GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 1.8T Info/Discussion

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
Not putting turbo in? Why trailer?

I've been running the V2 since may(?) on stock fueling with eurodyne.
I sent it to Dan to be converted to a V1, and I'll be switching to UM since they're the only company interested in offering MPI on the 1.8t.

Will trailer it because there's no way I'm driving an hour and a half on the stock tune with a hybrid IS38 and PR450 lpfp installed. (could I even?)
And I don't want to mess with tweaking the eurydone for the smaller turbo and lpfp just so I can drive it once to UM and flash it back to stock in their parking lot so they can dyno tune it.

I also generally like being prepared for stuff and if anything happens to the car on the dyno that way I can just throw it back on the trailer and bring it home.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Reflect tuning does MPI and flex for the 1.8

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
Reflect tuning does MPI and flex for the 1.8

Thanks. Filled out their contact form.

I'm assuming the "concerns" that moose expressed about their tuning have been worked out since they were posted a couple of years ago?

The website for Reflect is also worse than UMs. Nice to know they'll tune vw/Audi and Sea-Doo.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Thanks. Filled out their contact form.

I'm assuming the "concerns" that moose expressed about their tuning have been worked out since they were posted a couple of years ago?

The website for Reflect is also worse than UMs. Nice to know they'll tune vw/Audi and Sea-Doo.
Ian has been tuning for years and has been able to do things other tuners can’t. He’s pretty well known as well.

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
Ian has been tuning for years and has been able to do things other tuners can’t. He’s pretty well known as well.

He said he can do MPI (and flex) for the 1.8t but:
"this file would need to be installed locally at our facility. "

Back to UM.

rmans1967

Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Does anyone have any input on what fueling upgrades are needed for the is38 to run properly on the 1.8t? I want to see about 340-360hp and probably around 330-350ftlbs is it just injectors and a hpfp that need an upgrade or will i need to throw a lpfp in as well. more over could I use oem options out of an R/GTI or would I have to go aftermarket?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Does anyone have any input on what fueling upgrades are needed for the is38 to run properly on the 1.8t? I want to see about 340-360hp and probably around 330-350ftlbs is it just injectors and a hpfp that need an upgrade or will i need to throw a lpfp in as well. more over could I use oem options out of an R/GTI or would I have to go aftermarket?
None are needed, the IS38 with OTS tune runs great on the stock fueling. With that said, it's not pushed on stock fuelling (b/c you are likely getting near it's limits) and if you want more power than the OTS tunes offer, you'll need to upgrade to MPI/LPFP or possibly just a HPFP. OTS tunes are producing just north of 350 hp at the crank - mine with Unitronic software has pushed more using some ethanol. If you want more power/fuelling upgrades, you'll need custom tuning provided by United, Reflect, or possibly EQT using Ecutek if your ECU's box code is compatible.

Last edited:

rmans1967

Car(s)
2018 Golf R
None are needed, the IS38 with OTS tune runs great on the stock fueling. With that said, it's not pushed on stock fuelling (b/c you are likely getting near it's limits) and if you want more power than the OTS tunes offer, you'll need to upgrade to MPI/LPFP or possibly just a HPFP. OTS tunes are producing just north of 350 hp at the crank - mine with Unitronic software has pushed more using some ethanol. If you want more power/fuelling upgrades, you'll need custom tuning provided by United, Reflect, or possibly EQT using Ecutek if your ECU's box code is compatible.
Thank you! This is for my girlfriends tsi and she has already decided on a custom eqt tune with ecutek as she loves the community and service ive gotten via eqt. I just wasn't sure how capable the tsi component's were or if we would need more to hit the numbers that tuners have claimed. This is definitely good to know and the fast feedback is highly appreciated. 350 at the crank will be plenty for her though and not having to re vamp fueling will save her a lot of cash for the build. Do you have an instagram or anything I could check your car out on?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Thank you! This is for my girlfriends tsi and she has already decided on a custom eqt tune with ecutek as she loves the community and service ive gotten via eqt. I just wasn't sure how capable the tsi component's were or if we would need more to hit the numbers that tuners have claimed. This is definitely good to know and the fast feedback is highly appreciated. 350 at the crank will be plenty for her though and not having to re vamp fueling will save her a lot of cash for the build. Do you have an instagram or anything I could check your car out on?
Here's my build thread, IG is @karstgeo72. Not many have done EQT on these so curious how it will be. I've hit some solid numbers with Unitronic; my data are in my sig/that thread. So many folks running OTS IS38 tunes from Unitronic and APR.

Do it all Sportwagen - street/hoon/track/drag | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

rmans1967

Car(s)
2018 Golf R