GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
The OEM bore size is 57.1mm. Agreed on the proper offset. Don't mess with spacers if you can avoid it. Also, get a high quality hub ring that fully seats in the bore, or you'll spend all the money you saved on non-OEM bore wheels on chasing vibration problems. I have Neuspeeds with OEM bores and they fit perfectly.
100% agree on the Neuspeed wheels. I don't want to sound like a fan boy for them, but I love mine. They're not super flush, but the offset is just right in my opinion.
IMG_20200731_102911.jpg

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
After I learned that this morning I started looking around. Outside the shift knob, all looks the same as it does on the VW site. Everything under the hood looks OE. As for tune, it does not "feel" like it to me, but how would I check? Thanks!
I'm wondering if you could see the boost gauge to tell if it's tuned or not, I know the OEM one doesn't account for atmosphere so it would probably show 50+ psi during WOT

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Anyone have a Unitronic tune and tweak it from time to time with the data cable?

I remember asking in the EQT thread if you should have a hot weather and cold weather tune, and it was confirmed. So I was curious if anyone had a Uni tune, and adjusted it themselves based on conditions. It seems JB4 users like to tweak stuff, but I haven't seen any Unitronic users talking about it.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Anyone have a Unitronic tune and tweak it from time to time with the data cable?

I remember asking in the EQT thread if you should have a hot weather and cold weather tune, and it was confirmed. So I was curious if anyone had a Uni tune, and adjusted it themselves based on conditions. It seems JB4 users like to tweak stuff, but I haven't seen any Unitronic users talking about it.
I don't believe you can tweak Unitronic tunes with the uniconnect cable, it only allows you to switch between other Unitronic OTS tunes.

You can however, stack your tune with a JB4, there's a huge thread on it in the tuning forum.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm wondering if you could see the boost gauge to tell if it's tuned or not, I know the OEM one doesn't account for atmosphere so it would probably show 50+ psi during WOT

That would mean he is running 36 + boost. Is he really running that much boost?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
The psi actually hits a cap. I think it's 34.9, something like that. It just won't give you a number higher than that. You wouldn't be able to hit that cap with a stock tune though.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid

Do you have the link to that discussion? I am curious because will eventually be going EQT.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
That would mean he is running 36 + boost. Is he really running that much boost?
Lol ya I wrote that earlier in the morning, not sure what I was thinking exactly. I tried it earlier tho and it capped out at (i wanna say) 36.2, cobb showed 26psi

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti
Had the low oil come on yesterday and of course was in the middle of nowhere, found a small gas station after driving for what seemed like forever and added a quart of non VW approved oil... Will this be ok? Due for an oil change soon as it is.

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Had the low oil come on yesterday and of course was in the middle of nowhere, found a small gas station after driving for what seemed like forever and added a quart of non VW approved oil... Will this be ok? Due for an oil change soon as it is.
You'll be fine. I remember even reading in the owners manual that it isn't ideal, but not a huge issue. Just get your oil changed soon and use the correct spec oil.

nimonery

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
So I installed my new shift knob yesterday and when I had the boot off I noticed this piece was completely ripped apart. Is this going to cause any issues down the road? Car only has 4500 miles on it... Also worried if I try to have the dealership fix it they will blame me for ripping it but it was like that when I took the boot off.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
So I installed my new shift knob yesterday and when I had the boot off I noticed this piece was completely ripped apart. Is this going to cause any issues down the road? Car only has 4500 miles on it... Also worried if I try to have the dealership fix it they will blame me for ripping it but it was like that when I took the boot off.

that foam is extremely brittle. it's normal, doesn't cause any issue.