GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Good to know. Thanks for the quick reply. The reason I bought the 17930 is because my mid pipe is part of the stock cat back 2.5 inch piping. Isn’t the 17950 3 inch piping?

edit: just read your first page thread that says the 2.5 inch resonator does not slip over the stock piping. I will shoot for the 17950. Is there any difference in sound between these two resonators? I would assume the 3 inch piping would make for a slightly louder exhaust noise?

There’s zero difference in volume, plus you get the slight benefit of continuing on with 3” rather than dropping to smaller than OEM.

Tons of examples on my channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu8yTGcWyQYExsTq8fhQhmg

Sleep7R

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG
Just installed my downpipe and getting some bad rasp.

I have the stock catback. I understand the recommendation is a 17950, but is that assuming welding? Will the clamps from my resonator delete work?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Just installed my downpipe and getting some bad rasp.

I have the stock catback. I understand the recommendation is a 17950, but is that assuming welding? Will the clamps from my resonator delete work?

No, you can’t just clamp a 17950 on (or at least you shouldn’t, but people get wild lol).

Theres a company who sells bolt on solutions since 99.9% of mk7 owners can’t weld.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I currently have stock downpipe, Vibrant 17950, and nothing past that, just a straight muffler delete going back to dual tips. Its is nice and quiet at freeway speeds but I get a little drone around town (1500-2000rpm range). My main goal right now is to just reduce the volume a little bit. I'm considering the following:

1) CSS Muffler
2) Adding on a universal muffler somewhere
3) Just splurging an buying AWE Touring edition.

I'd really rather not spend $800 on this but I'm worried the CSS won't really be any quieter than my current setup. Does anyone have Vibrant 17950 + CSS muffler? If so can you tell me at what volume is like and what drone you get, if any? Welcoming all suggestions.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I currently have stock downpipe, Vibrant 17950, and nothing past that, just a straight muffler delete going back to dual tips. Its is nice and quiet at freeway speeds but I get a little drone around town (1500-2000rpm range). My main goal right now is to just reduce the volume a little bit. I'm considering the following:

1) CSS Muffler
2) Adding on a universal muffler somewhere
3) Just splurging an buying AWE Touring edition.

I'd really rather not spend $800 on this but I'm worried the CSS won't really be any quieter than my current setup. Does anyone have Vibrant 17950 + CSS muffler? If so can you tell me at what volume is like and what drone you get, if any? Welcoming all suggestions.

CSS will do the trick, expect 20% volume reduction

Sleep7R

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG
Quick question I couldn't find an answer to. I just reinstalled my stock resonator while waiting for the 17950. Is the 17950 louder than the stock resonator? I kinda liked the loudness with a downpipe and without a resonator, but the rasp was real bad. The stock resonator got rid of the rasp, but really muted the sound.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Quick question I couldn't find an answer to. I just reinstalled my stock resonator while waiting for the 17950. Is the 17950 louder than the stock resonator? I kinda liked the loudness with a downpipe and without a resonator, but the rasp was real bad. The stock resonator got rid of the rasp, but really muted the sound.
Yes the 17950 works better than the stock in regards in regards to resonation canceling, side effect of that is you will drop the Decibles also and it’s still a form of a straight thru muffler with packing design. Depending on your rear muffler setup it could be very noticeable in the way it affects the loudness, but it could also not.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
@GTI Jake Do you happen to know the length of the stock GTI resonator off the top of your head?

No, I don’t. It doesn’t really apply to anything I build since I replace all the way till after the bend to make the midpipe a bolt on.

The OEM resonator has a hanger welded to it, so you can’t just grab some clamps and a 17950 and Jimmy rig something together

Deanjet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
2015 GTI, please help. Just went stage 2 with an APR catted down-pipe, remainder of exhaust is stock. How do I tone down the noise? I am older and done with loud exhausts. If anything I want a deeper tone.

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
2015 GTI, please help. Just went stage 2 with an APR catted down-pipe, remainder of exhaust is stock. How do I tone down the noise? I am older and done with loud exhausts. If anything I want a deeper tone.
You found the correct thread to post In for this matter...

Just back to the first page and read the first post, it will explain your best course of action.