GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FMIC questions

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Better? Definitely. Much better? I haven't seen FMIC users who left their stock IC in place complaining of high water temps any more than aftermarket direct fit IC users.

But people definitely seem to get wrapped up in creating endurance race ready cooling solutions capable of non-stop hot lapping for their daily drivers. If you're a 10+ weekend HPDE track rat or chasing a 1/4 mile record cool, but most people asking for an intercooler suggestion for their stage 1 tune aren't.

Never said it was much better, its just not an elegant solution and you dont gain anything by leaving it. Does it do better than stock? Most defiantly no questions asked. Is the 7.5lbs of weight a big deal? Not really, I could much more cheaply lose 7.5lbs of fat myself. Like I said before I like the idea Jake has of removing it for a bigger version of one of the other heat exchanges that are functioning in that location currently. It just seems like hack job solution leaving it unused there.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Anyone tried this with a FMIC? Lots of work but I like the benefits

https://www.armmotorsports.com/products/oem-intercooler-delete-kit

Despite that being for an MKV/VI, that looks like the most pointless mod available. One of the biggest reasons people choose FMIC's is because they're far easier to install than getting to the stock location IC. If you're going to go through all that trouble to take it out, why not just put in a better stock location replacement?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
But people definitely seem to get wrapped up in creating endurance race ready cooling solutions capable of non-stop hot lapping for their daily drivers. If you're a 10+ weekend HPDE track rat or chasing a 1/4 mile record cool, but most people asking for an intercooler suggestion for their stage 1 tune aren't.
be cautions when trying to reason by means of real world scenarios,unless you are well versed in speculation and armchair racing you'll fall on deaf ears...

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Despite that being for an MKV/VI, that looks like the most pointless mod available. One of the biggest reasons people choose FMIC's is because they're far easier to install than getting to the stock location IC. If you're going to go through all that trouble to take it out, why not just put in a better stock location replacement?

I think you’re not seeing the weight benefits talked about in previous posts. Plenty of “pointless” mods would be higher on the list lol

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I think you’re not seeing the weight benefits talked about in previous posts. Plenty of “pointless” mods would be higher on the list lol

What weight benefits? There will be a small weight savings if you use a FMIC and remove the stock IC, sure. But my point is, if you're going to go through the hassle of taking apart the front enough to remove the stock IC, why not just use a direct fit IC instead of an FMIC? Normally, people choose an FMIC becuase they don't feel like the hassle of removing and changing their stock IC. I've never heard somebody say "I went with a FMIC because it performs better than a direct fit replacement," nor have I seen anything showing an FMIC performing better than a good direct fit replacement.

Removing the stock IC and using just a FMIC would be all the hassle of changing your IC (with a direct fit replacement) but with none of the benefits. I just don't understand who that product would be aimed at. I guess options are always good though?

Brian_

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Never said it was much better, its just not an elegant solution and you dont gain anything by leaving it. Does it do better than stock? Most defiantly no questions asked. Is the 7.5lbs of weight a big deal? Not really, I could much more cheaply lose 7.5lbs of fat myself. Like I said before I like the idea Jake has of removing it for a bigger version of one of the other heat exchanges that are functioning in that location currently. It just seems like hack job solution leaving it unused there.

It’s a heat exchanger sandwiched between two other heat exchangers that are trying to reject heat. Would be much better for them if it was removed if it isn’t doing anything taking the heat from them or blocking flow that doesn’t need to be blocked.

My bad, read that as you saying much better performing but assuming you meant much better just in terms of elegance and being a "complete solution". As far as gaining nothing, yeah it's 100% for convenience/laziness.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
This. I’ve never had a single report of degraded AC performance, so that’s a pretty random assumption lol

Some people have noted slightly higher oil temperatures, but that’s what happens when you get new go fast parts and drive the car harder. Coolant temperature directly effects oil temp, but as you guys know the coolant gauge in our cars isn’t accurate.

If using the best available components and American manufacturing is “gold plated” then what’s that make ARM?

Just the reducer couplers alone in my kit to match the OEM tubing size cost $50+ at my cost and they’re the only properly sized reducer couplers for that application on the market. Vote with your dollar, but you’re not buying the name you’re buying actual R&D, customer support, and most importantly QUALITY materials.

You can “save” all you want by buying lessor products, but paying $500 for $69 worth of crap doesn’t make it a “deal” it just means you paid a lot for a little.

Again, I couldn’t care less what intercooler you buy, but don’t drag my name through the mud because you think I should focus on a price point vs quality...that’s what everyone else does so save that speech for them. Almost all of my competitors are in E commerce exclusively, not manufacturing so much like Nike shoes it’s sweat shop products with an American or Canadians brand name on it bought in bulk and marked up 60-95% then sold to you.

At the end of the day I stay booked out a month or more and turn down work regularly, so you’re not hurting my feelings although turning your nose up at those who appreciate what I do is pretty backwards...do you pee on Lambo door handles at cars and coffee too?

Just as you can give your opinion of the products that compete against yours as being "crap" and "bottom of the barrel" and probably other unflattering things in other posts, I can give my opinion that what you are selling is costlier than other options for the performance delivered.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Just as you can give your opinion of the products that compete against yours as being "crap" and "bottom of the barrel" and probably other unflattering things in other posts, I can give my opinion that what you are selling is costlier than other options for the performance delivered.

I don’t know if Jake is the most costly but he has the best quality. Plus it's a side gig for him.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I don’t know if Jake is the most costly but he has the best quality. Plus it's a side gig for him.

I don't think anyone will argue against his quality, but it does get awfully tiring seeing his attitude of any product that competes against his own being absolute crap and garbage.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Pretty simple to resolve this. Test Jake's FMIC vs Ebay and see if it's worth it. I could fucking care less about anything else honestly (fit, finish, material, etc., given no one's has fallen apart yet). If his performs considerably better, than we can put the debate to rest.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Pretty simple to resolve this. Test Jake's FMIC vs Ebay and see if it's worth it. I could fucking care less about anything else honestly (fit, finish, material, etc., given no one's has fallen apart yet). If his performs considerably better, than we can put the debate to rest.

It does perform better and the eBay ones get posted torn all the time. Buy two of them, it’s your money. I don’t need to talk anyone into it I’m booked out till mid September. The difference is theres absolutely zero in common so why anyone would compare the two is beyond me. That’s like me telling you to defend your GTI purchase to a Kia owner...have fun with that

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Just show the Solid R&D. We all have opinions.
There isn’t one engineered IC design that discloses enough information, only vague claims. If anyone has something more solid, post it, list it, advertise it. Even then it is subject to scrutiny.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Just show the Solid R&D. We all have opinions.
There isn’t one engineered IC design that discloses enough information, only vague claims. If anyone has something more solid, post it, list it, advertise it. Even then it is subject to scrutiny.

Yeah sure, three companies use the same or similar IC as me so I should point out all of the things I’ve found through testing to make it a complete kit. Should I just email them directly?