GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question on AQ250 and 09G tranny on '17 GSW S (6spd non-dsg)

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Hello All,

Looking for some help finding information on the AQ250 and the 09G transmissions. I believe my 2017 has a 09G 300 065 D from looking at Partslink24 for my VIN. I've been attempting to track down information on what the limits this transmission can handle. Would I be pushing it with a stage 1 (Thinking APR 87/91) 1.8T ECU tune? From what I can tell there isn't a too much information on the AQ250 outside the MK5/6 2.5Ls in the aftermarket TCU flash community.

Any information would be helpful. I've found a few postings on the 09G's that claim max torque is somewhere around 258 ft lbs:
09G6-Speed Automatic Transmission (AT)AISIN TF-60SNAQ250-6Fmax. 350 Nm
Stage 1 puts it around 270ish ft lbs from my research. Just curious what this transmission can do, and if I plan for more power if I need to start looking into either a DSG or 6spd manual swap.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Published information and practical information are two very different things. Idk what the most someone's put through one of those is, but 350ftlbs+ is no problem. Stage 1 isn't even coming close to over stressing it.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Been running Is20 power (well now Is38) through the 09g for 2+ years and it's never missed a beat. Including track days and multiple drag runs.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Published information and practical information are two very different things. Idk what the most someone's put through one of those is, but 350ftlbs+ is no problem. Stage 1 isn't even coming close to over stressing it.
Been running Is20 power (well now Is38) through the 09g for 2+ years and it's never missed a beat. Including track days and multiple drag runs.
Thank you both for the info.

Glad to hear your transmission has been holding up strong Sparky, gives me some piece of mind as I keep finding different torque specs for it. Did you take a big hit with MPG going IS20 or 38? I think stage 1 should be a good starting point, but Is20 upgrades seem tempting. Don't think I'd need an IS38, but we'll see once the power moding bug bites haha.

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
How often have you done trans fluid flushes? Mine is shifting a little slower than usually I think

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
How often have you done trans fluid flushes? Mine is shifting a little slower than usually I think

If you are talking about a GTI you don't flush the fluid you replace it. If you're talking about a torque convertor trans personally I would flush it every 25 K miles but I'm sure the manual quotes much higher miles.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Fluid replacement is every 80k on the 09G Non-DSG 6spd Auto according to what the dealer read as far as updates from VW.
Just had mine replaced at 40k due to dealer running a test. I'd have to check the TT number, but it wasn't covered under warranty - Luckily the extended warranty picked it up.

Last edited:

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Did my fluid+filter change @35k, not necessarily because I was feeling the transmission slowing down but because I just wanted to give it a bit of extra love with all the additional power being run through it.

And to answer the previous question, mileage while commuting isn't really impacted regardless of turbo. What does lead to a noticable drop is switching to wide sticky summer tires lol. Sure flat out the mileage isn't amazing, but I'm not exactly looking for efficiency when my foot is glued to the floor.

Jdsunrise

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf sportswagen
Did my fluid+filter change @35k, not necessarily because I was feeling the transmission slowing down but because I just wanted to give it a bit of extra love with all the additional power being run through it.

And to answer the previous question, mileage while commuting isn't really impacted regardless of turbo. What does lead to a noticable drop is switching to wide sticky summer tires lol. Sure flat out the mileage isn't amazing, but I'm not exactly looking for efficiency when my foot is glued to the floor.
I’m at 36k with only a jb4, based on your trans oil , would you recommend going to 50k or do it early at 40k, I’m going Is38 very soon

Jdsunrise

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf sportswagen
Fluid replacement is every 80k on the 09G Non-DSG 6spd Auto according to what the dealer read as far as updates from VW.
Just had mine replaced at 40k due to dealer running a test. I'd have to check the TT number, but it wasn't covered under warranty - Luckily the extended warranty picked it up.
What test did they run?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
What test did they run?
Trans fluid temp vs Coolant temp when the engine is cold. TT claims it may cause more throttle than normally required to get the car moving or something along those lines. I was having issues with rough up and down shifts, smoothed out a bit after the change and is even better now that I flashed IE stage 1.

Jdsunrise

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf sportswagen
What were the results?