GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Electronic Parking Brake Fault

Srsanford

Car(s)
Golf R
Background: Golf R bought from dealer as a demonstrator at 12k, tyres nearing bald!
Since 12k, the electric handbrake held on until released manually- like a conventional cable handbrake- which I therefore thought as normal, satisfactory behaviour!. (I always turned auto hold off)

My battery was changed-still to “register it with the system” I don’t want stop/start; I think it can be switched off in the software-but the dealer did not know how....
I don’t want a battery condition module...

but the electric handbrake now grabs on momentarily, but does not hold on- totally dangerous.
Now impossible to keep handbrake “ on”. I dont mind a motor to pull on the handbrake, but with a straight wire switch, no software!
I would far rather have my R32 back, or no gizzmos, reliable car...
who needs thirty buttons on the steering wheel? Just need horn pads!

VW tech dept refused to help-“go to main stealer!”

Another contributor says “Electronic handbrake is an EU requirement, to avoid discriminating against those not able to operate one”. Really. They're spec'd on all makes now, or very soon will be. America is of course immune form the diktats of Brussels ...

My local (great) independent cleared 41 errors, and said “keep engine ticking over while changing battery to avoid losing software settings)
Now the electric handbrake works “as intended”-ie the minute you put it into gear, touch the clutch, touch the throttle, it releases automatically: I would far rather it worked as before-at least I was in control, not the VW automaton...!

Last edited:

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Assuming it's under warranty, take it to the dealer. If the electric handbrake remains in 'only function when it feels like it' mode, I reccomend leaving the car in gear when parked, so you know the car won't go anywhere. It's long been a habit for me as I've 2 parking brakes 'let go' on me; one manual, one electric. When the manual one 'let go', it rolled into another car which had a heavily pregnant woman inside. Fortunately causing no damage and, no, she didn't give birth there and then ;)....

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
My battery was changed-still to “register it with the system”
but the electric handbrake grabs but does not hold on- totally dangerous.
Now impossible to handbrake “ on”. I dont mind a motor to pull on the handbrake, but with a straight wire switch, no software!
I would far rather have my R32 back, or no gizzmos, reliable car...
who needs thirty buttons on the steering wheel? Just need horn pads!

VW tech dept refused to help-“go to main stealer!”

Electronic handbrake is an EU requirement, to avoid discriminating against those not able to operate one. Really. They're spec'd on all makes now, or very soon will be. America is of course immune form the diktats of Brussels ...

How thick are your brake pads?

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
EPB not holding

I have a similar problem. Intermittently, when driving off from stationary, having been parked on a hill, instead of the usual smooth disengagement of the handbrake as the clutch engages, the car rolls back (or forward). So far, I've hit the brake quickly enough to prevent a collision but I feel it's only a matter of time before I have an accident with this 11 month old dangerous car. Needless to say, the car's been back to the dealership countless times but both they and VW seem unable to resolve the problem. I'm sick of the car and wish I'd never bought it.

That is not an issue. The OP talked about a fault. What you describe is normal. You have to give the car gas in order for it to know to release the brake automatically, so there will always be a slight jerk forward and you should anticipate that. But that is just from parked. Having auto hold on (different than having parking brake on) in normal traffic does not do that, it just releases the second you touch the accelerator.

The OP actually has a technical fault. Mine works perfect on my 7.5.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
That is not an issue. The OP talked about a fault. What you describe is normal. You have to give the car gas in order for it to know to release the brake automatically, so there will always be a slight jerk forward and you should anticipate that. But that is just from parked. Having auto hold on (different than having parking brake on) in normal traffic does not do that, it just releases the second you touch the accelerator.

The OP actually has a technical fault. Mine works perfect on my 7.5.
You do know you just replied to a post from 5 years ago, right?