GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

buying GTI - couple questions

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
17 and 19 SE's don't have cloth as an option. So you'd be comparing a 17 Sport or a 19 S to an 18 SE, which means there are many differences other than the sunroof, as have largely been spelled out above. Of course, dynamically, you're correct, absolutely the same car (although I suppose the 7hp on the 19 makes it a little different.)

Did you read my post before responding?

I said nothing about a 17 or 19 S or SE. I was specifically replying to the OP’s mention of a 17 sport, and 18 SE cloth. Besides the Better warranty and sunroof with the 18 SE, what are the differences between the two cited cars?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Yep. 18’s were last year of the 6 DSG, sans the ‘19 Alltrack.

comparing 17 sport and 18 SE plaid, the only real difference will then be the sunroof.

Did you read my post before responding?

I said nothing about a 17 or 19 S or SE. I was specifically replying to the OP’s mention of a 17 sport, and 18 SE cloth. Besides the Better warranty and sunroof with the 18 SE, what are the differences between the two cited cars?
No, I just made shit up. Oh wait, no, I replied exactly to your post, let's see.

17 Sport
Does have under seat drawer
Does have locking and air conditioned glove box
Does have cloth battery cover
Does have under hood insulation
Does have red GTI badges front and rear
Does have backlit over head lights
Does have little chrome nits on the window switches

17 Sport wheels being much rarer (and better) than the 18 and on Miltons
Obvious Mk7 vs Mk7.5 differences in front and rear bumpers and lights and exhaust tips and spacing

Does not have LED's (HID instead)
Does not have piano black trim (matte grey honeycomb instead)
Does not have 8" MIB2
Does not have Auto headlights
Does not have Auto wipers
Does not have Auto Collision Braking
Does not have Blind Spot Monitoring
Does not have Cross Traffic Detection in reverse

I honestly don't recall if the 17 Sport had Fender or KESSY? 18 SE did not have Fender available, but does have KESSY.

Worth noting that a 19 S has the old PP standard, so the difference to an 18 SE would be the added 7hp and lack of sunroof, auto wipers, lights and non LED headlights and tails, XM avialability and possibly KESSY. Also worth noting that 18 SE's had pleather as an option, so be sure to double check any listing.

Last edited:

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Sport no Fender but a decent 8 spkr system with SD card (and quaint CD player!)

Kessy...it were the lights (good HID's) and LSD that made it my choice of the models they were selling then. I know it had the extra couple of HP not sure if that was on S.

+1 on some of the best VW wheels

Last edited:

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Sort no Fender but a decent 8 spkr system with SD card (and quaint CD player!)

Kessy...it were the lights (good HID's) and LSD that made it my choice of the models they were selling then. I know it had the extra couple of HP not sure if that was on S.

+1 on some of the best VW wheels
My 18 SE still has the CD player and SD card reader, but it seems like not all did. Some 18's also still seem to have received the full battery cover and hood liner. Guess they were burning off old inventory.

I actually think the old HID's had more steering input than the LED's, especially up and down, the LED's are pretty minimal in their adjustments. I've had the Fender and now don't, not sure I really miss it.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
No, I just made shit up. Oh wait, no, I replied exactly to your post, let's see.

17 Sport

Obvious Mk7 vs Mk7.5 differences in front and rear bumpers and lights and exhaust tips and spacing

Does not have 8" MIB2

I honestly don't recall if the 17 Sport had Fender or KESSY? 18 SE did not have Fender available, but does have KESSY.

Worth noting that a 19 S has the old PP standard, so the difference to an 18 SE would be the added 7hp and lack of sunroof, auto wipers, lights and non LED headlights and tails, XM avialability and possibly KESSY. Also worth noting that 18 SE's had pleather as an option, so be sure to double check any listing.

The only thing I would miss about the 17 Sport is the wheels but I could buy some. Believe the 17 sport rims are like 300 a piece, would prob get something different though

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car

17 Sport

Does not have 8" MIB2

Lol. So angry.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Lol. So angry.
Not really, just find the 'did you read my post' thing annoying when I clearly had. There are differences, mostly insignificant, but the universal differences between all Mk7's and Mk7.5's is what's at play. Having owned both, yeah, it doesn't really matter, but they're still there. I'd add a 2019 S into the mix if I were the OP, just because it's not that far removed from a 2017 Sport or 2019 Rabbit (the US version.)

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
kind of interesting, for 2019 car guru private sale values with 12,000 miles dsg:

GTI Rabbit: $24,016
GTI SE: $21,916
GTI Autobahn $22,191

Rabbit was the cheapest msrp but seems to be holding the value most right now on used market. Wonder if they will keep up once the mk8 comes to market,

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
kind of interesting, for 2019 car guru private sale values with 12,000 miles dsg:

GTI Rabbit: $24,016
GTI SE: $21,916
GTI Autobahn $22,191

Rabbit was the cheapest msrp but seems to be holding the value most right now on used market. Wonder if they will keep up once the mk8 comes to market,
I'd imagine the Rabbit and Sport will be the two GTI"s that hold their value the best going forward, especially the Cornflower or Urano Grey Rabbits since those were exclusive colors.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

Owning a 2019 Rabbit, I dont think its going to have significant difference over other trims with time.

I'd imagine the Rabbit and Sport will be the two GTI"s that hold their value the best going forward, especially the Cornflower or Urano Grey Rabbits since those were exclusive colors.

If you just go with US production numbers, black and white Rabbits (500 each) are rare than gray or blue (1000 each).

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Did you try the 7-speed DSG in sport mode? Even the 6-speed DSG in normal mode tries it's hardest to lug the engine around town. When I think I am going to want more power I typically just tap the shifter down to switch to sport mode temporarily.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
Owning a 2019 Rabbit, I dont think its going to have significant difference over other trims with time.

If you just go with US production numbers, black and white Rabbits (500 each) are rare than gray or blue (1000 each).

yea, prob not significant difference but maybe slightly only because it has limited numbers. The sport doesn’t have increased value and it’s because they are readily available.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
yea, prob not significant difference but maybe slightly only because it has limited numbers. The sport doesn’t have increased value and it’s because they are readily available.

I have seen quite a few Rabbit Editions pop up on Carvana (usually labeled as the S trim). Pretty much any GTI they list on there sells within a couple hours of being posted. I got a crazy deal on my SE from them about a year ago because they mistakenly labeled it as an S due to the plaid seats lol

ShadyR6

Car(s)
2018 GTI
I have seen quite a few Rabbit Editions pop up on Carvana (usually labeled as the S trim). Pretty much any GTI they list on there sells within a couple hours of being posted. I got a crazy deal on my SE from them about a year ago because they mistakenly labeled it as an S due to the plaid seats lol
What kind of deal did you get?