GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 GTI to be revealed in March

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I agree. BlackBerry's are just doing so well these days.

I remember they were all the rage. I had a few of them. I also had one for work. The Curve 2 was the last BB I had. They weren't exactly the most user friendly phones to use. I did like the trackball in the middle of the phone😁.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
EF1586C5-42A2-44A0-85B5-0B4430C9E330.jpeg

Found one in my cabinet

Anyone know VWoA BBM? I gotta send them a message about the MK8

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
the current VW version that is 'greater than 10%' (call it 10.01%) fixed and closer to 60% max to the rear

Where are you getting this? The haldex just clamps down and connects the rear diff to the front diff's "crown wheel" through the transfer case and driveshaft... if the haldex has enough pressure, it can lock the front and rear 50/50... the RS3 has the same unit but the most aggressive tune, for example.... I dont see how this system can do 60% to the rear though?

Also, it totally coasts at 0%.... the transfer case and the driveshaft still spin, but the haldex wont be clamping down, so the rear diff isn't actually receiving torque.... Thats the inefficiency of our system, the entire driveshaft and transfer case still spins when "FWD mode"...

And the way the system decides how much to clamp is by detecting the difference in wheel speed between the front and rear axles... the greater the difference, the more the haldex clamps down... hence the "FWD bias"....

See it in action for yourself (thanks @MiamiBourne)

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Where are you getting this? The haldex just clamps down and connects the rear diff to the front diff's "crown wheel" through the transfer case and driveshaft... if the haldex has enough pressure, it can lock the front and rear 50/50... the RS3 has the same unit but the most aggressive tune, for example.... I dont see how this system can do 60% to the rear.
Haldex v5 is touted as having a fixed ratio of "over 10%" to the rear in all applications. So it is not 100% fwd statically, unlike the 4 previous versions. I misspoke about 60% max, that's only the Focus RS that's capable of slightly overdriving the rear drive shaft to achieve that. You are correct that the max is 50% to the rear. There is some discussion that in slip conditions, v5 can indeed transfer 100% to the front, but it still defaults to 90/10 with no slip.

From the following article:
The current fifth-gen Haldex can sends about 10-15 per cent of power to the rear in normal driving and more when the fronts slip. How much more is a matter of debate. Not more than 50 per cent is generally agreed, although Ford claims 70 per cent for its new Focus RS (not confirmed as Haldex, but likely). All Haldex will say is that it depends on the customer.

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/features/haldex--the-truth/31854

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Well if you rotate the rear wheels on a lift with the car off the drive shaft spins. I'm not gonna make a claim about what percentage that translates to, but it's more than zero.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Well if you rotate the rear wheels on a lift with the car off the drive shaft spins. I'm not gonna make a claim about what percentage that translates to, but it's more than zero.
Exactly. Mk4 and Mk5 won't, but 6 and 7 have Gen 5 Haldex that's not 100% fwd.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Exactly. Mk4 and Mk5 won't, but 6 and 7 have Gen 5 Haldex that's not 100% fwd.

I'm dubious of the claims like 10-15% and "up 50%" ..... I have never seen a golf spin its 4 wheels at once, there is always wheel-spin in the front axle... the haldex slips, I dont think its possible for it to press down on the clutch pack hard-enough.

I think its similar with the "10-15%" ... its just what the pressure plate on the hadlex clamps to without any hydraulic aid... if the speed/torque difference between the front and rear axles is large enough, even with he system off (like when spinning the rear wheels while the car is up in the air), it will eventually slip... the haldex is not welded together, there is no physical connection.

They do the same claims with the VAQ differential on the GTI ... "can send up to 100% of available torque to one wheel" and people think it does troque vectoring or something.

All the VAQ is, is a Haldex in place of a transfer case, connected again directly to the front diff's crown wheel / input. If one wheel looses grip in the open-diff front end, and starts spinning, it detects it... so it clamps down and locks the right axle to the crown wheel directly, by-passing the open diff...

So it's LOCKING the front end, there is no torque vectoring like a NSX would do. The "up to 100%" is marketing... if one wheel is off the ground and the system is locked, then technically yes 100% of torque goes to the wheel with traction.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I'm dubious of the claims like 10-15% and "up 50%" ..... I have never seen a golf spin its 4 wheels at once, there is always wheel-spin in the front axle... the haldex slips, I dont think its possible for it to press down on the clutch pack hard-enough.

