GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit a bigger capacity battery to a Mk7 Golf

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
This is the battery control module that a post above is referring to. If you have one of these, you might want to look into coding. For OBD11 pro its as simple as -

Control Units > Gateway 19 > Adaptation > Battery adaptation.

You'll want to tell the car you have an AGM battery now, as well as the new capacity and an updated serial number so the car knows theres a new battery in place.

1595972854685.png

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
From the first post of this how to guide:-

VCDS coding required:-
From the Main screen:-
Select Control Module [Select]
[19-CAN Gateway]
Advanced Functions screen:-
[Adaptions-10]
New value choice screen:-
Change the following four channels, inputting the relevant data about the new battery.
IDE03256-MAS06105-Battery adaptation-Rated battery capacity,
IDE03256-MAS06106-Battery adaptation-Battery technology,
IDE03256-MAS06107-Battery adaptation-Battery manufacturer,
IDE03256-MAS06108-Battery adaptation-Battery Serial Number,

Battery BEM codes are now redundant with the above separate channels. The most important channels are, Rated battery capacity, Battery technology, & Battery Serial Number. For the Battery Serial Number, just change one digit of the old one. This channel tells the BCM that a new battery has been installed & to relearn the new battery & forget any “learnt values” for the old battery!

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

Did you ever get an answer to this? I also don't have the start/stop feature on my early 2015 GTI. I'm assuming I wont have to do any type of coding when swapping over to a new battery. Am I wrong?

I didn't get an answer, but concluded on my own that coding is not necessary unless there is a BCM on the negative battery post. I *think* only the Auto-Start/Stop cars have a BCM. I will continue to code in the future just because it's easy enough since I have OBDEleven and VCDS. If I get the same battery next time, then I only need to change the serial number.

EmmKay11945

Ready to race!
Hello,

I didn't get an answer, but concluded on my own that coding is not necessary unless there is a BCM on the negative battery post. I *think* only the Auto-Start/Stop cars have a BCM. I will continue to code in the future just because it's easy enough since I have OBDEleven and VCDS. If I get the same battery next time, then I only need to change the serial number.
Hey have a question for you, do I need obdeleven pro to code in a new battery, or will the basic version work?

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
Hey have a question for you, do I need obdeleven pro to code in a new battery, or will the basic version work?

You do need the pro unfortunately, but it will be a useful tool as long as your have your VW!
I'm an iphone user too, so I have to use an android tablet to use my OBD11. Its quite a bother really. And on top of that, your device needs to have internet to do the coding.

So its usually me, turning my iphone into a hotspot, so I can connect my tablet to the hotspot, so I can code using the OBD11 🙄

The iphone version is pretty new and still in Beta, I haven't looked into it too much.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I'm an iphone user too, so I have to use an android tablet to use my OBD11. Its quite a bother really. And on top of that, your device needs to have internet to do the coding.

So its usually me, turning my iphone into a hotspot, so I can connect my tablet to the hotspot, so I can code using the OBD11 🙄

The iphone version is pretty new and still in Beta, I haven't looked into it too much.

Main reason I keep my old laptop & use VCDS....no need for internet/mobile connection, as there isn't any where the car is garaged anyway!

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
Main reason I keep my old laptop & use VCDS....no need for internet/mobile connection, as there isn't any where the car is garaged anyway!

Yeah OBD11 is a pain sometimes! Do we know the implications of not updating battery info?
If someone didn't have access to code it and just decided not to?

Although OBD11 PRO is cheaper than another new battery so.... :ROFLMAO:

EmmKay11945

Ready to race!
Yeah OBD11 is a pain sometimes! Do we know the implications of not updating battery info?
If someone didn't have access to code it and just decided not to?

