GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Power Stop Z23/Z26 brake pads

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Anyone here ever use the Power Stop brake pads? Specifically the Z23/Z26 brake pads for daily use front and rear (both use the same compound).

I'm looking for pads in my Golf R stock brakes (GTI w/PP).

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm using the z26 in front, stock pads in the rear for daily and autocross. They Are quiet unless it's cold out and with as many as 4 people autocrossing the car in a single day in FL heat, no fade.

I'm planning on adding the z23 in the rear and swapping to the Track Day pad for track, but I'm using Macan front calipers. For PP, they only offer Track Day Spec, which is even more aggressive.

moarhorsepower

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mustang GT, Golf R
I had them (Z26) previously on my S550 Mustang. Honestly even with everyone recommending them like crazy - i pretty much hated them. They are extremely soft/spongy feeling and don't inspire much confidence. The only good thing I can say about them is that the brake dust was minimal.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I had them (Z26) previously on my S550 Mustang. Honestly even with everyone recommending them like crazy - i pretty much hated them. They are extremely soft/spongy feeling and don't inspire much confidence. The only good thing I can say about them is that the brake dust was minimal.

They do give a soft feel, but I was able to resolve that by reducing brake assistance.

moarhorsepower

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mustang GT, Golf R
I'm using the z26 in front, stock pads in the rear for daily and autocross. They Are quiet unless it's cold out and with as many as 4 people autocrossing the car in a single day in FL heat, no fade.

I'm planning on adding the z23 in the rear and swapping to the Track Day pad for track, but I'm using Macan front calipers. For PP, they only offer Track Day Spec, which is even more aggressive.

The Z26 pads are NOT meant for autocross at all though. They will overheat/fade quickly. They are a street pad and I'd look at something a bit better.
They do give a soft feel, but I was able to resolve that by reducing brake assistance.

Not something I was able to do in the Mustang but see my comment above about your planned use case.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The Z26 pads are NOT meant for autocross at all though. They will overheat/fade quickly. They are a street pad and I'd look at something a bit better.

Did you autocross on them? I've had as many as 4 competitive drivers (one of them was picked up for a TCA seat this year), doing 6 runs each in my car at an event with temps in the 90's with no fade with both the stock pads and the z26 pads, so I'm wondering what data point your using to make that claim?

moarhorsepower

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mustang GT, Golf R
Did you autocross on them? I've had as many as 4 competitive drivers (one of them was picked up for a TCA seat this year), doing 6 runs each in my car at an event with temps in the 90's with no fade with both the stock pads and the z26 pads, so I'm wondering what data point your using to make that claim?

I personally didn't. But PowerStop themselves doesn't state these as a track capable pad (they have another product specifically for that).

https://www.powerstop.com/product/psa/#y=2017&mk=VOLKSWAGEN&mo=GOLF R

Again, my experience with these is with a Mustang GT in street driving with the Z26's and the 6 piston calipers. A lot more weight on the front end comparatively to the Golf so that may make enough of a difference. But I also would never track a ceramic pad in any car as most ceramic pads can't handle the temperature and repetitive high load on them. Better off sticking to separate pads for street and for track. Stock pads aren't ceramic based btw where these are - so I'd expect the stock pads to hold up better to track usage anyhow.

GTI-CAL

Passed Driver's Ed
i tried powerstops but they knock between forward and reverse. I returned them and went with stoptech. Perfect fitment.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I personally didn't. But PowerStop themselves doesn't state these as a track capable pad (they have another product specifically for that).

https://www.powerstop.com/product/psa/#y=2017&mk=VOLKSWAGEN&mo=GOLF R

Again, my experience with these is with a Mustang GT in street driving with the Z26's and the 6 piston calipers. A lot more weight on the front end comparatively to the Golf so that may make enough of a difference. But I also would never track a ceramic pad in any car as most ceramic pads can't handle the temperature and repetitive high load on them. Better off sticking to separate pads for street and for track. Stock pads aren't ceramic based btw where these are - so I'd expect the stock pads to hold up better to track usage anyhow.

Good think I'm not trackimg the z26 and using them for autocross/street and andI have their track day compound for track, which I already clearly stated.

The z23 on the rear is fine, even for tracking though.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
i tried powerstops but they knock between forward and reverse. I returned them and went with stoptech. Perfect fitment.

I'm using Brembos in the front and their pads in that fitment for have any issues. I haven't used them on the PP fronts or non-PP fronts.

moarhorsepower

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mustang GT, Golf R
Good think I'm not trackimg the z26 and using them for autocross/street and andI have their track day compound for track, which I already clearly stated.

