GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Goodyear Exhilarates. Yay or Nay?

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
No. The AS3+ I have been running at that pressure are the stock size 225 40R 18, they have all worn evenly and been rotated per Michelin's requirement. The tire pressure is VW's suggested value for the optional 'summer tire' 92Y load rating tires per the manual.

Hmm, I run mine at 35 but when I had my last service done at the dealership they inflated them to 37 and they felt hard as a rock. If I go below 35 the handling feels off. Look here.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/michelin-pilot-sport-a-s-3-tire-pressure.372173/

Last edited:

sloopercat

Go Kart Newbie
I found the AS3+ to be way too loud. I thought they would be the perfect compromise tire. They sounded like old bias ply snow tires on the GTI. On my MX5 the noise was not present and I really liked them. I swapped the AS3s out during during the satisfaction warranty period, good riddance.

Litterbug

Car(s)
Mk7 Gti
Hmm, I run mine at 35 but when I had my last service done at the dealership they inflated them to 37 and they felt hard as a rock. If I go below 35 the handling feels off. Look here.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/michelin-pilot-sport-a-s-3-tire-pressure.372173/

I'm not saying you must run your tires at 34psi if you have 92Y's. Just giving everyone a heads up that the info in the manual differs from the door card's 37psi recommended pressure. Depending on the usage, load, temp, and other variables it isn't uncommon to change pressure from the recommended value. Every time I've had my car serviced at a dealer they set them at 37psi as well. I'm sure the tech is looking at the door card and is unaware of the suggested pressure in the manual.

As you rightly point out the 92Y load (Summer & UHP All Seasons) don't work well at the same pressures as the P7's

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
No. The AS3+ I have been running at that pressure are the stock size 225 40R 18, they have all worn evenly and been rotated per Michelin's requirement. The tire pressure is VW's suggested value for the optional 'summer tire' 92Y load rating tires per the manual.
Interesting, my manual says it should be 39 psi for 92y. Also says that on the door but I have a 2019 manufactured in 6/2019. Maybe its been altered a bit from the older years, not sure. I will say that I have kept mine at 39 for daily driving and they are somewhat hard. I drop them down a 1 to 2 PSI when hitting some of the ‘backroads’ I have access too here lol. The roads around here are less than ideal for even daily driving lol. I also have a bad feeling about this upcoming winter for some reason. If its too bad I’ll just throw some chains on her and call it a day lol

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I use the tire pressure that's on the door sticker and then adjust based on treadwear. Different brands of tires wear the tread different. I had one set of tires that wore the middle tread when the pressure was set to OEM and had to run a lower pressure in that set to get even treadwear.

Litterbug

Car(s)
Mk7 Gti
Interesting, my manual says it should be 39 psi for 92y. Also says that on the door but I have a 2019 manufactured in 6/2019. Maybe its been altered a bit from the older years, not sure. I will say that I have kept mine at 39 for daily driving and they are somewhat hard. I drop them down a 1 to 2 PSI when hitting some of the ‘backroads’ I have access too here lol. The roads around here are less than ideal for even daily driving lol. I also have a bad feeling about this upcoming winter for some reason. If its too bad I’ll just throw some chains on her and call it a day lol

That is interesting. I wonder what has specifically changed between the Mk7 and 7.5 that warrants the increase in suggested pressure. It makes sense that they put the recommended pressure for both the standard and optional tires on the door card. If I run 37 psi in my AS3+'s they're awful.

Litterbug

Car(s)
Mk7 Gti
I use the tire pressure that's on the door sticker and then adjust based on treadwear. Different brands of tires wear the tread different. I had one set of tires that wore the middle tread when the pressure was set to OEM and had to run a lower pressure in that set to get even treadwear.