Although OBD11 PRO is cheaper than another new battery so.... :ROFLMAO:
I mean I HAD to put in a new batt and run it without coding I didn’t have any option, it was completely dead. But my alternator is charging at around 13.5 volts and I do need to code it ASAP so it gets charging back up to high 14s

Ecapskcab

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15 Mk7 GTI
Part 1 of 1

WARNING:- If you have the “Stop/Start” feature (look for the BCM wire on the battery “-“ terminal), or have a BCM (Battery Control Module) which shows up in VCDS, then Adaption channels in the CAN Gateway 19 module need to be changed & VCDS (or similar) is required for this.

Vehicle used in this guide

UK spec, 2014yr model, Mk7 Golf Estate (GSW), GT (Highline) trim, 1.4lt TSI (140PS) CHPA petrol engine, MQ250 6speed manual gearbox, multilink rear suspension.

Vehicles that this guide is applicable to
Any VAG “MQB” platform cars (not Hybrids or Electrics).

Introduction
Why do this? Well in my case I have Stop-Start, heated seats, heated front windscreen, satnav, Dynaudio, Bi-Xenon’s/LED DRL’s, 2Zone climate, so lots of “load”!! So what do VW fit? A small 027 case size, 59Ah, 320A (DIN), 640A (EN/SAE), EFB type!

Research
After lots of phoning to battery manufacturers & motor parts suppliers, I gained the following information. They all state for my car & chassis I should have an 096 size, 70Ah, 760A (EN/SAE) AGM type! The capacities that VW use to describe the batteries in ETKA are their own “special” build ones & do not correspond to normal battery type sizes/capacities! I contacted Varta who make some of the batteries & they confirmed that standard case sizes are used but that the capacities are “special” for those same sizes. Basically VW are confusing us by making sure we end up buying a direct replacement from them when in fact a standard case with standard capacities which is available from any supplier will fit!!!

Now looking at the battery tray the clamp has three positions for three different sizes of battery. My battery had the clamp in the middle position which is an 027 case, & the biggest position is for an 096 case size. I wouldn’t bother with the smallest clamp position!!

Varta specifications:- sizes are industry norms, capacities are standard.
Battery case size 027:- 242mm long, 175mm wide, 190mm high
Black Dynamic (Standard type) = 56Ah, 480A (EN/SAE)
Blue Dynamic EFB (E.F.B. type) = 60Ah, 560A (EN/SAE)
Silver Dynamic AGM (A.G.M. type) = 60Ah, 680A (EN/SAE)

Battery case size 096:- 278mm long, 175mm wide, 190mm high
Black Dynamic (Standard type) = 70Ah, 640A (EN/SAE)
Blue Dynamic EFB (E.F.B. type) = 70Ah, 650A (EN/SAE)
Silver Dynamic AGM (A.G.M. type) = 70Ah, 760A (EN/SAE)

Now if you have the “Start-Stop” feature on your car, You must have either an EFB or an AGM battery installed, due to the cyclic nature of the Stop-Start feature, which will kill a standard battery! If your current battery says EFB on it you can fit either an EFB or AGM. However if your battery says AGM on it, you must replace with an AGM type!
So what’s the advantage of an EFB or an AGM?

E.F.B. (Enhanced Flooded Battery):- These usually have two times (x2) the cycle starts compared to a standard battery. They are still a standard battery (hybrid version), so cannot be held upside down & will leak if the case is broken. Basically the car industry wanted a cheaper version of the AGM battery to fit to Stop-Start engine technology. EFB is the result!

A.G.M. (Absorbent Glass Mat) battery:- These usually have three times (x3) the cycle starts compared to a standard battery. In these the liquids have been absorbed by a framework of glass fibre mats. There is no liquid to move around, so they can be held upside down, & are leakproof if the case is broken! These are the safest in a crash which is why they have been used in racing/rallying for years! Unfortunately they are also the most expensive!

http://www.varta-automotive.com/en-g...cts/automotive

What about Lithium-Ion batteries?:- Firstly they are VERY expensive & make AGM look cheap! Although they are used in racing, motorcycles, Porsche RS, etc., they could be used, but case size would have to be the same as the smallest battery VW make for the Golf Mk7. I wouldn't recommend due to high cost/ low benefits unless you are stripping everything out of your MK7 to go racing & are looking for the perfect set-up!!!

