GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

07/14 Build Date - Stage 2 or Stage 3?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I will try that once my buddy gets here. However, I’m under the hood now and everything below the crank pulley is wet. Also, not sure if this is related, but the coolant in the tank has turned from pink to a dark brown almost black.

Most likely oil in the coolant.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
I will try that once my buddy gets here. However, I’m under the hood now and everything below the crank pulley is wet. Also, not sure if this is related, but the coolant in the tank has turned from pink to a dark brown almost black.

Sounds like you have much bigger problems than a clutch. What kind of liquid is under the pulley?

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
The only thing modded is the intake and downpipe; it never had a tune. I'll be switching them back to stock tonight. The dealership won't have a loaner available for me for a couple days. So hopefully it lasts till then.

It's on lowering springs too. I doubt they would, but hopefully they won't say anything about that somehow being a contributing factor.

"Your lowering springs moved the angle of the cv axles, which put more wear on the diff and transmission leading to premature clutch failure and crankwalk."

- Some dealer, somewhere.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Get a flashlight and another human. Have them push the clutch in and out while you shine the light on the crank pulley. If you see any movement at all, then chances are you have the problem.

No movement while pushing the clutch.

Sounds like you have much bigger problems than a clutch. What kind of liquid is under the pulley?

Hard to tell. Doesn’t smell like anything. It’s not thick.

"Your lowering springs moved the angle of the cv axles, which put more wear on the diff and transmission leading to premature clutch failure and crankwalk."

- Some dealer, somewhere.

I could see that being my luck. I already put the stock downpipe and intake back on. What’s another couple hours for the stock springs I guess..

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Well, the way that it could be looked at, even if it's not a direct cause, the dealer will see the car is lowered (modded) which means most likely driven hard and possibly other mods.

I wouldn't worry about the springs personally, but it wouldn't hurt.

Also make sure you put the downpipe to turbo clamp on the "right" way like the factory. As in, the head of the bolt facing the back of the car so it's hard to access! lol

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Well, the way that it could be looked at, even if it's not a direct cause, the dealer will see the car is lowered (modded) which means most likely driven hard and possibly other mods.

I wouldn't worry about the springs personally, but it wouldn't hurt.

Also make sure you put the downpipe to turbo clamp on the "right" way like the factory. As in, the head of the bolt facing the back of the car so it's hard to access! lol

Yep, I made sure to put it on the backwards way.

I took the car for a drive now that it’s back to stock and the clutch wasn’t slipping at all. I guess it’s possible that the extra 30-40(?) HP from the intake and downpipe was enough to get it to start slipping. I haven’t noticed the clutch sticking to the floor anymore either.

However, there’s still a bad burning smell coming from the engine anytime it’s running.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yep, I made sure to put it on the backwards way.

I took the car for a drive now that it’s back to stock and the clutch wasn’t slipping at all. I guess it’s possible that the extra 30-40(?) HP from the intake and downpipe was enough to get it to start slipping. I haven’t noticed the clutch sticking to the floor anymore either.

However, there’s still a bad burning smell coming from the engine anytime it’s running.

Make sure that you check out the dark coolant problem also. When you check your oil do you see any hints of coolant in the oil on the dipstick?

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Make sure that you check out the dark coolant problem also. When you check your oil do you see any hints of coolant in the oil on the dipstick?

Do this. Usually any coolant will form a sludgy goo on the dipstick.

Pull the hose from the coolant overflow reservoir, or use a turkey baster to drain some of the coolant into a glass. If there's oil in it, it will float on top.

Diggs has a good idea. Pull the oil filter and cut it in half lengthwise to check for metal.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Do this. Usually any coolant will form a sludgy goo on the dipstick.

Pull the hose from the coolant overflow reservoir, or use a turkey baster to drain some of the coolant into a glass. If there's oil in it, it will float on top.

Diggs has a good idea. Pull the oil filter and cut it in half lengthwise to check for metal.

Dipstick looks totally normal. No sludge or anything unusual. I didn’t cut my oil filter in half, but I took it out and looked it over last night and didn’t see anything shiny or metallic.

However, on my drive home from work right now, I was slowing down so the person in front of me could turn. I downshifted. There was, what I am only describe as, a sloppy crunch feeling in the clutch pedal. It didn’t get stuck though, it came back up. But I instantly got hit with that same burning smell I smelled yesterday. It lasted the rest of the drive home without sticking or slipping though, just the smell. Popped the hood but can’t tell where it’s coming from. I know what grease smells like and oil, it’s neither of those. Some new smell that I’ve never smelled on a car before. The clutch does feel different. Looser and easier to push. No visible liquids leaking. At least none that are leaking enough to cause a spill on my garage floor.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Dipstick looks totally normal. No sludge or anything unusual. I didn’t cut my oil filter in half, but I took it out and looked it over last night and didn’t see anything shiny or metallic.

However, on my drive home from work right now, I was slowing down so the person in front of me could turn. I downshifted. There was, what I am only describe as, a sloppy crunch feeling in the clutch pedal. It didn’t get stuck though, it came back up. But I instantly got hit with that same burning smell I smelled yesterday. It lasted the rest of the drive home without sticking or slipping though, just the smell. Popped the hood but can’t tell where it’s coming from. I know what grease smells like and oil, it’s neither of those. Some new smell that I’ve never smelled on a car before. The clutch does feel different. Looser and easier to push. No visible liquids leaking. At least none that are leaking enough to cause a spill on my garage floor.

Sounds like burning clutch smells. Have you checked the dark coolant?

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Sounds like burning clutch smells. Have you checked the dark coolant?

I haven’t taken any out of the reservoir yet to check. I did open and look inside and it’s a brown-pink. I feel like normally it’s a pretty clear pink.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Another issue that would be new to me.. Is that usually something that happens with clutch issues? Or do I just happen to be having two (or more) separate things going on at once? Lol

The clutch and the dark coolant is two different things.