GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Harness Bar

SpaCeDust

Passed Driver's Ed
So thinking of going one step closer to full send race car with bucket seats and harness. With that said, I've been researching ways to install the harnesses, and only have found the tyrolsport harness bar for our cars... or a full on roll cage. My question is, has anyone succesfully installed any other harness bar. The tyrolsport one is $700, which is a bit out of my price range considering that you have to factor in the price of seats and harness themselves. Hope you guys can enlighten me.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Try the schroth quick fit pro. I have that in my car just with the stock seats and its amazing. I got the passenger one too so when I drive at the limits with the misses in the car, she doesn't mind at all as she's strapped in.

SpaCeDust

Passed Driver's Ed
Try the schroth quick fit pro. I have that in my car just with the stock seats and its amazing. I got the passenger one too so when I drive at the limits with the misses in the car, she doesn't mind at all as she's strapped in.
I looked at it, but the problem is its anchored more than 20 degrees from my shoulders, which tends to be a no no when using a HANS. The bigger the degrees the more likely you are to suffer a collarbone injury since it would be pulling downwards in case of a crash, not pulling backwards. I wont be using the harness on the road much, just at the track, hence the whole no no.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
FWIW, Porsche Club of American has the following rules for DE participation:
The participant should BE AWARE that the addition of such a seat, harness and HANS device system results in the occupant being fastened upright in the vehicle. Therefore, in order to have a COMPLETE SYSTEM, a properly padded roll bar or roll cage device are strongly encouraged and highly recommended. The use of such a seat, harness and HANS device system without roll protection may result in an unsafe environment and is not a COMPLETE SYSTEM.

The "seat" should be either an “OEM or aftermarket racing type seat specifically designed to accommodate a harness system most typically a non-reclining seat with holes incorporated in the manufacturing process to allow proper use of a harness system."

I seem to recall reading somewhere that using a harness may compromise the effectiveness of the airbag in protecting the head and neck in the event of frontal impact. An airbag going off in your face is no fun (ask me how I know), but like it or not, it does provide protection, and compromising its effectiveness is something that should not be undertaken lightly.

SpaCeDust

Passed Driver's Ed
FWIW, Porsche Club of American has the following rules for DE participation:
The participant should BE AWARE that the addition of such a seat, harness and HANS device system results in the occupant being fastened upright in the vehicle. Therefore, in order to have a COMPLETE SYSTEM, a properly padded roll bar or roll cage device are strongly encouraged and highly recommended. The use of such a seat, harness and HANS device system without roll protection may result in an unsafe environment and is not a COMPLETE SYSTEM.

The "seat" should be either an “OEM or aftermarket racing type seat specifically designed to accommodate a harness system most typically a non-reclining seat with holes incorporated in the manufacturing process to allow proper use of a harness system."

I seem to recall reading somewhere that using a harness may compromise the effectiveness of the airbag in protecting the head and neck in the event of frontal impact. An airbag going off in your face is no fun (ask me how I know), but like it or not, it does provide protection, and compromising its effectiveness is something that should not be undertaken lightly.
Agree w you on the fact that what I propose wouldn't be a complete system. But as I'm already going to various track days, and don't see a reason in the near future to stop going, I'm trying to maximize the safety of the car w/o going into the realm of paying $4k+ for a complete system. Reason being that I'm still in school (medicine) which doesnt allow me that much leeway in terms of DIY installation, nor budgeting wise. At this point I think the most sensible way to go about it is to get a bucket seat, leave the OEM 3 point belt for use, and buy the Simpson Hybrid S which is FIA rated to be used w a 3point belt.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Agree w you on the fact that what I propose wouldn't be a complete system. But as I'm already going to various track days, and don't see a reason in the near future to stop going, I'm trying to maximize the safety of the car w/o going into the realm of paying $4k+ for a complete system. Reason being that I'm still in school (medicine) which doesnt allow me that much leeway in terms of DIY installation, nor budgeting wise. At this point I think the most sensible way to go about it is to get a bucket seat, leave the OEM 3 point belt for use, and buy the Simpson Hybrid S which is FIA rated to be used w a 3point belt.

