GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Evap system leaking fuel! Need help

raul.ruiz912

I bought this lovely piece of joy last August (2019). The leak happens around the right rea corner of the vehicle from the charcoal canister.

1. The tank builds pressure when the car is not running.
2.when you take the gas cap off it sounds like a bad gargling.
3. After all the noise it will leak out until done.
4. The car wont leak with cap off.

Now back story I found paperwork in the car that it has a stage 1 Giac tune, and a catless downpipe. Also the recall was completed in 2016.
Currently I have replaced the purge valve, replaced the suction pump again (recall part) also the gas cap and two charcoal canisters. Has anyone had or know of a similar issue and possible fix. I dont want to get rid of the car but its driving me nuts. All the work has been done locally in Tucson, Az... TIA

Attachments

• 20200518_133815.jpg
    20200518_133815.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 568

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Get it properly diagnosed. I wouldn't have replaced parts before getting it diagnosed. Isn't it throwing any codes?

raul.ruiz912

Get it properly diagnosed. I wouldn't have replaced parts before getting it diagnosed. Isn't it throwing any codes?
Not one code! Three shops, full work ups and no real answer on what to look at or how to approach the issue. I'm taking it monday but I'm sure there will be no findings.

raul.ruiz912

It's out of warranty, that was the next step the rollover valve. It's super frustrating especially when everyone says it's good to go. Diagnostic fees are killing me.

carlos_a

Car(s)
GTI 2017
It's out of warranty, that was the next step the rollover valve. It's super frustrating especially when everyone says it's good to go. Diagnostic fees are killing me.
Hi @raul.ruiz912, do you have any updates? I’m having the exact same issue with my 2017 GTI. Getting the same gas leak from the vapor canister, and when I try to fill my tank it’s also cutting off the gas nozzle while having less than 1/4 tank of gas.

raul.ruiz912

Hi @raul.ruiz912, do you have any updates? I’m having the exact same issue with my 2017 GTI. Getting the same gas leak from the vapor canister, and when I try to fill my tank it’s also cutting off the gas nozzle while having less than 1/4 tank of gas.

Well after one more leak, the shop called VW and low and behold there is apparently a check valve that is molded into the fuel tank. The fuel tank is on order.

carlos_a

Car(s)
GTI 2017
Well after one more leak, the shop called VW and low and behold there is apparently a check valve that is molded into the fuel tank. The fuel tank is on order.

Hope that fixes your issue, I’ll try changing the suction pump on my end and see if it fixes the leak. I’ve seen a couple of instances of the same problem across the internet, not sure if VW has a pending recall for 2017 models

raul.ruiz912

They did the suction pump, and x2 charcoal canisters. I replaced the purge valve, gas cap. This has been a huge pain in the a@@. Usually 18 days is when it will start leaking.

On a side note the suction pump was running backwards when the car was off. Or so I was told.

About a leak away from selling it!

carlos_a

Car(s)
GTI 2017
Update:

I replaced the suction pump yesterday and was able to fill the tank, also no leaks as of now. Will update the thread if it starts to leak again

raul.ruiz912

Just got my car back, the fuel tank was replaced. Hopefully that was it, ran out of parts to throw at it.. thankfully extended warranty covered it