GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Locked out and keyless entry

RSLICK

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7.5 Autobahn DSG
Long story short, I left my keys in a bag, in the hatch area, and closed the hatch. That was it, locked out. I thought if you left the Fob in the car, you would not be locked out. Not so. According to tow truck driver who had to break in to retrieve them, the key was out of the proximity zone. Front seat, and back seat, your are okay. Too far back, and you are in trouble. So, be careful out there.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Isn't there a sensor in the rear bumper for popping the hatch open? Or does that only detect outside?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Long story short, I left my keys in a bag, in the hatch area, and closed the hatch. That was it, locked out. I thought if you left the Fob in the car, you would not be locked out. Not so. According to tow truck driver who had to break in to retrieve them, the key was out of the proximity zone. Front seat, and back seat, your are okay. Too far back, and you are in trouble. So, be careful out there.

How did you lock it without the key fob in your possession? If you were able to touch the area on the door handle to lock it without the key fob in your hand or pocket you should have been able to unlock it that way. Or am I completely missing something?

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Legend has it that if you open the hatch while the car is locked, then put the key inside a bag and shut the hatch that it will lock the hatch. I’ve tried to do it purposely, dropping my car off after hours with no key drop and was unable to replicate. The doors stay locked but the hatch won’t latch itself.

RSLICK

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7.5 Autobahn DSG
How did you lock it without the key fob in your possession? If you were able to touch the area on the door handle to lock it without the key fob in your hand or pocket you should have been able to unlock it that way. Or am I completely missing something?
Car was locked. Approached car with bag containing Fob. Opened hatch. Put bag inside. Closed hatch. Game over.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I just attempted this on my 7.5 R. I have 2 sets of keys. One set I left in the house (well outside of range) and I placed one one in the hatch under some items to attempt to make it out of range. When I shut the hatch the car locked and the horn beeped and the lights flashed once. 20 seconds later the lights flashed 3 times. When I attempted to open the hatch the car unlocked and was able to open the hatch. I tried several different configurations and it always opened. The strange thing is when the keys are not in the car the lights dont flash 3 times. This only happens when the keys are in the car.

RSLICK

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7.5 Autobahn DSG
I just attempted this on my 7.5 R. I have 2 sets of keys. One set I left in the house (well outside of range) and I placed one one in the hatch under some items to attempt to make it out of range. When I shut the hatch the car locked and the horn beeped and the lights flashed once. 20 seconds later the lights flashed 3 times. When I attempted to open the hatch the car unlocked and was able to open the hatch. I tried several different configurations and it always opened. The strange thing is when the keys are not in the car the lights dont flash 3 times. This only happens when the keys are in the car.
When I closed hatch after putting fob inside, there was no flash, , and no horn beep. Curiously when I came back to drive away, and I discovered I couldn't get in, the normal red flashing light on the inside driver door was not on. Since you were able to get back in, I am thinking I have a bug.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
When I closed hatch after putting fob inside, there was no flash, , and no horn beep. Curiously when I came back to drive away, and I discovered I couldn't get in, the normal red flashing light on the inside driver door was not on. Since you were able to get back in, I am thinking I have a bug.

Sounds like it because the hatch shouldn't have locked. Have you done any coding that locks the key in the car?

RSLICK

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7.5 Autobahn DSG
Sounds like it because the hatch shouldn't have locked. Have you done any coding that locks the key in the car?
No, I don't code. Since the bag got rained on, and I know when I finally got in, and retrieved the fob, it was a bit wet, maybe the wet short circuited the signal.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Our Golf MK-7 has a somewhat hidden key slot on the underside of the driver's side (in North America) door handle. I think you could have inserted your other key in there to unlock the car.

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
My car behaves the same way – I've done this, too. Partly because of it, my fob always lives in the little watch pocket in my jeans or whatever I'm wearing, rather than attached to my other keys.

RSLICK

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7.5 Autobahn DSG
My car behaves the same way – I've done this, too. Partly because of it, my fob always lives in the little watch pocket in my jeans or whatever I'm wearing, rather than attached to my other keys.
Yes, this is probably the best strategy, keeping it on my person. I normally do, but took it out this one time, and got bruned. One of the other posters said I could have used my other key in the outside key slot, but unfortunately it was miles and miles away. Breaking into the car was the only remedy. Fortunately, there was no damage. It is surprising how quickly you can break in with the right tools.

projectTVMK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi A3
Out of curiosity I tried this on my 2017 GTI (I have a spare keyfob):

1. Locked car with keyfob
2. Opened the hatch with keyfob in my pocket
3. Placed keyfob inside the hatch
4. Closed hatch door
5. Tailights quickly blinked 3 times
6. Hatch door unlocks when I go to open it as if I had the keyfob in my pocket