GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Can anyone measure the length of the callipers for me please?

What are you defining as the length? Just trying to get an idea of where you're going with this.

emichel6888

Go Kart Champion
I definitely have a MC that's going or something. I'll start a track session with a nice firm pedal, and as the day progresses, my pedal will basically be at the floor.

Bled multiple times and nothing on the lines and calipers seem to be leaking.

Anyone have any other suggestions before I get the MC changed?
Is the pedal still firm when the brakes engage just further down? If so you might just need to replace the inner piston seals. You might want to check out this post I just made: https://www.golfmk.com/forums/index...t-pedal-with-residual-pressure-valves.376654/

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
Is the pedal still firm when the brakes engage just further down? If so you might just need to replace the inner piston seals. You might want to check out this post I just made: https://www.golfmk.com/forums/index...t-pedal-with-residual-pressure-valves.376654/

Not really. My brakes basically engage at the bottom of travel atm.

Are you saying my inner piston seals are worn/leaking which is causing my issues?

Edit: reading your new post again, I've never really minded the small dead space and it was never that far down (for me). But my current issue is beyond a dead space/weak engagement. It's air in the system again as the pedal is at the floor basically, and I'm tearing my hair out trying to figure out where my brakes could possibly be sucking air in from

Last edited:

emichel6888

Go Kart Champion
Not really. My brakes basically engage at the bottom of travel atm.

Are you saying my inner piston seals are worn/leaking which is causing my issues?

Edit: reading your new post again, I've never really minded the small dead space and it was never that far down (for me). But my current issue is beyond a dead space/weak engagement. It's air in the system again as the pedal is at the floor basically, and I'm tearing my hair out trying to figure out where my brakes could possibly be sucking air in from

Okay sounds like maybe you do have air in the system, if there was a leak letting air in, there would be fluid leaking under pressure. Is it possible you just boiled the brake fluid? Or maybe there was always some air trapped in your system from when you did the upgrade? Did you do a full ABS bleed using a pressure bleeder? That is the only way I know to do it and it works.

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
Okay sounds like maybe you do have air in the system, if there was a leak letting air in, there would be fluid leaking under pressure. Is it possible you just boiled the brake fluid? Or maybe there was always some air trapped in your system from when you did the upgrade? Did you do a full ABS bleed using a pressure bleeder? That is the only way I know to do it and it works.

Yeah I've taken it to a shop to manually bleed. I've pressure bled and manually bled several times.

I run Castrol SRF so its highly unlikely I boiled it. I've definitely seen a bit of fluid around the reservoir area, but I'm not sure if that's from me spilling when topping off fluid or things are coming out.

emichel6888

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I've taken it to a shop to manually bleed. I've pressure bled and manually bled several times.

I run Castrol SRF so its highly unlikely I boiled it. I've definitely seen a bit of fluid around the reservoir area, but I'm not sure if that's from me spilling when topping off fluid or things are coming out.
When you used the pressure bleeder did you pump it up to 30 PSI and bleed both front calipers at the same time? You need to have a lot of fluid in the pressure bleeder to do this, and if you did not do it like this, you did not do a proper ABS bleed.
I know the brake pedal dead space and pump up is not horrible, you can get used to it, but trust me, if you experience it with these RPV's installed...

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
When you used the pressure bleeder did you pump it up to 30 PSI and bleed both front calipers at the same time? You need to have a lot of fluid in the pressure bleeder to do this, and if you did not do it like this, you did not do a proper ABS bleed.
I know the brake pedal dead space and pump up is not horrible, you can get used to it, but trust me, if you experience it with these RPV's installed...

Yup, def hit 30psi on the gauge and as far as I know the pressure held. I'm going to take it into my local VW dealer tomorrow and hopefully they can find something. I'm not getting my hopes up that anything can be warrantied, but hopefully they can identify what the issue is to start.

As for the RPV, I'm just aiming for a working brake pedal at this point :(

emichel6888

Go Kart Champion

Also if it is leaking in the reservoir area that is the low pressure side, that would not introduce air into the system unless you run out of fluid? You can also add brake fluid dye to see if there is a leak somewhere. If the master cylinder was leaking you would feel the pedal sink over time when you are on the brakes, if that is not happening it probably is not the MC. Most likely you just have some air trapped in the system and when it really heats up on track...
I telling you RPV's, you might think it is not so bad, but you will thank me later.

emichel6888

Go Kart Champion
Yup, def hit 30psi on the gauge and as far as I know the pressure held. I'm going to take it into my local VW dealer tomorrow and hopefully they can find something. I'm not getting my hopes up that anything can be warrantied, but hopefully they can identify what the issue is to start.

As for the RPV, I'm just aiming for a working brake pedal at this point :(
Hmm, I have never had this happen, but others have told me they had air trapped in the MC and nothing short of a bench bleed would get it out. However that is why I go to great lengths to not let the MC run dry and advocate keeping the brake pedal depressed while doing any brake work. Good luck!

TheBlondeFella

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Screenshot 2020-07-29 at 20.56.50.png

This is the side I would like the measurement of

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
Swapped over to my daily set up.

Now the brakes feel a bit better... not sure what on earth is going on. Still feels like there's air though