GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuel Pump Controller Options/Upgrades (this is gonna be a long one...)

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
@arob157 any progress? I saw a new LPFP kit that appears to be the RS3 fuel pump and an oem audi/vw controller. Just need a controller that works and figuring out the wiring/harness side of stuff and that might be a good / cheaper option as well.

I should have posted one. My apologies.

I stalled out when I found out about the Innovative Motorsports pump for $1099 including controller.

Also, Billy Amberg at A2B motorsports looks to have an RS3 pump with controller as well @ $950. The both use the 3-pin VAG brushless controllers. Same as Iroz Motorsports.

vw671

Autocross Newbie
A2B

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Does anyone have the part number for that controller? Any reason to use that one vs the RS3 6 pin controller and re-wire as required?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I found it, it looks like it is actually 6 pin as well. 2 rows of 3. @arob157 . I don't actually need any more fuel and happy where the car is now, or else I might look further into a cheaper DIY option.

7P0906093B

arob157

Drag Racing Champion

Ordered mine today from A2B today. Stoked to say the least. Makes way too much sense for my goals. And is still cheaper than a 525 + PM4.

Ecapskcab

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15 Mk7 GTI
Ordered mine today from A2B today. Stoked to say the least. Makes way too much sense for my goals. And is still cheaper than a 525 + PM4.

I feel dense but I have to ask. Is this solution a plug and play? Meaning no cutting, no need for another controller (PM4 w/ wiring) ? Can you please update results when you get it installed?

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
I feel dense but I have to ask. Is this solution a plug and play? Meaning no cutting, no need for another controller (PM4 w/ wiring) ? Can you please update results when you get it installed?

Yes. It is completely plug and play. It uses a new LPFP controller, but A2B provides an adapter harness to "rewire" everything from the stock harness to the new controller and pump.

With the exception that "tuning is required". This could be as straight forward as lowering LPFP duties to reasonable levels, or it could include coding out an error as well.

https://www.a2bmotorsport.net/a2brs...ort-rs3-brushless-fuel-pump-retrofit-kit.html

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
how would the A2B kit compare to a Pag Parts 525 and stock controller?

The GTI stock controller has a 20 amp fuse in place and are known to burn up when overloaded (one could install a 25amp fuse, but the controller will melt/fail). When looking at the flow vs. current of a 525 pump, at 80psi you are at 80Gph (~305lph) and 20.20 amps (if I am reading the chart correctly; and our system runs at 12V not 13.5V). The PAG Parts 525 is more efficient than a PR unit from what I have heard, so there is a bit more headroom on that pump.

Not 100% sure of the flow of the A2B pump, but it is directly out of the RS3 and adapted to our baskets.

Unitronic Stage 1+ RS3s are capable of 592HP on full e85 on stock fueling. Stage 2 RS3s usually require an MPI injector upgrade, but not a LPFP upgrade and bump up to 621HP. So it is easy to surmise that the A2B/RS3 pump pulls less amperage as it is brushless (and thus being plug and play). Even the power wires to the pump are in danger of melting at current loads above 20-22amps which the 525 or 450 pumps are capable of requiring to produce full flow. That is why the PM4 kit includes a larger gauge wire/harness.

PAGParts 525 = $750
PAGParts 525 + PM4 = $1500
A2B Motorsports RS3 Pump + Controller = $950
Innovative Motorsports Brushless + Controller = $1100

Last edited:

Ecapskcab

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15 Mk7 GTI
The GTI stock controller has a 20 amp fuse in place and are known to burn up when overloaded (one could install a 25amp fuse, but the controller will melt/fail). When looking at the flow vs. current of a 525 pump, at 80psi you are at 80Gph (~305lph) and 20.20 amps (if I am reading the chart correctly; and our system runs at 12V not 13.5V).

Not 100% sure of the flow of the A2B pump, but it is directly out of the RS3 and adapted to our baskets.

Stage 1 RS3s are capable of well over 500HP on full e85 on stock fueling. Stage 2 RS3s usually require an MPI injector upgrade, but not a LPFP upgrade. So it is easy to surmise that the A2B/RS3 pump pulls less amperage as it is brushless (and thus being plug and play). Even the power wires to the pump are in danger of melting at current loads above 20-22amps which the 525 or 450 pumps are capable of requiring to produce full flow. That is why the PM4 kit includes a larger gauge wire/harness.
Awesome information. Excited to see your thoughts once it gets installed.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Awesome information. Excited to see your thoughts once it gets installed.

Thanks a ton. Hope I am reading the charts right haha. I expanded on certain parts as well.

I have installed all of my own mods so far, but I think I am going to bite the bullet on the turbo/euro manifold/5 bar kit/LPFP and pay for the labor to get it done right.

Hoping to complete this in the next month.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
I'm running an EQT XL with an HPFP upgrade on a 91 map, and I'm itching to go to e30/e40 (full e85 is a +, but not needed), and I'm wondering if the A2B pump kit will work in this situation.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
The GTI stock controller has a 20 amp fuse in place and are known to burn up when overloaded (one could install a 25amp fuse, but the controller will melt/fail). When looking at the flow vs. current of a 525 pump, at 80psi you are at 80Gph (~305lph) and 20.20 amps (if I am reading the chart correctly; and our system runs at 12V not 13.5V). The PAG Parts 525 is more efficient than a PR unit from what I have heard, so there is a bit more headroom on that pump.

Unitronic Stage 1+ RS3s are capable of 592HP on full e85 on stock fueling. Stage 2 RS3s usually require an MPI injector upgrade, but not a LPFP upgrade and bump up to 621HP. So it is easy to surmise that the A2B/RS3 pump pulls less amperage as it is brushless (and thus being plug and play). Even the power wires to the pump are in danger of melting at current loads above 20-22amps which the 525 or 450 pumps are capable of requiring to produce full flow. That is why the PM4 kit includes a larger gauge wire/harness.

PAGParts 525 = $750
PAGParts 525 + PM4 = $1500
A2B Motorsports RS3 Pump + Controller = $950
Innovative Motorsports Brushless + Controller = $1100
Or one of you can buy my pagparts 525 pump and controller for 1k shipped lol