The z23 on the rear is fine, even for tracking though.

Your earlier posts...

Want to restate that? Maybe get your story straight here? Even if you stated it wrong, I'm still just telling you my experience with the Z26 pads and how they were nowhere near as confidence inspiring to me as others and that maybe look at an alternative especially for autocross/competitive driving events.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Your earlier posts...

Want to restate that? Maybe get your story straight here? Even if you stated it wrong, I'm still just telling you my experience with the Z26 pads and how they were nowhere near as confidence inspiring to me as others and that maybe look at an alternative especially for autocross/competitive driving events.

Uh, both those posts are talking about z26 use while daily/autocrossing the car. There are better pads than the z26, I'm just giving my experience with them in a mk7, not another brand and type of car. I chose them because I'm trying to keep consumable costs down doing a both autocross and track days. I got both the z26 and the Track Day, which I use on track, for $200 combined. They're a fantastic value, even if they aren't the best pad out there. I've been able to solve the feel issue with OBD11. You're welcome to use any pad you want and have any opinion you want, but don't tell me what my opinion is or misrepresent what I've said as somehow contradictory.

I'm done with this conversation.

Last edited:

moarhorsepower

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mustang GT, Golf R
Anyone here ever use the Power Stop brake pads? Specifically the Z23/Z26 brake pads for daily use front and rear (both use the same compound).

I'm looking for pads in my Golf R stock brakes (GTI w/PP).

So GolfRRRR1, with Florida Man losing it above, lets try to get back to the question you asked. If you're looking for JUST street use and reduced brake dust...you'll probably be fine but I'd at least stick to the Z26. Again, my personal experience with them aren't the best but plenty of people who like them. To each their own.

From personal experience, I've never had an issue with Hawk pads. I've been wanting to try out the G-Loc street compound but never gotten around to it. Lots of good info on that brand and compounds across multiple forums/cars/people.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So GolfRRRR1, with Florida Man losing it above, lets try to get back to the question you asked. If you're looking for JUST street use and reduced brake dust...you'll probably be fine but I'd at least stick to the Z26. Again, my personal experience with them aren't the best but plenty of people who like them. To each their own.

From personal experience, I've never had an issue with Hawk pads. I've been wanting to try out the G-Loc street compound but never gotten around to it. Lots of good info on that brand and compounds across multiple forums/cars/people.

I'm from California.

Doesn't change the fact you misunderstood what I said and acted like a jerk.

I've used many Hawk pads over the years, HP+ and track compounds mostly. I'm not sure about their street pads, but I did run HP+ on several street/ track cars. Great pad, hard on rotors, and you better be religious about cleaning your wheels. The dust from them is highly corrosive and damaging to the paint.

I chose to swap between stoptechs z26 and track day pads due to cost and the good reviews I've read for the track day pad in the Corvette and Lotus communities. I will tell you that the z26 stands up to heavy autocross use, with multiple competitive drivers in high heat, with no fade. Your fade was likely caused by old brake fluid, not the pad. In fact, the z26 resisted fade with rotor temps high enough to melt the center caps.

So save the personal attacks and stick to talking about your experience with the pads, even if it's on a completely different car.

Last edited:

moarhorsepower

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mustang GT, Golf R
I'm from California.

Doesn't change the fact you misunderstood what I said and acted like a jerk.

It was a joke - and based on the location you have in your profile. Relax chief.

I've used many Hawk pads over the years, HP+ and track compounds mostly. I'm not sure about their street pads, but I did run HP+ on several street/ track cars. Great pad, hard on rotors, and you better be religious about cleaning your wheels. The dust from them is highly corrosive and damaging to the paint.

I chose to swap between stoptechs z26 and track day pads due to cost and the good reviews I've read for the track day pad in the Corvette and Lotus communities. I will tell you that the z26 stands up to heavy autocross use, with multiple competitive drivers in high heat, with no fade. Your fade was likely caused by old brake fluid, not the pad. In fact, the z26 resisted fade with rotor temps high enough to melt the center caps.

When I swapped the Z26's on, I also did new rotors and fluid. So no it wasn't that. Bedded in fully as per Powerstop directions as well. Once I spoke with some local people who did the same brake swap (instead of just listening to the forum people) - they had similar experiences as well. It was a bad enough experience to go back to stock pads (which are VERY good in terms of brake feel, fade, etc. but terrible on dust) for others as well. I can agree with the HP+ in terms of performance and dust. Great performance, not great on dust. I do take care of washing the car/wheels pretty quickly so it was never an issue for me in terms of affecting paint/finish.