GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG DMF Failure and Replacement

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Has anyone here had their DMF replaced? What were the failure symptoms? Did you replace with another DMF or did you go single mass? How much did it cost you?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I didn't know that you could replace it. I thought that any DSG problems required a new DSG since nobody rebuilds them. What are you experiencing to ask that?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I didn't know that you could replace it. I thought that any DSG problems required a new DSG since nobody rebuilds them. What are you experiencing to ask that?

You can replace the flywheel without getting a new trans. The VW engine service manual documents the procedure for removing and installing a flywheel.

I have a metallic rattle (like a coin in a dryer) on a cold engine when taking off in 1st and 2nd when giving light throttle. The instant I rev to higher RPMs, sound's gone. Don't hear it at any other time. Taking it to a shop tomorrow to diagnose (not a lot they can do -- will just have to listen).

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You can replace the flywheel without getting a new trans. The VW engine service manual documents the procedure for removing and installing a flywheel.

I have a metallic rattle (like a coin in a dryer) on a cold engine when taking off in 1st and 2nd when giving light throttle. The instant I rev to higher RPMs, sound's gone. Don't hear it at any other time. Taking it to a shop tomorrow to diagnose (not a lot they can do -- will just have to listen).

Thanks. Learn something new everyday in the forum.

Agray

Go Kart Champion
Got a video clip of the sound? I have something similar but only hear it in first gear when the trans is cold. Once it’s warm it goes away. In fact, haven’t heard it since a while since the weather has warmed up.. Any codes?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Got a video clip of the sound? I have something similar but only hear it in first gear when the trans is cold. Once it’s warm it goes away. In fact, haven’t heard it since a while since the weather has warmed up.. Any codes?

No codes. Car pulls fine at WOT, gears engage (I drive exclusively in manual mode). No video clip. Maybe will get it tomorrow. The sound is something between the balls in a ball bearing bouncing around a tin can and a heat shield vibrating.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
I am thinking that this is the nature of the beast after being concerned for 30k miles and everything is still functioning well, lol. More so pronounced with BFI Stg2 mounts.
When I engage Reverse is when I hear it most. For my car, if I lift off brake only
enough to allow the clutch to engage before fully releasing the brakes, will it then sound much less rattly.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I am thinking that this is the nature of the beast after being concerned for 30k miles and everything is still functioning well, lol. More so pronounced with BFI Stg2 mounts.
When I engage Reverse is when I hear it most. For my car, if I lift off brake only
enough to allow the clutch to engage before fully releasing the brakes, will it then sound much less rattly.

I don't doubt it's something I can live with for a little bit, but I've read about catastrophic flywheel failures that damage adjacent clutches. I definitely don't want it to come to that.

You say 30k miles -- when did it start?

drrck

Go Kart Champion
DMF failure in DSGs are not common that I've seen in MK7. In prior generations it would get so bad that the shifter would vibrate back and forth. Most DSGs make that ringing noise in my experience, and I wouldn't worry too much about it.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
DMF failure in DSGs are not common that I've seen in MK7. In prior generations it would get so bad that the shifter would vibrate back and forth. Most DSGs make that ringing noise in my experience, and I wouldn't worry too much about it.

My car has been fine save for a leaking thermostat/water pump. *knock on wood* I would be surprised if absolutely nothing would go bad at my mileage.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Moreover, DSG clutchpacks can also be replaced. I think complete DSG replacement is necessary when the gears themselves are gone.

Do you know of a place that replaces the clutches and the cost?