GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Goodyear Exhilarates. Yay or Nay?

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
I drive a MK6. I have owned a few sets of the Michelin AS3+ and really enjoyed them. The last time, I tried a set of the Exhilarates. I can’t wait for them to wear out. They aren’t bad. They just don’t feel as crisp as the Michelin’s. I find it harder to not spin tires on takeoff as well.
Hmmm, thanks for the input. Did you get a chance to try them out in a little snow or maybe some rain? I can get the Exhilarates for around 660 so I’m thinking that’s a good price for a HP A/S. I almost went with the AS3+ and the DWS 06 but the Exhilarates are cheaper for me to get mounted locally. At least for now 😂. I have heard good things about the new AS4S, too.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn
We didn’t really get much snow this year. I’ve had them on since last fall, so they’ve seen plenty of rain. I would say they’ve done decent compared to the Michelins on both accounts.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn
Since I was concerned after someone mentioned them discontinuing the AS3+, I was looking at Tirerack. They already have the AS4, it looks like an improvement over the AS3+ and it’s cheaper! 😱 I can’t wait to get a set!

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
Since I was concerned after someone mentioned them discontinuing the AS3+, I was looking at Tirerack. They already have the AS4, it looks like an improvement over the AS3+ and it’s cheaper! 😱 I can’t wait to get a set!
I just pulled the trigger on the Exhilarates today. Well, I had the local Goodyear put an order in for me. Should be here Monday. I’m pretty excited to have nice tires as I’m not used to it lol. I’ve went pretty cheap in the past with some of my tire choices on a couple of my older cars.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I drive a MK6. I have owned a few sets of the Michelin AS3+ and really enjoyed them. The last time, I tried a set of the Exhilarates. I can’t wait for them to wear out. They aren’t bad. They just don’t feel as crisp as the Michelin’s. I find it harder to not spin tires on takeoff as well.

You are right about the AS3+ feeling crisp. There are just too few roads around here in good enough shape to enjoy them. The grip is pretty amazing although I'm not tuned or anything.

I just pulled the trigger on the Exhilarates today. Well, I had the local Goodyear put an order in for me. Should be here Monday. I’m pretty excited to have nice tires as I’m not used to it lol. I’ve went pretty cheap in the past with some of my tire choices on a couple of my older cars.

Cool can't wait to hear some feedback vs the stock tires.

Nissanskylinen1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 R w/DCC & Nav

I have the AS3 and the AS3+ on my 2010 Mustang GT (AS3+ on rear, AS3 on front). They are fantastic all season tires. The AS3+ is the AS3 but with a little more winter performance (I still swap out for winters). I wouldn't say that they are up to par with full summer tires (Indy 500, FK510s, Comp-2s) in terms of grip, but they wear much less and have around 80% of the grip those tires have. They are great in the rain, but most importantly are very comfortable and quiet tires. Most tires give up their noise suppression after a few thousand KMs, but I've owned the AS3s for about 3 years now and they feel and sound just like they did brand new.

I am not sure about AS4s as I was just at a tire shop last week and they said AS3+s are relatively new to market and they are the latest in that family. If you're looking for all seasons, go with the AS3+s.

I'm looking at this Tire Rack testing here, and I think you could conclude that shelling out the extra coin for AS3+s over the Exhilerates is worth it:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=241

Litterbug

Car(s)
Mk7 Gti
Will do! I may have them ordered by the end of this week if everything else goes well lol

