GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sunglasses for Driving

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Whatever is BOGO at the local pharmacy/Walmart. Gotta keep my baller status up :cool:

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2014 GTI
Whatever is BOGO at the local pharmacy/Walmart. Gotta keep my baller status up :cool:
I used to wear cheap gas station sunglasses too. One summer I was having some strange vision issues that sent me to all kinds of doctors. After getting the issues resolved I decided to treat myself to a nice pair of shades, I decided I wasn't going to set a budget and just buy the pair that I liked the most. That pair ended up being the Steve McQueen's by Persol. The optics were so much better than anything I'd worn before, and since then I wear Persols. I keep a "cheap" pair of Spy's for when I'm doing something that I can't risk damaging the Persols.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I dropped my glasses face down earlier this year and just as I was thinking of having another eye exam and replacing those glasses covid came and shut everything down. They're just zenni's, but other than how easily the tint scratches off they've been pretty good glasses.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Anything not polarized. Hate them for everything but cycling, and even then still curse them when I can't read my computer.

Wearing Raens now, but will likely grab a pair of Randolphs soon.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Anything not polarized. Hate them for everything but cycling, and even then still curse them when I can't read my computer.

Wearing Raens now, but will likely grab a pair of Randolphs soon.

What kind of bike computer do you have that doesn't have a screen that can be read with polarized glasses??

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
What kind of bike computer do you have that doesn't have a screen that can be read with polarized glasses??
Garmin 530. Seems to be a problem with Wahoos and any other too. I just rarely use my polarized lenses because of it. I've noticed that they also make the entire gauge cluster of our Audi disappear too. Stupid things. Never again.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Garmin 530. Seems to be a problem with Wahoos and any other too. I just rarely use my polarized lenses because of it. I've noticed that they also make the entire gauge cluster of our Audi disappear too. Stupid things. Never again.

No problem on my GFs 510, or my 810.

EXEA189

Ready to race!
I got a pair of Serengeti online from a pilot’s supply website. They are perfect for driving because they’re non-polarized and photochromic. I also like them because they’re not too dark. I also keep a pair of Maui Jim’s for those severe clear days we get in Colorado. They are polarized and I do get “rainbows.”

AM407

Autocross Champion
Someone mentioned Persols in one of the old posts. They aren't cheap, but they are probably the best sunglasses you can buy (arguable, depending on the activities you intend to wear them for, but for driving and not playing sports they definitely get my vote). If you can swing a pair with their polarized lenses you won't want to wear anything else ever again. They are more of a "stylish" sunglass than a "sporty" sunglass, so they aren't necessarily light weight, but the crystal lenses have probably the best optics you can get.

I have a pair of Persols that I like. I also have a pair of Ray-Bans that are pretty much the same. Aren’t they owned by the same giant conglomerate now? Both have plastic lenses, although maybe some models do still have actual glass.

I also have an older pair of Smith sunglasses that do have actual glass lenses. Those are the only ones that make me go Wow! every time I put them on.

I’ve tried Maui Jims a few times in the store and liked them, but not enough to drop the extra coin I guess.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2014 GTI
I have a pair of Persols that I like. I also have a pair of Ray-Bans that are pretty much the same. Aren’t they owned by the same giant conglomerate now? Both have plastic lenses, although maybe some models do still have actual glass.

I also have an older pair of Smith sunglasses that do have actual glass lenses. Those are the only ones that make me go Wow! every time I put them on.

I’ve tried Maui Jims a few times in the store and liked them, but not enough to drop the extra coin I guess.
Most every brand is owned by Luxottica these days, but Persol still makes them themselves in Italy, and the lenses are still crystal. I know they have a light weight lens, but it's still glass, not plastic.

AM407

Autocross Champion
Most every brand is owned by Luxottica these days, but Persol still makes them themselves in Italy, and the lenses are still crystal. I know they have a light weight lens, but it's still glass, not plastic.

Huh, interesting. Mine are at least ten years old. Maybe they did sell plastic lenses for a while then went back to glass only? Or maybe I do have glass and never realized?

I don’t wear them much anymore, as I have other prescription sunglasses now. I only wear the Persols (and others) with contacts, which is not very often.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT

I've been wanting to try a pair of Smith Chroma Pop Polarized. I hear those are amazing.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2014 GTI
Huh, interesting. Mine are at least ten years old. Maybe they did sell plastic lenses for a while then went back to glass only? Or maybe I do have glass and never realized?

I don’t wear them much anymore, as I have other prescription sunglasses now. I only wear the Persols (and others) with contacts, which is not very often.
It's certainly possible, I don't know for sure. Considering their reputation though, I would imagine that they are glass and you didn't realize it. 🤷‍♂️