GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG DMF Failure and Replacement

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
I don't doubt it's something I can live with for a little bit, but I've read about catastrophic flywheel failures that damage adjacent clutches. I definitely don't want it to come to that.

You say 30k miles -- when did it start?
After I installed a dogbone insert around 7k is when I noticed it first. I also installed JB4 same time so I was super alert to anything with these first mods. Scoured the internet and felt confident enough that the DSG just makes noises at low speeds. I can hear ALL the mechanical noises it makes now much clearer with the mounts. Drives normal and it isn’t any worse than it was back then. I’m at 36k miles now with a TCU tune since 31k. Mounts at 30k.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Again, I found that engagement of the clutch before fully releasing the brakes or applying throttle makes it much smoother overall. Drive and Reverse.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
After I installed a dogbone insert around 7k is when I noticed it first. I also installed JB4 same time so I was super alert to anything with these first mods. Scoured the internet and felt confident enough that the DSG just makes noises at low speeds. I can hear ALL the mechanical noises it makes now much clearer with the mounts. Drives normal and it isn’t any worse than it was back then. I’m at 36k miles now with a TCU tune since 31k. Mounts at 30k.

Yeah, I've been hearing the typical DSG clunking for forever. The shift sounds are perfectly normal.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
I’m interested to hear if they determine anything is up with yours.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Yeah, I've been hearing the typical DSG clunking for forever. The shift sounds are perfectly normal.
I don’t have any noises outside of engaging reverse and leaving from a stop in D1. Apart from downshifts 2-1

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I never heard any sounds from the DSG until I had the SuperPro mounts installed. Now I can hear mechanical sounds only when I almost come to a stop and when I release the brake. I do have a panel vibrating on the driver side that I can hear especially when I'm near a wall.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Have you tried the way I described of easing the brake off until the DSG engages then fully releasing?

Not on purpose but I did have a bad habit where I wasn't pushing on the brake pedal hard enough so the clutch was starting to engage. I finally broke the habit though.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Yea basically that, but I only do it when I anticipate accelerating. I won’t hold it through an entire traffic light cycle, for example.

805mk7gti

Ready to race!
This was something I posted a couple years ago on the Mk7 FB group. I ended up buying a junkyard DSG with like 100 miles on it. Then when the shop pulled the DSG out to swap in new DSG he said my DMF had way more play then normal. So I replaced that as well. DSG has been fine ever since.

So unfortunately I think my DSG is crapping out. About a week ago when coming to a stop sign my car stalled. I restarted the car, put it in drive and the engine just free rev'd and you could hear audible ticking sound coming from the transmission. So I recycled the ignition off and on and was able to limp home.

Drove to work the next day and everything was running ok. Did a WOT, no issues. Then a few moments afterwards just cruising at 55 and same free rev and ticking coming from trans. Only did that the one time but was able to make my 100 mile commute to work and back.

I babied the car the next few days and it ran ok. I was just about due for my second DSG service, car has 75k miles so I changed the fluid and filter.

Then yesterday I tried going just down the street to the store and barely got 1000 ft from my house before the problems all started happening again. This time I got a cel and flashing engine light. Car stalled a few times then went back to normal.

Does that sound like a failed mechatronic? The codes from the TCU I pulled before doing the dsg service, not sure how long they had been stored or if they even have to due with my issues. The second set of codes are from yesterday when the car stalled twice while idling.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
This was something I posted a couple years ago on the Mk7 FB group. I ended up buying a junkyard DSG with like 100 miles on it. Then when the shop pulled the DSG out to swap in new DSG he said my DMF had way more play then normal. So I replaced that as well. DSG has been fine ever since.

So unfortunately I think my DSG is crapping out. About a week ago when coming to a stop sign my car stalled. I restarted the car, put it in drive and the engine just free rev'd and you could hear audible ticking sound coming from the transmission. So I recycled the ignition off and on and was able to limp home.

Drove to work the next day and everything was running ok. Did a WOT, no issues. Then a few moments afterwards just cruising at 55 and same free rev and ticking coming from trans. Only did that the one time but was able to make my 100 mile commute to work and back.

I babied the car the next few days and it ran ok. I was just about due for my second DSG service, car has 75k miles so I changed the fluid and filter.

Then yesterday I tried going just down the street to the store and barely got 1000 ft from my house before the problems all started happening again. This time I got a cel and flashing engine light. Car stalled a few times then went back to normal.

Does that sound like a failed mechatronic? The codes from the TCU I pulled before doing the dsg service, not sure how long they had been stored or if they even have to due with my issues. The second set of codes are from yesterday when the car stalled twice while idling.

Did it turn out to be the mechatronic unit?