I think its similar with the "10-15%" ... its just what the pressure plate on the hadlex clamps to without any hydraulic aid... if the speed/torque difference between the front and rear axles is large enough, even with he system off (like when spinning the rear wheels while the car is up in the air), it will eventually slip... the haldex is not welded together, there is no physical connection.

They do the same claims with the VAQ differential on the GTI ... "can send up to 100% of available torque to one wheel" and people think it does troque vectoring or something.

All the VAQ is, is a Haldex in place of a transfer case, connected again directly to the front diff's crown wheel / input. If one wheel looses grip in the open-diff front end, and starts spinning, it detects it... so it clamps down and locks the right axle to the crown wheel directly, by-passing the open diff...

So it's LOCKING the front end, there is no torque vectoring like a NSX would do. The "up to 100%" is marketing... if one wheel is off the ground and the system is locked, then technically yes 100% of torque goes to the wheel with traction.
The Mk8 R will supposedly have torque vectoring, and the M135i shown above does have torque vectoring.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
The Mk8 R will supposedly have torque vectoring, and the M135i shown above does have torque vectoring.
Are you sure about this? The M135i is using Haldex v5, with no mechanical lsd. From this article:
Brake-based torque vectoring is also standard and will drag the brake on the inside front wheel to tighten a line if needed.
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/theres-a-new-bmw-m135i-coming-with-302bhp-from-four-cylinders/

Every review I've seen of the M135i is disappointing, if the Mk8 isn't too heavy, I can't see a way it isn't a much better car. A number of German and British writers have already said the Mk7 already is.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Are you sure about this? The M135i is using Haldex v5, with no mechanical lsd. From this article:
Brake-based torque vectoring is also standard and will drag the brake on the inside front wheel to tighten a line if needed.
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/theres-a-new-bmw-m135i-coming-with-302bhp-from-four-cylinders/

Every review I've seen of the M135i is disappointing, if the Mk8 isn't too heavy, I can't see a way it isn't a much better car. A number of German and British writers have already said the Mk7 already is.
Thats an early pre production article and much of the info is incorrect, including the BHP, the M135i does have a mechanical LSD, https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/12/01/2019-bmw-m135i-xdrive-review-logic-over-emotions/ a lot of the earlier reviews of the car were from fan boys trying to compare it to the M140i and weren’t completely fair in such that it’s basically a different car and wouldn’t be a rival for it in the real world, I’ve looked at what seems like every piece of content online about the M135i xDrive and not many are particularly critical, I test drove the car a few times and it is pretty damn good, on top of just how good the car is to drive, the interior is outstanding and the operating system 7 iDrive infotainment is second to none, it has the exact same tech as the flagship M8 competition Gran Coupe’, for me, choosing it over the MK8 was a no brainier.

Last edited:

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
The M135i has a torsen diff up front... Many people here have Rs with an aftermarket LSD in the front diff... so it will be like that.... VW could have easily slapped one on the MQB, at least on the RS3, but they didnt... wonder why not...

I dont think anything changes with the Mk8 R, almost guaranteed to have 316hp like the Arteon R, its not like it will HAVE to have an LSD up front with that power bump.

The Mk8 having "torque vectoring" is probably confused journalists trying to report on the new XDS++ ... when trying to read up on this kind of stuff, stay away from articles and look at technical brochures, etc, directly from the manufacturer... Half of the reviews of the current Mk7 say it has torque vectoring.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
The M135i has a torsen diff up front... Many people here have Rs with an aftermarket LSD in the front diff... so it will be like that.... VW could have easily slapped one on the MQB, at least on the RS3, but they didnt... wonder why not...

I dont think anything changes with the Mk8 R, almost guaranteed to have 316hp like the Arteon R, its not like it will HAVE to have an LSD up front with that power bump.

The Mk8 having "torque vectoring" is probably confused journalists trying to report on the new XDS++ ... when trying to read up on this kind of stuff, stay away from articles and look at technical brochures, etc, directly from the manufacturer... Half of the reviews of the current Mk7 say it has torque vectoring.
The guy (joe) who told me that the Mk8 R will have torque vectoring is a UK dealership head and has just recently been in Wolfsburg on a VW training event for the Mk8 GTI and iD3, this is where he was told about the apparent torque vectoring on the R, obviously this may be incorrect.

Last edited: