GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why can't service centers just change the oil properly?

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
It depends who does it and how much of a fuck they give.

Up to 50-600ml can be left behind, and that’s if you give a fuck. Ever hear about people who measure after an oil change at the dealer and they’re over by half a qt? That’s because dude who did the oil change left half a qt of old oil in the pan. And decided to just add 6 and call it a day.

Imagine following vw’s maintenance plan. Changing your oil every 10k miles. Yet carrying a significant overage due to someone not sucking more of it out.

No thanks. Fuck extractors. I remember when they were first rolled into my dealership. Dude who was showing us how to use it sucked as much as possible. Lifted the car. Removed the plug. We measured out about 150-200ml.

Nope. Extractor oil changes should be cheaper considering the job isn’t being done right.

I've seen it at 100-150ml left behind. I've tried putting in about half quart back in and extract it out. You'll see the dirty oil come out...then it'll be clear. I'm willing to be that in the long term...that bit of left over oil will make zero difference in engine wear.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I've seen it at 100-150ml left behind. I've tried putting in about half quart back in and extract it out. You'll see the dirty oil come out...then it'll be clear. I'm willing to be that in the long term...that bit of left over oil will make zero difference in engine wear.
Where I worked. We saw way way more than that. As much as 600ml

In the grand scheme of things. Why tempt the devil. Do the oil change right

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
I know they don't make much but they are getting paid by VW since it was listed on the window sticker. Granted I paid way less than sticker but that's not the point.
If we all change oil properly why can't a professional how does it for a living?

You missed the point. Oil changes don't make money, period. It doesn't matter who is covering the cost, it's not worth the dealership's time. Monetarily speaking, dealerships would rather you take your car to jiffy lube than bring it in to the dealership for an oil change. They're charging maybe $50 for an oil change? With that, they need to pay for all the supplies, your service writer, tech who does the oil change and complimentary inspection, the guy who does your car wash (who is still paid for his time there regardless if you get it washed or not), and whoever else is involved. They do it because the average customer expects them to perform oil changes and they hope it brings in customers for other service in the future that can generate profit.

Techs are probably paid less than $10 to get an oil change done. Of course there's huge incentive to get the car out as fast as possible and get another car in so they can get paid. At home, we're not operating as if our livelihood depends on getting the oil change done as fast as possible. To compare a tech doing a mindless job that won't pay them anything compared to someone taking their sweet time, cracking open a beer, and just chilling is stupid. And this is why mindless jobs should be done at home.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
No lube tech at a dealer will treat your car like you do - smudges on the engine? Wipe them off. Are you above the max line on the dipstick? They should fix that and bring it within the specs lined out in the manual (not above the top line). Simple. Ask them to fix it. Free oil changes are there to get you to buy extra services but on a new car, they don't get those. Wam bam thank you mam. If you want things done right and are v. anal about your car, learn to do this yourself after the freebies are done. Going from the top with an extractor or bottom with some ramps is fine on these cars and is v. easy to DIY - tools are pretty inexpensive for something you do several times a year. I remember having my freebies on my last car (Focus) and had them always done at the dealer b/c I had 7 years worth of them - I'm a DIY'er so this is v. painful for me..hahhaha...opened the hood after each change before I left the lot. The one time I didn't, drive home and smoke everywhere under the hood..they forgot to put the cap back on. Oil all over my clean bay. Just had them fix it/clean it up..not much else you can really do and I didn't lose my mind about it.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG

Yep. And it's worth noting that no oil change, whether extractor method or drain, gets ALL the oil out of the engine... there will always be some sitting in nooks and crannies.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Yep. And it's worth noting that no oil change, whether extractor method or drain, gets ALL the oil out of the engine... there will always be some sitting in nooks and crannies.
It just doesn't matter....so many do extractor oil changes and it's been shown repeatedly to only leave a small amount that of course volumetrically is diluted to basically zero. It's funny to me b/c I bet 75% of the people here don't keep their cars more than 3-5 years anyway.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
i was told multiple times by dealers its 1qt per 1k is within spec

Okay so that’s even worse. I thought it was 1 quart but that seemed too ridiculous so I said .5 to be safe. If it’s “acceptable” for an engine to burn 1 whole quart of oil every 1K miles, and the engine has factory recommended 10K OCI, and the engine only has 6 quarts, you can burn all of your oil by 6K miles, and it would be considered normal.

That doesn’t make any sense. My 2012 GTI lost oil pressure due to burning oil and the lost oil pressure lead to the timing chain tensioner snapping, grenading the top end. It was under warranty but I got rid of that car bc I didn’t want an oil burner

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Okay so that’s even worse. I thought it was 1 quart but that seemed too ridiculous so I said .5 to be safe. If it’s “acceptable” for an engine to burn 1 whole quart of oil every 1K miles, and the engine has factory recommended 10K OCI, and the engine only has 6 quarts, you can burn all of your oil by 6K miles, and it would be considered normal.

That doesn’t make any sense. My 2012 GTI lost oil pressure due to burning oil and the lost oil pressure lead to the timing chain tensioner snapping, grenading the top end. It was under warranty but I got rid of that car bc I didn’t want an oil burner
I suggest folks watch this to understand why manufactures say this is normal - it's a trade off and doesn't mean your rings/seals etc. are bad. It's what you get running thinner oils for higher efficiency is all. I have never seen one consume that much but losing some over an interval is really pretty normal.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
It just doesn't matter....so many do extractor oil changes and it's been shown repeatedly to only leave a small amount that of course volumetrically is diluted to basically zero. It's funny to me b/c I bet 75% of the people here don't keep their cars more than 3-5 years anyway.

Oh I know.... Was agreeing with you. I'm a huge extractor fan, it's a no brainer to use that method on our cars, easiest oil changes I've ever done since I first started doing them 30 years ago 😁

PureWhiteMk7

Go Kart Newbie
You missed the point. Oil changes don't make money, period. It doesn't matter who is covering the cost, it's not worth the dealership's time. Monetarily speaking, dealerships would rather you take your car to jiffy lube than bring it in to the dealership for an oil change. They're charging maybe $50 for an oil change? With that, they need to pay for all the supplies, your service writer, tech who does the oil change and complimentary inspection, the guy who does your car wash (who is still paid for his time there regardless if you get it washed or not), and whoever else is involved. They do it because the average customer expects them to perform oil changes and they hope it brings in customers for other service in the future that can generate profit.

Techs are probably paid less than $10 to get an oil change done. Of course there's huge incentive to get the car out as fast as possible and get another car in so they can get paid. At home, we're not operating as if our livelihood depends on getting the oil change done as fast as possible. To compare a tech doing a mindless job that won't pay them anything compared to someone taking their sweet time, cracking open a beer, and just chilling is stupid. And this is why mindless jobs should be done at home.
This is total denial of what it takes to earn a customers trust. I may never go back there for anything after that experience.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Oh I know.... Was agreeing with you. I'm a huge extractor fan, it's a no brainer to use that method on our cars, easiest oil changes I've ever done since I first started doing them 30 years ago 😁
I actually still do ramps/old school/drain plug b/c I really like getting under and looking around.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I tend to do my looking around on tire rotations nowadays. My next oil change I'll probably replace the drain plug as well as it will coincide with the rotation. Although it's already been done by various you tubers, I think I will do my own experiment and see how much oil is left after using the extractor.