I just picked up a set of Exhilarates in a 245/35 18 on a set of BBS SR's 8" wide wheels. I have yet to install them. I have run three sets of the Michelin PS AS 3/3+'s. Great performing tire when new but after 20k plus the performance degraded and they became very noisy. The first two sets of Michelin's both wore out after 28k miles of moderate street driving. I have also had the DWS on a prior vehicle. The Contis are a decent tire but fall short of the performance of the Michelin though offer greater comfort and tread life. My hope is the Goodyears will offer up improved wet performance over the Michelin's, be a bit quieter over the life of the tire, and also offer a bit more ride compliance. I'll have them on the car by 8/6. I'll repost once I have more to add.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I just picked up a set of Exhilarates in a 245/35 18 on a set of BBS SR's 8" wide wheels. I have yet to install them. I have run three sets of the Michelin PS AS 3/3+'s. Great performing tire when new but after 20k plus the performance degraded and they became very noisy. The first two sets of Michelin's both wore out after 28k miles of moderate street driving. I have also had the DWS on a prior vehicle. The Contis are a decent tire but fall short of the performance of the Michelin though offer greater comfort and tread life. My hope is the Goodyears will offer up improved wet performance over the Michelin's, be a bit quieter over the life of the tire, and also offer a bit more ride compliance. I'll have them on the car by 8/6. I'll repost once I have more to add.

Welcome to the forum.

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
Thanks for the very useful insight! Keep us posted. I’m interested how well they compare to DWS 06 and AS3+s. I’ve never had either of those in the past. I just know I will like them better than my current stock tires on the stock rims 😂

Vmax911

Passed Driver's Ed
I bought a set of Exhilarates online last week due to a bunch of rebates and had them mounted on new wheels today. I haven't put them on the car yet as I want to get spacers first. But I did want to mention that these tires have absolutely no wheel protection at all. My stock Pirelli's have a lip, my AS3+'s from my previous car had a good size lip. Zip on the Goodyears. Hope I never get close to a curb!

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
I bought a set of Exhilarates online last week due to a bunch of rebates and had them mounted on new wheels today. I haven't put them on the car yet as I want to get spacers first. But I did want to mention that these tires have absolutely no wheel protection at all. My stock Pirelli's have a lip, my AS3+'s from my previous car had a good size lip. Zip on the Goodyears. Hope I never get close to a curb!
Interesting. Let us know how they feel after a few good miles.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
They are great in the rain, but most importantly are very comfortable and quiet tires. Most tires give up their noise suppression after a few thousand KMs, but I've owned the AS3s for about 3 years now and they feel and sound just like they did brand new.

If you're looking for all seasons, go with the AS3+s.
If you do some googling comfortable and quiet are not on the list of complements the AS3+ often receive. Your Mustang probably has a lot taller sidewalls than the GTI so that may be the difference. Also remember they are ultra high performance all seasons, I believe the OP wanted something he could use year round. I know from experience in Wisc. the AS3+ are not safe for winter driving. The only reason I made it through a winter with them was because I have a 3 mile drive to work and avoided ice/snow whenever possible.

Litterbug

Car(s)
Mk7 Gti
Thanks for the very useful insight! Keep us posted. I’m interested how well they compare to DWS 06 and AS3+s. I’ve never had either of those in the past. I just know I will like them better than my current stock tires on the stock rims 😂

Will do.

I have a set of wheels with Exhilarates in the garage right now waiting to be returned. Sadly the wheels were damaged. The replacements are due by 8/5. The tires look great mounted, very excited to try them out. I'm certain you'll enjoy yours more than the stock P7's, I pulled those off my car at 800 miles
they were awful.

Be aware the 92Y load tires such as the Exhilarates should be run at 34psi, not 37psi according to info buried in the owner's manual.

Last edited:

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Be aware the 92Y load tires such as the Exhilarates should be run at 34psi, not 38psi according to info buried in the owner's manual.

Is that because yours are 245/35s? Most tires, even the AS3+ feel "soggy" below 35 psi.

Litterbug

Car(s)
Mk7 Gti
Is that because yours are 245/35s? Most tires, even the AS3+ feel "soggy" below 35 psi.

No. The AS3+ I have been running at that pressure are the stock size 225 40R 18, they have all worn evenly and been rotated per Michelin's requirement. The tire pressure is VW's suggested value for the optional 'summer tire' 92Y load rating tires per the manual.