GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official DIY TTRS Clutch Kit

03_uni_b

Car(s)
7.5 GTI, 04 GLI-3.2
The part list below is based on MK7/7.5 GTI's, mine being a 2018.

QtyPart NamePart Number
1VW Clutch Disc - Sachs Performance (Full face organic)881864999502
1VW Clutch Disc - Sachs Performance (4 puck sintered)881864999505
1Audi VW Pressure Plate Sachs Performance883082001422
1VW Clutch Release Bearing0A5141671N
6Audi VW Pressure Plate BoltN90320701
1VW Flywheel - Sachs06J105266AL

So, you're IS38 and this is what you're planning on going with? You plan on using the full face or the 4 puck?

I am putting together everything for my is38 swap and the clutch is the last thing I am stuck on. I daily my car so looking at the 881864999502 full face disc.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
So, you're IS38 and this is what you're planning on going with? You plan on using the full face or the 4 puck?

I am putting together everything for my is38 swap and the clutch is the last thing I am stuck on. I daily my car so looking at the 881864999502 full face disc.
Yes, I went with the full face organic disk. Broken in nicely and have done two track days so far, holding up well. Now I can finally do low rpm 3rd and 4th gear datalogs lol.

Grabs hard so took a bit of finessing to adjust my driving style, a bit more chatter as it's an unsprung disc.

03_uni_b

Car(s)
7.5 GTI, 04 GLI-3.2
Yes, I went with the full face organic disk. Broken in nicely and have done two track days so far, holding up well. Now I can finally do low rpm 3rd and 4th gear datalogs lol.

Grabs hard so took a bit of finessing to adjust my driving style, a bit more chatter as it's an unsprung disc.

Good to hear some real feedback. I haven't been sold on any of the aftermarket clutches per-say, and have been trying to find someone running this with an IS38. What are your other mods? What tune are you running? -If you don't mind me asking.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Good to hear some real feedback. I haven't been sold on any of the aftermarket clutches per-say, and have been trying to find someone running this with an IS38. What are your other mods? What tune are you running? -If you don't mind me asking.
Hard to beat the price and lifetime warranty through FCP for the SRE kit. Sachs is also an OE supplier so I have a little more faith there.

Mods are typical full bolt ons (IS38, downpipe, intercooler) and tuning is being done by Stratified. Still working through revisions: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/virtual-dyno-thread.376364/page-3#post-7472141

https://datazap.me/u/blaqsheep/log-1594394935?log=0&data=4-7

03_uni_b

Car(s)
7.5 GTI, 04 GLI-3.2
Hard to beat the price and lifetime warranty through FCP for the SRE kit. Sachs is also an OE supplier so I have a little more faith there.

Mods are typical full bolt ons (IS38, downpipe, intercooler) and tuning is being done by Stratified. Still working through revisions: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/virtual-dyno-thread.376364/page-3#post-7472141

https://datazap.me/u/blaqsheep/log-1594394935?log=0&data=4-7

Ordered the clutch, turbo, and RMS from FCP just now. Their warranty is truly hard to beat.

03_uni_b

Car(s)
7.5 GTI, 04 GLI-3.2
For those that didn't replace their flywheel, did you remove and replace the RMS while you did the clutch job?
I'll preface this by saying I'm at 16k miles and don't plan on replacing unless it shows obvious wear.

Last edited:

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
For those that didn't replace their flywheel, did you remove and replace the RMS while you did the clutch job?
I'll preface this by saying I'm at 16k miles and don't plan on replacing unless it shows obvious wear.

Replaced with iABED RMS at 10k untuned miles and kept original DMF.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
SO

When i did this on my car back in 2017(?) I kept the factory dmf because it looked fine and the RMS looked fine so i replaced neither. I ran this clutch all the way up until now. This clutch held over 430 hp to the wheels for me.
I am currently on EQT XL and was on my second E48 revision (first is basically a baseline file) and the clutch decided it had enough. I can drive it normal and it still holds, but if i give it the gas it slips. So it was good while it lasted and will easily hold is20 stage 2 and is38 pump tunes. You start getting into E tunes and it is no longer able to hold.

If you are on a budget and dont plan on going past is20 or past 93 IS38, then this clutch is great with near stock feel and drive ability.

I decided to give dkm stage 3 a try and will post updates in the future. Good luck all.

03_uni_b

Car(s)
7.5 GTI, 04 GLI-3.2
SO

When i did this on my car back in 2017(?) I kept the factory dmf because it looked fine and the RMS looked fine so i replaced neither. I ran this clutch all the way up until now. This clutch held over 430 hp to the wheels for me.
I am currently on EQT XL and was on my second E48 revision (first is basically a baseline file) and the clutch decided it had enough. I can drive it normal and it still holds, but if i give it the gas it slips. So it was good while it lasted and will easily hold is20 stage 2 and is38 pump tunes. You start getting into E tunes and it is no longer able to hold.

If you are on a budget and dont plan on going past is20 or past 93 IS38, then this clutch is great with near stock feel and drive ability.

I decided to give dkm stage 3 a try and will post updates in the future. Good luck all.

Appreciate the feedback. This car will be my main car I commute with so for now I will plan just is38 93. Possibly down the road I'll do more and will then consider a higher tq rated clutch. Thanks again

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Appreciate the feedback. This car will be my main car I commute with so for now I will plan just is38 93. Possibly down the road I'll do more and will then consider a higher tq rated clutch. Thanks again

Yup no problem. If i would have stayed IS20 this is the route i would go again 100% especially considering when i did it the cost was super cheap.
Loved it, my wife also had zero problems driving it. I know once the twin disc is in she is gonna make a comment on the drive ability/noise.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
Just to make sure is this everything that I will need to upgrade the clutch. DD going to be Stage 2 tune. 2017 GTI.
If I'm missing anything please let me know.
Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 11.10.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 11.14.47 PM.png

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Just to make sure is this everything that I will need to upgrade the clutch. DD going to be Stage 2 tune. 2017 GTI.
If I'm missing anything please let me know. View attachment 184713
View attachment 184714
Pretty sure you'll want some more hardware. Throw out bearing bolts, trans mount bolts, and axle bolts. Also a clutch alignment tool.

Might consider trans fluid as well.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Keep in mind the setup above is the SRE clutch, not TTRS. Get the throw out bearing and some OEM trans fluid from FCP as well. I also would swap the rear main seal to the billet iAbed version to future proof.

For peace of mind, you can get new bolts. Personally, I reused everything except trans mount bolts and dogbone/pendulum arm. Blue Loctite and make sure everything is torqued to spec.

This guide from ECS is handy if you're going to DIY, especially the bolt location template: http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f..._TSI_ECS_Stage_2_Clutch_&_Flywheel_Kit_r1.pdf

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
I ended up buying Motul Gear 300 oil. Is that good? Read good things about it. Also, what is “rear main seal to the billet iAbed”? Im going to have a shop do it for me. One is charging 400$ another 600$. No brainer going for the 400$ install