GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why can't service centers just change the oil properly?

PureWhiteMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Wow there are a lot of excuses for bad work here! Just to clear things up minimum wage in Los Angeles is $13 an hour and low wages don't always mean bad service, but bad management usually does. A similar business I visit at least once every 2 years I will mention by name is Big Brand Tire and Service that somehow defies the odds and has never given me the kind of experience I just got. They do what they promise and if I have a special request they actually do it. I know most of the guys that work there by name and they love their job. They have the same kind of pressures and shit work that any other service department does but that company understands just doing what you promise and doing it correctly. They also enjoy the job enough to pass tips to the customer and explain ways to keep your tires safe and lasting longer. No money involved and yes I keep coming back.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
VW’s official acceptable amount of oil consumption in their turbo engines is .5 quarts per 1K miles. Their factory OCI is 10K, and the engines take approximately 5 quarts.

Read that again
So I went to a local dealer to get my oil changed (my car came with 2 services rolled into the deal) and of course
they overfilled by 1/2 quart and overfilled coolant by 12 ounces. Even after I said to the service advisor please make sure nothing
is overfilled as I will not accept it. To top it off there were drips and smears all over the engine. Why can't dealers just do it correctly?
It's just as easy as F-ing it up. I filled out the survey and got a call the next day from the manager and he was sorry but hemmed and hawed
and I told him high heat turbo engines are notorious for leaking anyway and they should be doing it correctly every time.
So free service coming if I want it. I mean are they trying to F cars up? I don't get it. OK rant over. 😎
Did read it again and posting it for reference.
Burning oil isn’t “leaking” oil - clearly different.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
It's amazing how old people often try to relate their upbringing as if it's applicable to today. It's funny that it's usually older people who treat minimum wage employees like dog shit too.
But that's besides the point of the OP.

OP, oil changes don't make much money for the dealership. In your case, net negative because you're not paying anything. They're trying to get you out of a bay as fast as possible to get another car in to generate actual revenue. For a majority of consumers, most people won't even pop their hood, let alone check the dipstick. There's a sensor that tells the dumdums if it's too low, and .5qt won't cause any damage to the motor. You get what you pay for.
The ignorance, blatant disrespect, and blind consensus statements of youth is blissful.
Here is one:
If someone is earning a minimum wage; spend more time improving that dilemma instead of spending that time on social media wasting it.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
The extractor is the problem. Rather, lazy fucks using the extractor. It doesn’t get all the oil out. It can leave 50-600ml behind. Clearly dude didn’t suck all the oil out of the engine. He probably threw 6 qts in there and called it a day.

With the extractor. You gotta toss in 5 and a half quarts. Let the motor run at least 5 minutes. Turn it off. Wait a minute or two. Then measure and add if needed.
Come on M8...using oil extractor = lazy?
No need to get over emotional using foul language. Facts from personal application are more poignant than getting them from internet searches.

Last edited:

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
Wow there are a lot of excuses for bad work here! Just to clear things up minimum wage in Los Angeles is $13 an hour and low wages don't always mean bad service, but bad management usually does. A similar business I visit at least once every 2 years I will mention by name is Big Brand Tire and Service that somehow defies the odds and has never given me the kind of experience I just got. They do what they promise and if I have a special request they actually do it. I know most of the guys that work there by name and they love their job. They have the same kind of pressures and shit work that any other service department does but that company understands just doing what you promise and doing it correctly. They also enjoy the job enough to pass tips to the customer and explain ways to keep your tires safe and lasting longer. No money involved and yes I keep coming back.
My first job was at a tire shop, and I started at almost 50% higher than minimum wage. CA was 6.75 and I started at 10. This was over 15 years ago, so who knows what their starting pay is now, but I don't think you're comparing apples to apples.
BTW quit saying do the oil change yourself... I already do but 2 services came with the car.
Why? Just because you have them doesn't mean you have to use them. I would imagine the time it takes to drive to the dealership, wait for an oil service, and drive home will take longer than doing it yourself all while not restricting yourself to dealership hours. Plus, you'll know you did it correctly, used a higher quality oil, and didn't damage your car like they did my steering wheel when I took it in for a recall. If you normally do it yourself, is it really worth saving the $25?

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Sure a lot of hate here. And many generalizations. I’m not saying the dealer didn’t screw up but this is a classic case of 1%’s on forums complaining when 99% of services are without complaint.

So you get 2 free changes and are getting them done by a dealer who messed up your car?
”The food is so bad here and the portions are way too small.”

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Come on M8...using oil extractor = lazy?
No need to get over emotional using foul language. Facts from personal application are more poignant than getting them from internet searches.
Read again plz. Lazy fucks using it is a problem. Internet searches? I worked in a vw dealership. I’m speaking from experience. I was there when vw introduced the extractors.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Read again plz. Lazy fucks using it is a problem. Internet searches? I worked in a vw dealership. I’m speaking from experience. I was there when vw introduced the extractors.

I don't use the dealer for oil changes but my dealer still drains the oil. They're not going to miss their chance to sell you a $1 drain plug for $10.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
LMFAO! That’s so dealership of em

Great dealership actually. Easy to get warranty work done when tuned depending on the actual repair. I've read others say that their dealer wouldn't warranty the thermostat housing leak since they were tuned and that's not a problem at Penske.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
eehs360 said:
The extractor is the problem. Rather, lazy fucks using the extractor. It doesn’t get all the oil out. It can leave 50-600ml behind. Clearly dude didn’t suck all the oil out of the engine. He probably threw 6 qts in there and called it a day.

With the extractor. You gotta toss in 5 and a half quarts. Let the motor run at least 5 minutes. Turn it off. Wait a minute or two. Then measure and add if needed.

Perhaps using "is not" or "isn't" would have helped in deciphering what it was you were saying. To include, placing a comma after "problem," and then continuing to finish it as a complete sentence.
At times, syntax can be lost if sentences aren't structured well.
I would agree very much that 600ml of oil left in the pan is very half-fast.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Great dealership actually. Easy to get warranty work done when tuned depending on the actual repair. I've read others say that their dealer wouldn't warranty the thermostat housing leak since they were tuned and that's not a problem at Penske.
Nice! I wonder if my dealership would do the oil change the way our forefathers did for the price of a new drain plug hmm