Misc:-
You also have to get a new bigger fabric insulation cover for the battery from the parts dept at the dealers! But which one, as VW info is special to their batteries! So after talking to Varta re sizes etc, I bought the VW cover below as the VW AGM battery 68Ah/380A (DIN) (VW part No 000 915 105CC) is in fact an 096 case size! The cover is a perfect fit!

Varta make the batteries for Bosch, & they bought the old Delco Remy Freedom battery brand! Now I can get Bosch easier than a Varta where I live so I opted for their top end S5 AGM 096 size, 70Ah, 760A. (Bosch have just re-branded their range so the old AGM was (S6) & EFB was (S5), both are now S5 but AGM & EFB, I checked this with Bosch UK).

Also I have a CTEK MXS 10, 12V battery charger which does trickle, AGM batteries, & acts as a 12V supply (this stops the ECU’s losing their settings when disconnecting the battery).
http://www.ctek.com/gb/en/chargers/MXS 10

Parts required
VAG ETKA illustration for VW Golf Mk7/Electrics/No.915-000

Parts list & approx. costs in UK £
Item No.3:- 7N0 915 429A
, Black plastic cover for + terminal clamp/cable join, £?.?? (x1)
Item No.4:- 5Q0 971 813A, Black plastic cover flap for battery “+”, £1.58 (x1)
Item No.5:- 5Q0 971 813, Black plastic cover flap for battery “-“ , £?.?? (x1)
Item No.12:- 5Q0 915 411B, Protective battery case with flap for battery 68AH/380A AGM, for vehicles with, or without stop start £23.02 (x1) (this item has been superseded by part code 5Q0 915 411H)

I only had to order Item No.4 & Item No.12, as my car already came with Item No. 3 & Item No.5.

Fitting
To remove the battery:-
Using a 13mm hex socket I removed the battery clamp bolt & the clamping plate. I then removed the black plastic flap over the “-“ (Item No.5) & the black plastic cover over the “+” cable terminal (Item No.3). Then using a deep 10mm socket I loosened (but did not remove) the clamping bolts on both the battery cable terminals. I then connected my 12V supply to the battery cable terminal + & then to the car body - “Bayonet” & switched on the 12V supply. Now I prefer to wear thick rubber gauntlets just in case! Carefully slide the battery forward to the front of the tray, then remove the – cable first & the + cable from the battery last. I also have other rubber gloves to wrap the terminal of the cables in (taking care not to dislodge the 12V supply connections).

To fit the new battery:- Hopefully you will have pre-bent/creased the folds correctly in the new fabric battery insulation cover, & have it fitted over the new bigger battery. You will have realised these batteries are heavy (20kg circa), so carefully place the battery in the front part of the tray. Now connect the + first & then the – cables to the battery & partly tighten the clamps up (enough to hold in place). Now slide the battery back into the rear right hand corner (nearest the suspension turret top). This is because there is a hold down lip in the rear & right hand side of the battery tray which helps to hold the battery in place! Now refit the battery clamping plate & the clamping plate bolt, & use a torque setting of 15Nm (11lbft). Then for the battery terminal clamp nuts a torque setting of 6Nm (4.4lbft). Now remove the 12V supply & replace the black plastic cover for the + cable terminal (Item No.3), & black plastic flap over the “-“ (Item No.5).

VCDS coding required:-
From the Main screen:-
Select Control Module [Select]
[19-CAN Gateway]
Advanced Functions screen:-
[Adaptions-10]
New value choice screen:-
Change the following four channels, inputting the relevant data about the new battery.
IDE03256-MAS06105-Battery adaptation-Rated battery capacity,
IDE03256-MAS06106-Battery adaptation-Battery technology,
IDE03256-MAS06107-Battery adaptation-Battery manufacturer,
IDE03256-MAS06108-Battery adaptation-Battery Serial Number,

Battery BEM codes are now redundant with the above separate channels. The most important channels are, Rated battery capacity, Battery technology, & Battery Serial Number. For the Battery Serial Number, just change one digit of the old one. This channel tells the BCM that a new battery has been installed & to relearn the new battery & forget any “learnt values” for the old battery!