I will agree that is likely your safest option. For one thing, the factory 3 points integrate with the airbag system (as do Quickfits), and other harnesses don't. I use Quickfit pros when i track my daily driven car (along with a Schroth FHR), but the goal for the harnesses versus the OEM belts is to allow me to spend more energy controlling the car and less energy bracing myself. They otherwise maintain a factory level of safety.

I'm in the all or nothing camp when it comes to safety systems. Whatever changes you make should work in harmony with the factory systems. If they don't (harnesses that don't integrate with airbags, for example) then the factory systems should be removed and replaced with a race-oriented system of a roll cage, fixed back seats, harnesses, netting, etc.

SpaCeDust

Passed Driver's Ed
I will agree that is likely your safest option. For one thing, the factory 3 points integrate with the airbag system (as do Quickfits), and other harnesses don't. I use Quickfit pros when i track my daily driven car (along with a Schroth FHR), but the goal for the harnesses versus the OEM belts is to allow me to spend more energy controlling the car and less energy bracing myself. They otherwise maintain a factory level of safety.
Arent you a little bit worried of collarbone injury with the Quickfit pros + FHR since its more than the 20° recommended from shoulder to attach point? Obviously it helps in controlling the car, but I cant seem to overlook this risk. I was super tempted to get the Quickfit Pro's tho

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Arent you a little bit worried of collarbone injury with the Quickfit pros + FHR since its more than the 20° recommended from shoulder to attach point? Obviously it helps in controlling the car, but I cant seem to overlook this risk. I was super tempted to get the Quickfit Pro's tho
The quick fit pro's are designed to be used with OEM seats that have crush points to account for the steep angles. If you used a quickfit with a fixed racing seat then the risk you're describing becomes a lot more to worry about.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS

If I crash that badly (which has yet to happen, thank goodness) there will be a lot of things with the potential to break. I believe Schroth had to get DOT approval before selling these harnesses, and that plus the litigious nature of our society gives me confidence that they are likely to function as intended.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
I will agree that is likely your safest option. For one thing, the factory 3 points integrate with the airbag system (as do Quickfits), and other harnesses don't. I use Quickfit pros when i track my daily driven car (along with a Schroth FHR), but the goal for the harnesses versus the OEM belts is to allow me to spend more energy controlling the car and less energy bracing myself. They otherwise maintain a factory level of safety

Which FHR are you using?

SpaCeDust

Passed Driver's Ed
The quick fit pro's are designed to be used with OEM seats that have crush points to account for the steep angles. If you used a quickfit with a fixed racing seat then the risk you're describing becomes a lot more to worry about.
Just called Schroth to officially ask about the risk. They were super helpfull and answered everything, and you were right on the money, OEM seats are rated for a downward load which will keep you safe.

Brady was the guy that helped me out, he did say that there is a fitment issue with the rear bolt on section (the nut being bigger than the hole at the end of harness, pun intended :LOL:) on our cars, he suggested I asked what you guys have done to make it fit. I called a machine shop where I'm at and they said its an easy fix to bore it out and install it.

Now I'm back on the Quickfit Pro train, just wanna hear what you guys have done for the fitment issue

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Just called Schroth to officially ask about the risk. They were super helpfull and answered everything, and you were right on the money, OEM seats are rated for a downward load which will keep you safe.

Brady was the guy that helped me out, he did say that there is a fitment issue with the rear bolt on section (the nut being bigger than the hole at the end of harness, pun intended :LOL:) on our cars, he suggested I asked what you guys have done to make it fit. I called a machine shop where I'm at and they said its an easy fix to bore it out and install it.

Now I'm back on the Quickfit Pro train, just wanna hear what you guys have done for the fitment issue

The rear bolt was fine on my car. The front bolt has a shoulder for the end of the seatbelt that is 14mm in diameter and the hole in the Schroth tail is 12mm. I ordered a second pair of rear seatbelt bolts and used a nutsert to make the carrier for the OE belt.

Last edited:

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
I didn't have that fitment issue when I installed mine so I'm not sure how I can help you report back to them. I also have an A3 so maybe thats the difference? The install on these is literally 20 mins

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
20200508_155510.jpg