GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Correct Oil Temp??

mac340

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
I watched again and maybe a mix difference of about 10*F during warmup and within 5 once warmed up. During warmup the gauge cluster was always lower than AP reading. A few times after some pulls the AP would read cooler than gauge cluster.

I looked thru that SSP manual or whatever and it only shows a single oil temp temp sensor located in the oil pan. So for now my best guess again is that the gauge cluster reading is simply delayed / averaged out over time vs AP which is probably reading direct from the sensor. This is on a 2017 Audi S3, might be a little different for the VWs, but who knows.
I just got an AP last week and I notice about the same, once its up to temp they vary but are usually within a few degrees.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I watched again and maybe a mix difference of about 10*F during warmup and within 5 once warmed up. During warmup the gauge cluster was always lower than AP reading. A few times after some pulls the AP would read cooler than gauge cluster.

I looked thru that SSP manual or whatever and it only shows a single oil temp temp sensor located in the oil pan. So for now my best guess again is that the gauge cluster reading is simply delayed / averaged out over time vs AP which is probably reading direct from the sensor. This is on a 2017 Audi S3, might be a little different for the VWs, but who knows.

10degF is not a lot to me, especially during warmup. 5degF is less than 3degC, perfectly fine with me (I use degC for everything, hence the emphasis).

Navi

Autocross Champion
The Dash & AP pull the temp from 2 different sensors/places.

are you sure about this? I forgot who told me, but I could have sworn I was told there is only one sensor for oil temp. And why would the car have two different ones and have the obd2 port pull from a different sensor than the car display? o_O

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
are you sure about this? I forgot who told me, but I could have sworn I was told there is only one sensor for oil temp. And why would the car have two different ones and have the obd2 port pull from a different sensor than the car display? o_O

I agree with that.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Well this came up just now in a facebook post, which made me finally dig a little more into it.

The SSP/repair manual only shows the one in the oil pan. It shows 2 pressure sensors in the oil filter housing, nothing about another temp sensor. My casual observation is that the instrument panel one lags behind...both when warming up and cooling down. The instrument panel value may simply be delayed / averaged out.

It's not uncommon at all to lag/average out instrument panel gauges to avoid big spikes and stuff. My other car has oil temp and pressure in the cluster and it's definitely more laggy and smoothed out vs actual logged values.

1594581153954.png