GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Creaking doors? Mystery solved

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Is this the one? I've had it on my wish list but was hoping the cheaper Honda stuff would work. The Honda lube does make the rubber look brand new again so that is nice at least.

https://www.amazon.com/Mc-Lube-SAIL...ild=1&keywords=Sailkote&qid=1589247024&sr=8-1

That's the stuff.
The Honda lube, and anything like it - is a good idea.
Keeping the rubber seals soft and pliable is a good thing, particularly in these cars.
Sailkote on the felt will silence the felt.
The felt is noisy.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
That's the stuff.
The Honda lube, and anything like it - is a good idea.
Keeping the rubber seals soft and pliable is a good thing, particularly in these cars.
Sailkote on the felt will silence the felt.
The felt is noisy.

Okay nice, well it paid off waiting for a reply the price just dropped from 30 to 21.90.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
The magic combo.
20200513_215652.jpg

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Used the Sailkote. Zero door noise.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Used the Sailkote. Zero door noise.

Mine should be arriving early next week, funny thing is it warmed up to 75 here today and now the doors are silent. I might not apply it until I hear them next.

sjnbgti

Passed Driver's Ed
Tried WD40 dry lube like another member mentioned on the felt and all the creaking has gone away for me. Didn't use anything on the rubber either. $6 bottle did it for me, didn't want to spend the $20+ for the Sailkote if I didn't have to.

Last edited:

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Tried WD40 dry lube like another member mentioned on the felt and all the creaking has gone away for me. Didn't use anything on the rubber. $6 bottle did it for me, didn't want to spend the $20+ for the Sailkote if I didn't have to.

Nice, that was my original plan before reading about the Sailkote. Probably should have tried it first after all.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Tried WD40 dry lube like another member mentioned on the felt and all the creaking has gone away for me. Didn't use anything on the rubber. $6 bottle did it for me, didn't want to spend the $20+ for the Sailkote if I didn't have to.
Had a feeling that would do the trick. And seems to prove the theory that wet lube is not be needed inside thx rubber flap.

I did both at the same time but likely only needed the dry lube on the felt.

NewYorkerInLA

Car(s)
MK7 GTI PP
Tried WD40 dry lube like another member mentioned on the felt and all the creaking has gone away for me. Didn't use anything on the rubber either. $6 bottle did it for me, didn't want to spend the $20+ for the Sailkote if I didn't have to.
This. Some dry lubes leave white residue that can be a pain to clean BTW. WD-40 Dry Lube dries clear, and completely resolved the issue for me.

steveaustin

Ready to race!
Interesting how we've all had different successes...I have never done anything to the felt -- just used gummi pflege inside the top channel and it's worked. I do it maybe 2x a year or as-needed. Don't think I've done it more than that but my god it's like a new car. I was have no rattles at all in my car except an occasional adjustment of the cup holder teeth or whatever those are. Of course I also lubed the sunroof with it too (just the back rubber piece that the glass rest on when closed). It used to also make a ton of noise. What's nice is these 2 things make the car feel so solid.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Of course I also lubed the sunroof with it too (just the back rubber piece that the glass rest on when closed). It used to also make a ton of noise. What's nice is these 2 things make the car feel so solid.

It makes no sense but in the process of removing one kind of lube from the sunroof to apply another I discovered it was actually quieter without any lube during a test drive. I think if too much lube is used (the kind the dealer applied) the sunroof ends up moving around more than it should so a very light coating is probably best.

GPL

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 7.5 Golf 1.5
Hello guys.
This is a good thread cheers.

This is to Nype

I cleaned the rubber and felt on top of the one rear door today to test out the Sailkote dry spray and the Krytox
i have not purchased these products yet but have a 3M 08897 Silicone Dry type spray at hand i thought i would try and test.

Anyway i cleaned and let dry the one rear door felt and Rubber with Methylated spirits then coated the felt with this dry silicone spray
let dry and tested creeks by pushing the glass on the top and rear of the door and it was just as loud as ever

So the only way i have been able to quieten down these creeks in the past is to coat the inside rubber with carnauba wax i have
icoated it in the carnauba and tried the push test on the door again and it is 90% better straight away.

The car wax does not last long on these rubbers and creeks start to reappear by the way.

So on my car it seems so far to be the Rubber that causes the most noise not the Felt?

I will buy some Sailkote and Krytox now but do i buy the oil or greased type Krytox

Cheers.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Hello guys.

This is to Nype

I cleaned the rubber and felt on top of the one rear door today to test out the Sailkote dry spray and the Krytox
i have not purchased these products yet but have a 3M 08897 Silicone Dry type spray at hand i thought i would try and test.

Anyway i cleaned and let dry the one rear door felt and Rubber with Methylated spirits then coated the felt with this dry silicone spray
let dry and tested creeks by pushing the glass on the top and rear of the door and it was just as loud as ever

So the only way i have been able to quieten down these creeks in the past is to coat the inside rubber with carnauba wax i have
icoated it in the carnauba and tried the push test on the door again and it is 90% better straight away.

The car wax does not last long on these rubbers and creeks start to reappear by the way.

So on my car it seems so far to be the Rubber that causes the most noise not the Felt?

I will buy some Sailkote and Krytox now but do i buy the oil or greased type Krytox

Cheers.
I will just chime in. Krytox did nothing for mine.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32

This is the problem I have pointed out previously in the thread and where my rubber tubing solution did help... for a while.
The creaking point for me is the actual rubber where the window meets the rubber Inside the frame, not along the top of the door.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Hello guys.

This is to Nype

Cheers.
Well like I said, I did both Krytox and Sailkote once, whenever I first posted about it. Haven’t had to reapply again. I thought the Sailkote alone would have done the trick. Perhaps I was wrong.