and who would shop for them. Did you cross shop a Kia Rio when you bought your gti?

Clearly you didn’t read anything from my last reply so you’re going on my ignore list. I don’t have time to argue about literally nothing

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

What did he do to you? I've seen numerous times where Jake recommended another competing product.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Some people just seem to like making illogical arguments against proven products. He seems to have a problem with product mark up, while driving a car based entirely on product mark up. Does anyone really think a 12V lighter plug costs $17?

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32

Typically I don't feed the trolls, but you're still pretty new to this forum (based on your join date), so you may just be uninformed. If you spend some time here you will find plenty of examples of Jake's R&D and find plenty of examples of issues with the ebay twintercooler.

He's constantly posting pics of his own craftsmanship in his garage workshop, working/test fitments on his own and customers/donor cars to research and develop (shocking I know...) the parts he makes and sells. There's a massive thread in the exhaust forum where he shares his knowledge.

Conversely, I'm sure you can find dozens of posts about people who buy the ebay twintercooler and have issues (most notably how the hoses don't stay on because they are too big).

To me though it doesn't seem like you are asking questions because you are interested in educating yourself about the Baun intercooler, you just want to downplay it for some reason. Like I said before, if you want a cheaper option there are plenty out there and no one is stopping you from buying something else.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
So on the topic of ICs. Reading through this thread it looks like Tube/fin are preferred over bar/plate. Is this just for FMICs or would this logic also carry over to stock location replacements?

I'm looking at the Burger Motorsport MQB Platform Intercooler Upgrade, which is a stock IC location replacement but is Bar/Plate. I've got a '17 GSW S with no grill sensor to block a FMIC and i'm currently researching options myself by reading through the threads on the forums. Just figured since this was an active topic at the moment I'd pop in and ask.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So on the topic of ICs. Reading through this thread it looks like Tube/fin are preferred over bar/plate. Is this just for FMICs or would this logic also carry over to stock location replacements?

I'm looking at the Burger Motorsport MQB Platform Intercooler Upgrade, which is a stock IC location replacement but is Bar/Plate. I've got a '17 GSW S with no grill sensor to block a FMIC and i'm currently researching options myself by reading through the threads on the forums. Just figured since this was an active topic at the moment I'd pop in and ask.

Almost all aftermarket intercoolers are bar and plate, and that’s the preferred core for several reasons.

Heat exchangers in general have a lot of dynamics to consider, you can google and read for days (doesn’t necessarily have to be Mk7 specific).