GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

upgrade questions from new owner

jbeckr

Car(s)
2019 Golf SE manual
Hi

I just bought new 2019 Golf SE manual with driver assistance package. Really enjoy driving the car and am surprised at the acceleration from 1.4T once you get the engine at higher revs. Thinking of some upgrades and requesting any input:

1. Headlights - I definitely want to upgrade these. Have researched the Helix and Ed's products, and could buy either, but I do not want to do the install myself. Any thoughts on where to find a quality installer?
2. Stereo - if I want to sepnd $500 or so to upgrade here, what would be the best approach?
3. Advisability of APR stage 1 tune?
4. Best tire pressures for rid/handling optimization? I have 17" Pirelli's

Any help appreciated.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
If you have the 19 SE it should have the dynamic LED headlights. The aftermarket ones are intended for those with the base trim which still has crappy halogens. The stock tires suck so you could use the money you save there to buy something like the DWS06.

jbeckr

Car(s)
2019 Golf SE manual
No it has halogens. I think for 2019 LED's were not available on hatchback. Anyway, I have seen videos of installing aftermarket headlights which include removing front bumper. I don't want to do that myself. that's why i was asking.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
No it has halogens. I think for 2019 LED's were not available on hatchback. Anyway, I have seen videos of installing aftermarket headlights which include removing front bumper. I don't want to do that myself. that's why i was asking.

Yeah sorry, I just assumed you had a GTI. I forgot this forum is shared between the models. Aftermarket headlights are definitely worth it then. HID/LEDs make the front end look so much better. I think it is ridiculous the base GTI still comes with halogens.

jbeckr

Car(s)
2019 Golf SE manual
I do too. that's why I want to change. I wrote to an online retailer of light kits and he replied that a body shop could do the job in less than 2 hours. I am going to talk to a few local shops. I am also considering a stage 1 APR tune for the 1.4T, but so far I am impressed with the torque of that engine once the revs are up. It is a manual transmission.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Why do you want to replace the stereo? Do you mean the speakers? There are settings and other features you lose by replacing the stereo (the 'screen')

As for tire pressures open the driver door and look for the sticker on the pillar that shows recommended tire pressures. Mine says 37 but our cars don't share the same suspension

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Tire pressure 36-37 should be on door.

IF YOU TUNE THE CAR YOU WILL NEED A NEW CLUTCH (eventually) say 1-2 years maybe. Thats caps because you should know. So start saving for a bigger and better clutch. APR is good been around for long time. Also it voids and engine warranty if your engine takes a poop. All other warranty work should be fine.

Lights if you have halogen then best is Ed's replica kits

Google performance shop near you. Its not a hard just at all and you could say yourself a few hundred

jbeckr

Car(s)
2019 Golf SE manual
Why do you want to replace the stereo? Do you mean the speakers? There are settings and other features you lose by replacing the stereo (the 'screen')

As for tire pressures open the driver door and look for the sticker on the pillar that shows recommended tire pressures. Mine says 37 but our cars don't share the same suspension
yes probably just the speakers. I found another thread on here with some good recommendations

jbeckr

Car(s)
2019 Golf SE manual
Tire pressure 36-37 should be on door.

IF YOU TUNE THE CAR YOU WILL NEED A NEW CLUTCH (eventually) say 1-2 years maybe. Thats caps because you should know. So start saving for a bigger and better clutch. APR is good been around for long time. Also it voids and engine warranty if your engine takes a poop. All other warranty work should be fine.

Lights if you have halogen then best is Ed's replica kits

Google performance shop near you. Its not a hard just at all and you could say yourself a few hundred
Thanks for reply. I have been in touch with BMP tuning who carries Ed's. I am starting to contact a few shops today for installation. Youtube videos show removing front bumper to replace headlights and I'm not wanting to do that myself.
Car came from dealer at 28 psi in tires. Raised yesterday to 35.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Thanks for reply. I have been in touch with BMP tuning who carries Ed's. I am starting to contact a few shops today for installation. Youtube videos show removing front bumper to replace headlights and I'm not wanting to do that myself.
Car came from dealer at 28 psi in tires. Raised yesterday to 35.
yeah i've taken the front bumper off, its honestly not hard. remove under belly screws, and screws in fender. if spending the money for a shop to install is your way then thats fine