This is why I mentioned the fact that on early MK7's at least the door card pressure recommendation did not include the optional summer tires. Usually, the door card pressure is a safe bet.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Also remember they are ultra high performance all seasons, I believe the OP wanted something he could use year round. I know from experience in Wisc. the AS3+ are not safe for winter driving. The only reason I made it through a winter with them was because I have a 3 mile drive to work and avoided ice/snow whenever possible.

Ultra high performance all season tires are good for year round driving in rain, snow or sun (literally what they're made for). The next best class of tire to use in snow is a winter tire. The AS3+ was (discontinued) the top performing UHPAS tire overall and third in snow performance (according to Tirerack). I'm confused how they performed so poorly for you.

My DWS06 are great in rain, snow and sun but I'm seriously considering the new Michelin AS4 when I go to change my tires in 5,000 miles. I got to drive a 2020 Corvette Stingray and was SO SURPRISED when I saw that it was using the new Michelin AS4 tire. Those tires felt great on that car. Wouldn't have believed that that tire was on that car if I didn't look myself after the drive.

Litterbug

Car(s)
Mk7 Gti
New Wheels and tires showed up today. Spent the evening ceramic coating the wheels. I expect to install them tomorrow. If all goes well I should have first-hand experience with the Exhilarates within a day or so.

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
New Wheels and tires showed up today. Spent the evening ceramic coating the wheels. I expect to install them tomorrow. If all goes well I should have first-hand experience with the Exhilarates within a day or so.
Nice! Keep us posted. What ceramic coating did you use? I am going to coat mine as well, I just haven't purchased the coating yet lol

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Ultra high performance all season tires are good for year round driving in rain, snow or sun (literally what they're made for). The next best class of tire to use in snow is a winter tire. The AS3+ was (discontinued) the top performing UHPAS tire overall and third in snow performance (according to Tirerack). I'm confused how they performed so poorly for you.

That is not correct, there are a few different categories of tires better for driving on snow/ice before you get to winter tires. Compare these charts. As you will see in slippery conditions regular all-season tires far surpass the AS3+ and other UHP tires in every test. They also perform fairly well in the lap times Tire Rack records.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplayWinter.jsp?ttid=244

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplayWinter.jsp?ttid=241

Litterbug

Car(s)
Mk7 Gti
Nice! Keep us posted. What ceramic coating did you use? I am going to coat mine as well, I just haven't purchased the coating yet lol

Gyeon Prep, Q2 Mohs, Can Coat, and Cure. In that order.

Installed the Wheels and tires today. They ride a bit smoother than the Michelins and are much quieter over sharp edge bumps. It is way too soon to pass judgment on the tires, I only had time for a short drive and the release agent is still noticeable.

Last edited:

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
Gyeon Prep, Q2 Mohs, Can Coat, and Cure. In that order.

Installed the Wheels and tires today. They ride a bit smoother than the Michelins and are much quieter over sharp edge bumps. It way too soon to pass judgment on the tires, I only had time for a short drive and the release agent is noticeable.
Good deal. I have used Gyeon before in the past on my leather. Seems to do a great job so far. I dropped my wheels off today at Goodyear, so I should be getting them tomorrow after work hopefully. Pretty excited lol. I just hope this place does a good job balancing them

Litterbug

Car(s)
Mk7 Gti

350 miles on the new Goodyears. So far I am impressed. Overall performance feels on par with the previous Michelin PS AS/3+ but with a bit less noise and harshness. Exactly what I wanted from the new tires.

IMG_7334.jpg

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
350 miles on the new Goodyears. So far I am impressed. Overall performance feels on par with the previous Michelin PS AS/3+ but with a bit less noise and harshness. Exactly what I wanted from the new tires.

View attachment 182616
They look great! That is good to hear how they are doing so far. I will be coating mine this weekend and then I shall put them on finally. They have just been sitting in the garage looking pretty all this time lol. I did notice they didn’t use a weight on one of the wheels. I have read that is a little more common than people think. First time I have ever seen it, though. I have a pretty good warranty through Goodyear so I should be good either way it goes I’d say.