GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Harness Bar

SpaCeDust

Passed Driver's Ed
When you install the quick fit pros, how to you take out the plastic moldings that are hiding the seatbelt bolts? Going to a machine shop to turn down the front bolt to 12mm so it can accomodate the harness. If anyone finds a video of the install would be great.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
the base attaches to the floor and the rear bar has 2 brackets that use the rear seat belt studs and then 4 isofix points

EE43318E-0DBF-484E-86BD-C2AEF276A6E3.jpeg
4D0CBAC0-D9CE-431D-BFE4-8496A28B8F2E.jpeg
F8A8F4C5-EE9C-48E6-B0D0-51142A583E71.jpeg
A483B20A-B285-4082-942F-39AC9CDB7F78.jpeg
85F9027A-989C-487C-A79D-8B7C33A3983E.jpeg
211217A9-5BB0-4797-A6F0-7F58E0B69D1D.jpeg
09BE8937-92F6-4D0C-89FF-6918F1D944D8.jpeg

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I was looking for the mounting point detail on this cross bar.
0F819F6F-1EBF-493E-B484-0C6565FD4152.jpeg

marka

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Howdy,

How are you folks mounting the lap belt portion of your harnesses?

I tend to like just adding a 3" latch/link lap belt only for autox, using the OE lap belt mounting points. When I glanced at my mk7 GTI, I couldn't easily see how the outside belt mount worked. But other issues have been more pressing, so I've just been twisting the OE belt around to lock it for now. I don't want to take the car on the track doing that however (with the lap belt setup, I wear the OE belt underneath and the lap belt over that... Which I think is likely to work better without a real roll structure).

Mark

SpaCeDust

Passed Driver's Ed
reviving thread from the beyond..... what's the concensus on universal harness bars? Our cars use a 49" harness bar and companies like NRG and Braun make universal harness bars of that size? Is it safe/worth it?

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
reviving thread from the beyond..... what's the concensus on universal harness bars? Our cars use a 49" harness bar and companies like NRG and Braun make universal harness bars of that size? Is it safe/worth it?
For what purpose? A harness bar as an addition on its own is only "safe" at an autocross and only when you have zero chance of collision. A harness bar is a "hold you in your seat device" and very far from a safety device.

Acceptable levels of car prep:

For the street, nothing but stock belts, stock seat, and stock airbags is actually "safe". If you put a full cage in, the airbags need to go and you need to be wearing a helmet. If you put a half cage in, similar rules to full if you go to a fixed seat, but a stock seat and stock seat belt would technically be okay, as long as the front seats have enough room to lean 6-10" back in case of a rear end collision when you and your passenger are in. At no time of any sort should you ever have any living or breathing thing in the rear seats if you have a full cage, a half cage, or a harness bar.

For street and track use, only the schroth pro quick fit is considered suitable in a car that can use stock belts on the street and the schroth on course.

For solely track use you're looking at a half or full cage with proper fixed seats and either factory or welded supports/mounts.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
According to PCA Potomac HPDE tech form:
"Harness guide bars can only be used to guide shoulder straps, NOT secure them, unless the manufacturer provides written proof. Angle of shoulder harness cannot be more than 30 degrees above nor more than 10 degrees below the horizontal plane of the shoulders, and must follow the manufacturer installation specs."

It looks like the Schroth shoulder harness attaches to the rear passenger anchor points, and without a harness bar, places the shoulder harness greater than 10 degrees below the plane of the shoulder. In my reading of this form, it would not be allowed without an approved harness bar.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
According to PCA Potomac HPDE tech form:
"Harness guide bars can only be used to guide shoulder straps, NOT secure them, unless the manufacturer provides written proof. Angle of shoulder harness cannot be more than 30 degrees above nor more than 10 degrees below the horizontal plane of the shoulders, and must follow the manufacturer installation specs."

It looks like the Schroth shoulder harness attaches to the rear passenger anchor points, and without a harness bar, places the shoulder harness greater than 10 degrees below the plane of the shoulder. In my reading of this form, it would not be allowed without an approved harness bar.
Yeah, but the schroth isn't treated like an actual harness because it does allow for movement with the factory safety system. I know our local pca, nasa, scca groups all allow them. Regions vary though, so when in doubt I would email the director or head DE person.