Further considerations on fitting
Currently there is no “hard” plastic case made for the battery & the Mk6 one will not fit without major modifications & requiring the base tray! All the Golf’s that I have seen only have the black plastic flap over the – terminal (to stop you jump starting from that point due to the “Stop/Start” function). I always prefer a solid cover over the + of the battery as this is safer! So I also retro-fitted the black plastic flap over the + terminal (Item No.4).

Results
Much better starting, more “instant” even if the car has been left for a week!

Conclusions
Considering that the tray will take a much bigger battery this is yet again, another perfect example of penny pinching from the bean counters at VAG!!

View attachment 147424

View attachment 147438
Golfdave,

Your guide was great. One thing to mention is if you have an aftermarket CAI it may not fit with an oversized battery in the tray because of heat shield size. I purchased the Varta battery after your recommendation and doing a bit more research. The fit with the aftermarket CAI is, crap. So much so I'm thinking of getting a different one. The switch to AGM with a new push start button was night and day. The car starts like a dream.

I just need to source the other bits you mentioned. The covers for the terminals and the oversized bsttery cover. Any recommendations to purchase here in the UK?

Attachments

• 20200801_193855.jpg
    20200801_193855.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 322

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Golfdave,

Your guide was great. One thing to mention is if you have an aftermarket CAI it may not fit with an oversized battery in the tray because of heat shield size. I purchased the Varta battery after your recommendation and doing a bit more research. The fit with the aftermarket CAI is, crap. So much so I'm thinking of getting a different one. The switch to AGM with a new push start button was night and day. The car starts like a dream.

I just need to source the other bits you mentioned. The covers for the terminals and the oversized bsttery cover. Any recommendations to purchase here in the UK?

Aftermarket CAI not built for the bigger battery?...bad R&D on that companies part...

The local VW dealers parts dept I know very well which is where I get all my parts from..try yours?

Last edited:

Ecapskcab

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15 Mk7 GTI
Aftermarket CAI not built for the bigger battery?...bad R&D on that companies part...

I local VW dealers parts dept I know very well which is where I get all my parts from..try yours?
It is a tight fit and makes me uncomfortable with the Heat shield essentially rubbing against the battery. I've contacted Tayna batteries if they can do a swap for the smaller size. The below is what I referenced. Seems to match your description from the first post.

VARTA Silver Dynamic AGM D52 12V 60Ah 680A / EN

dmccombs

Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Is there any software that will work with an ODBII ELM327 device, to reset the battery capacity, battery technology, and serial number?

I would prefer to just buy software for the ELM327 that I have, instead of ordering ODBeleven (especially since I have an iphone, not android).

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Is there any software that will work with an ODBII ELM327 device, to reset the battery capacity, battery technology, and serial number?

I would prefer to just buy software for the ELM327 that I have, instead of ordering ODBeleven (especially since I have an iphone, not android).

No idea you would have to ask the manufacturer.....if it can read adaption channels & coding channels it will do it...if its just a fault code read then it won't...

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
Golfdave,

Literally just unhook and wrap the existing cover around the larger battery. You will have a 1" uncovered gap in the back that no one will ever see.

dmccombs

Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
No idea you would have to ask the manufacturer.....if it can read adaption channels & coding channels it will do it...if its just a fault code read then it won't...
Thanks for the great write up here. I appreciate you taking the time, as it really help me, and others out.

I didn't go to the trouble of getting a bigger battery, but I did switch from a stock battery to an AGM with more CCA. I invested in the ODBeleven so I could update the Battery fields. Your write was a HUGE help with that.