GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI shudders under hard acceleration

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm not too worried about getting that checked rn. I do know with APR that their tunes can be a bit more aggressive but I'm leaning towards heatsoak, fuel injectors and carbon build up. I placed an order for a CTS MQB DF IC to eliminate any heaksoak and since that was my next upgrade anyway. I was reading other forums that had similar issues to mine and they suggested Liquid Molly (Proline) Fuel System Cleaner and it completely got rid of the problem as well as the "normal" idle that sounds like a diesel, so I got one of those as well as their engine flush to go with the new oil. I'll update in 2 weeks after the IC get put on.

That fuel system cleaner doesn't clean the back of the valves. So it won't do anything for carbon buildup. What it probably did for you was clean a sticky injector.

SilverMK7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
That fuel system cleaner doesn't clean the back of the valves. So it won't do anything for carbon buildup. What it probably did for you was clean a sticky injector.
Oh no I knew that. And yes thats I was intending to use it for. I haven't addressed or even looked into seeing if there was any carbon build up yet, I'm trying to eliminate other factors before I pay for it to get looked at. If I need to fork out the $800 for carbon cleaning after then it'll have to sit for a couple weeks.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Oh no I knew that. And yes thats I was intending to use it for. I haven't addressed or even looked into seeing if there was any carbon build up yet, I'm trying to eliminate other factors before I pay for it to get looked at. If I need to fork out the $800 for carbon cleaning after then it'll have to sit for a couple weeks.

How many miles do you have?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Almost 66,000. Only have been tuned about 20,000 I'd say.

The carbon buildup shouldn't be too bad then. You could just do chemical cleaning too which is much less expensive than manual cleaning. I had that done to mine at 50,000 miles and had them borescope it before and after. I think the cost was around $250.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Oh thats not too bad at all. Did you have a bad carbon issue or just for piece of mind? If so what were the symptoms?

I didn't have any symptoms. I just had it done as preventive maintenance. The pictures they took were great because it showed before and after. If it wasn't for the fact that I have 1 spark plug seal that's leaking and since the valve cover has to come off to replace the seal so I'll get manual cleaning done at the same time. Otherwise I would have just done the chemical cleaning again at 100K.

SilverMK7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Oh okay, I was also looking into CRC intake valve cleaner, that may also be a good option, removes at least 46% of build up they say. I may try that to get me through until I know that I really need the cleaning. Also running at 3000 rpms for 20 min will bake off some too, VW recommends this as a preventative.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Oh okay, I was also looking into CRC intake valve cleaner, that may also be a good option, removes at least 46% of build up they say. I may try that to get me through until I know that I really need the cleaning. Also running at 3000 rpms for 20 min will bake off some too, VW recommends this as a preventative.
CRC is pretty good.

SilverMK7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Update: I bought a can of C&R and the problem disappeared. Also seems to have restored around a 100hp! The GTI has never thrown me back that hard in my seat ever! Before anyone gets a carbon cleaning check them out, highly recommend.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Update: I bought a can of C&R and the problem disappeared. Also seems to have restored around a 100hp! The GTI has never thrown me back that hard in my seat ever! Before anyone gets a carbon cleaning check them out, highly recommend.

Where did you spray it in?

Ecapskcab

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15 Mk7 GTI
Lost my 10mm so through the intake pipe itself

I've been following the thread because I'm having the same issue aswell. I feel dumb for asking but direct into the intake pipe?

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
I've been following the thread because I'm having the same issue aswell. I feel dumb for asking but direct into the intake pipe?
I’m guessing something like this

SilverMK7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
It's the pipe that runs from your air filter to your turbo. Pop off your cold air intake or if you're stock just lift the cover and spray it right up in there👍