GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Supercrumpet

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SE 6MT
Seriously considering getting coils for my Alltrack in the near future, around 10K miles (currently at ~8300 but I'm racking up the miles pretty quickly). I've done some reading and seen that the general consensus is to replace the front strut mounts at the same time, and the 034Motorsport replacements seem to be generally recommended (even though quite a few of their other products aren't recommended due to quality issues?).

Regardless, my main questions are:
Should I replace front upper strut mounts at 10K? I feel like the answer will be "probably, since I'll be in there anyways," based on what I've read so far.
Should I replace bearings, also considering my mileage? If so, which ones are recommended?
What about rear upper shock mounts? I know there are aftermarket alternatives out there but I rarely see that it's recommended to replace them, at least relative to the fronts. Do they just see less wear?
I don't need to worry about bushings this early, right?

Thanks.

Bump on this. If I'm better off making a thread in the suspension subforum, I'll do that.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
When programming the helix with the dongle, you select the file and press in the button. Can't seem to find any specifics on how to tell if the flash was taken. Is it normal for the "." to show for a few moments and then it to flash PF (or FP) and then the programming number chosen repeatedly?

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Any have the part #'s for the 3 bolts for the dogbone / pendulum mount handy?

Or better yet, identical bolts that are not TTY?

Trying to get everything together so I can get to work this weekend.
There isn't an identical bolt that is not TTY. Unless you can confirm the proper torque values needed and ensure that the clamping force of the bolt is right at all times. The bolt is cheap, just use the proper one for peace of mind

Last edited:

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
There isn't an identical bolt that is not TTY. Thats why they use TTY fasteners. The bolt is cheap, just use the proper one for peace of mind

I found the two OEM forward bolts but the long rear bolt is not listed in the parts catalog I'm looking at for some reason. It's on the diagram but not on the parts list. Just need the # for that one.

Agray

Go Kart Champion
Any suggestions as to what I should ask for when getting an alignment with coilovers? Should I just ask for a "factory spec" alignment or would I benefit from something more specific? I daily the car and have no plans to track it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Any suggestions as to what I should ask for when getting an alignment with coilovers? Should I just ask for a "factory spec" alignment or would I benefit from something more specific? I daily the car and have no plans to track it.

If you want the best treadwear stay with the stock alignment specs.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
VWs ex boss Martin Winterkorn and four others were charged with " organized commercial fraud" (similar to US RICO charges). On another note, Klaus Zellmer, who is currently the head of Porsche USA, will be going to Germany to take over as "Head of Distribution" (essentially Sales) for VW.

Given his recent experience in the US, I wonder if that will affect the future lineup in the US.

What about his recent experience could affect the lineup in the US?

cb1111

We need someone for an (unfortunately) unpaid internship for a social media project

Completely off topic but somebody might have an idea:

A non profit military advocacy organization a colleague of mine is working with is looking for a social media savvy person who has some military experience.

I don't think that this is a particularly involved project (but we're a bunch of old farts) that will require someone to create a strategy for the organization - for example - what information should go on Facebook/Twitter? What other social media sites should be considered?

I got asked if I knew somebody this morning and looked at their website. The content was great but didn't render correctly on a phone, the "chat" was really a "leave us a message" and the "contact us" was a personal AOL email.

I was looking for a copy of Netscape to see how it would look on that platform.

If you know of somebody who might be interested in helping out a bit, then please drop me a private message