GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What's a logical amount of money to spend modding?

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Quite a while ago I dug myself a financial hole between paying for track events, autocrosses, car modifications, and the four sets of tires a year I was burning through. As a result, I had to take an extended break from the fun to get out of the hole and get ahead.

For me the answer to this question is... what amount am I willing to burn for a hobby? I’m also retired and financially secure, so the equation is a little different for me.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I did some quick math and if I put $10k of mods into a car and keep it for 6 years that's only $35 a week or $140 a month. If you look at it like that it's not too crazy for a hobby and for something you use every day.

If you're doing this to a new car every couple of years I'd say that's a bit different though.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
what’s great about VW’s in general is their tune-ability, and the amount of value you can unlock from adding 5-10K worth of mods. You get much more than 5-10K worth of “car” out of your investment, when compared to something like an Audi S3 that’s essentially just a 2X-priced golf with less utility.

You can take a mass-market economy car, and turn it into a luxury performance car that can compete with Audi’s, BMWs, etc double the price.

So when you view it that way, OEM pricing begins to get dubious past 40K.

Just buy a cheaper car and get the same thing with some mods for 25-40% less.

You can take a mass market economy car and perhaps approach the performance of cars double the price but certainly not the luxury.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
If it don't cost money...its not a hobby. I've got ~10k in my two mountain bikes. My road bike was 4k...plus another 1500 for the wheels. Bikes also depreciate like mad. I also collect toys. Of all the things I go buy or collect...toys and guns depreciate the least. Toys either go up in value...or I can usually sell them for what I paid.

I pay cash for all my stuff. If I can't pay cash...I won't buy it. I'll buy something on credit once a year on one of those no interest type deals.

It comes down to how much you enjoy what you are doing. If it makes you happy...you can't really put a price on that...unless its impacting you financially...then you may want to rethink your hobbies😁 .

Last edited:

mac340

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
If it don't cost money...its not a hobby. I've got ~10k in my two mountain bikes. My road bike was 4k...plus another 1500 for the wheels. Bikes also depreciate like mad. I also collect toys. Of all the things I go buy or collect...toys and guns depreciate the least. Toys either go up in value...or I can usually sell them for what I paid.

I pay cash for all my stuff. If I can't pay cash...I won't buy it. I'll buy something on credit once a year on one of those no interest type deals.

It comes down to how much you enjoy what you are doing. If it makes you happy...you can't really put a price on that...unless its impacting you financially...then you may want to rethink your hobbies😁 .
I hope if you have the cash you at least pay for the mods with a CC then pay it off and get flyer miles or whatever lol. So far since March I have 5000 rewards points in my GTI :D

mac340

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
Don't think anyone wants or should be flying at this point in time lol
guess I will just have to buy more mods and save up for the future (y)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The point of the post is what's logical to spend on your car. That will vary with every individual and their budget and desires. There is no amount of money to spend on your car that would be logically the same to every person. Sure the point of owning a car is to get from point A to point B but I want to get from point A to point B as fast as I can. And what's logical to me to spend is determined by my budget versus how fast I want to get from point A to point B.

You're confusing logic with desire and passion. Sorry, that's just the truth.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If you're doing this to a new car every couple of years I'd say that's a bit different though.

Guilty. I've owned and modded 30 cars. It's not as expensive as a crack addiction, but it's close.

Trying to keep this one for next 10 years. I'm getting close to wanting to retire.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I hope if you have the cash you at least pay for the mods with a CC then pay it off and get flyer miles or whatever lol. So far since March I have 5000 rewards points in my GTI :D

Just a joke but I hear Dave Ramsey say all the time that he hasn't met a millionaire who earned his fortune with CC flyer miles.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
What I'm really saying is there is no amount of money that's logical to spend modding your car.

That's literally what I said and you argued with me. Lol. We 100% agree. We do this because we like cars, not because it's logical. Logical would have been taking all the money I've spent on cars over the last 35 years and investing it. I could have retired before I hit 50.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That's literally what I said and you argued with me. Lol. We 100% agree. We do this because we like cars, not because it's logical. Logical would have been taking all the money I've spent on cars over the last 35 years and investing it. I could have retired before I hit 50.

Same here but it wouldn't have been as much fun.

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
Well, I ended up finding a used APR downpipe for $450.

So logical or not, stage 2 here I come. Im going to get a Unitronic intercooler as well since they are on sale right now and I track my car