GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Harness Bar

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
20200508_155501.jpg

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
You still might want to check with your event organizer. The following is from the PCA Potomac Region Tech Inspection form for HPDE events (emphasis mine). I don't know if it applies to other regions.
"Safety Restraints: Safety restraints and factory seat belts must be in good working condition with no visible fraying, fading, or other degradation regardless of age. All harness sets must be SFI or FIA certified, and must have at least one dated manufacturer label attached. Harnesses may be used for a period of 5 years from the month/year of manufacture for SFI sets OR until Dec. 31st of the year of expiration as indicated on FIA label. 4-point Schroth harnesses are allowed if in full compliance with strict PCA guidelines: they must be designed for that specific vehicle model, the vehicle-tag must remain attached to the belt system, and the stock seats must be in place. Harnesses must be routed and adjusted per manufacturers’ instructions or per PCA Club Racing guidelines/diagrams. Harness guide bars can only be used to guide shoulder straps, NOT secure them, unless the manufacturer provides written proof. Angle of shoulder harness cannot be more than 30 degrees above nor more than 10 degrees below the horizontal plane of the shoulders, and must follow the manufacturer installation specs. Harnesses must be installed with appropriate graded hardware (8.8 metric or Grade 5 SAE or better) and large backing washers where necessary. Clip-in style belts must have pins or safety wire through release mechanism at each eyebolt. Harnesses should be installed as short as possible to minimize stretch under loading and must remain secure on shoulders in all situations. A head and neck restraint system is required when using a harness."
The requirements regarding the angle of the shoulder harness seems like the kiss of death for the Schroth harness when installed using the rear seatbelt attachment points.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Those quickfits look perfect for autocross work. It definitely annoys me that you can't do the "pull belt all the way out to engage safety lock" move on the R for some reason, so I spend a ton of energy keeping myself in the seat.

I imagine HANS devices are not a huge concern with autocross given the speeds involved and general lack of walls/cars to smash into.

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
For autocross, I always used a G Force torso harness. Super easy, cheap, effective. Not recommended for track use.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I keep looking at the schroth but so far I lower my seat and push back a bit, tighten my belt and give it a tug to lock, then move my seat back into position. Holds me down pretty well overall, but it's a process...

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
In a quick Google search, I could find information on Weichers roll bars only. They offer a version for the Clubsport. Don't know if it would fit a non-Clubsport model. More to the point, the VW model is approved for road use only -- not motorsport.

To me, HPDE is a form of motorsport, so I would look for a product that is approved for that application. Is this road use only rollbar better than nothing? Probably. But if I can't get into the event because of non-conforming equipment, it doesn't really matter.

Always check with your event organizer beforehand to verify that your proposed safety modifications meets their standards for approval.

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
In a quick Google search, I could find information on Weichers roll bars only. They offer a version for the Clubsport. Don't know if it would fit a non-Clubsport model. More to the point, the VW model is approved for road use only -- not motorsport.

To me, HPDE is a form of motorsport, so I would look for a product that is approved for that application. Is this road use only rollbar better than nothing? Probably. But if I can't get into the event because of non-conforming equipment, it doesn't really matter.

Always check with your event organizer beforehand to verify that your proposed safety modifications meets their standards for approval.

when Cardiff or Wiecher's mention 'Clubsport' that is the version not make/model that are designed to bolt into the vehicles exsisting points and not so permanent. Now as for them saying ‘road use’ only I’m unsure on that since most guys fit them to drive the Nurburgring but Europe and USA have different regulations and I’m no expert.

They do offer Motorsport bolt in or welded half or full cages that are FIA approved below is a Cardiff which I like better than Wiechers and you can get it as half below are Cardiff Clubsport and motorsport versions.

60898154_2667764229919865_9111404296737390592_n.jpg
60889506_2667764193253202_3726241492033863680_n.jpg
60331262_1303730566459823_7411436608685080576_n.jpg
60496185_1303730593126487_5642578242205384704_n.jpg
cage.
489FC71F-669E-4CA7-970A-035EF28E87E2.jpeg
70E163C4-A7F5-4E19-94D6-1DDAF1485BA4.jpeg

Last edited:

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
Good info. Thanks!

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
If I was going all out caged, I would weld the cage as opposed bolt in. I didn't know FIA approved bolt in cages

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
I keep looking at the schroth but so far I lower my seat and push back a bit, tighten my belt and give it a tug to lock, then move my seat back into position. Holds me down pretty well overall, but it's a process...
I have been considering finding a CG-Lock. A friend that I regularly track with has one and raves about it. Essentially it lets you lock the lap belt tight across your hips. So it's like the "lock it in place and move the seat technique" but you just set the length of the lap belt and keep it there. Hard to find though as they are no longer made. Which also makes you wonder why they are no longer made lol.
https://www.windingroad.com/articles/blogs/gear-cg-lock-performance-seatbelt-add-on/

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I have been considering finding a CG-Lock. A friend that I regularly track with has one and raves about it. Essentially it lets you lock the lap belt tight across your hips. So it's like the "lock it in place and move the seat technique" but you just set the length of the lap belt and keep it there. Hard to find though as they are no longer made. Which also makes you wonder why they are no longer made lol.
https://www.windingroad.com/articles/blogs/gear-cg-lock-performance-seatbelt-add-on/
A few of the autocross folks I know use the child seat version of the cglock. They've been doing it for many years now because it's a fraction of the cost (like 5$ at target or something). Me personally, while my butt can use more planting, my upper body just moves a lot too, so my method works, despite being slow, tedious, and never ending up in the same seating position twice.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS

The CG-Lock doesn't clamp onto VW's seatbelt end, which is triangular in shape. I ordered one and ended up returning it.

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
The CG-Lock doesn't clamp onto VW's seatbelt end, which is triangular in shape. I ordered one and ended up returning it.
A few of the autocross folks I know use the child seat version of the cglock. They've been doing it for many years now because it's a fraction of the cost (like 5$ at target or something). Me personally, while my butt can use more planting, my upper body just moves a lot too, so my method works, despite being slow, tedious, and never ending up in the same seating position twice.

Awesome...great to know!