GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

chuncomunco

Passed Driver's Ed
Looking to fit the OEM Skid plate (5Q0 825 902C) to my 2018 MK7.5 GTI DSG as well, my only slight worry is that covering the oil pan (sump) up (whilst protecting it) will increase oil temperatures as the sump won't be getting the air flow over it sas below.

For anyone that's fitted this, can they comment if it made any difference ot the oil temps please ? It does make me wonder if that's part of the reason why VW only installed a short one on the performance Golfs was to give the oil pan (sump) a direct air flow to keep temperatures down ?

If you're willing to get a tune, the tune itself can lower oil temps too. Personally, i've got the full cover, diesel version (sound dampening on engine side) with vents and unitronic stage 1+ and it's kept my oil temps below 220F on the hottest days driving normally. Before the tune i'm usually hovering around 228F.

Group N

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I`ve just read all 42 pages - and still confused regarding part numbers.

Can someone confirm the part number for skid tray / engine under tray please.

I`m hoping to protect the sump and hopefully get some sound reduction too.

2016 Mk7 Golf R.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I`ve just read all 42 pages - and still confused regarding part numbers.

Can someone confirm the part number for skid tray / engine under tray please.

I`m hoping to protect the sump and hopefully get some sound reduction too.

2016 Mk7 Golf R.

All the correct info is by me in the first page or two....

second post has this:-

SKID TRAY VW parts list & approx costs in UK £
Item No. 23:- 5Q0 825 902C,
Underrun bar with one duct (Skid tray), £195.73***
Item No. 23:- 5Q0 825 902B, Underrun bar with NO ducts (Skid tray), DO NOT GET as NO air ducts
Item No. 24:- 909 747 01, Black wide head T-star screw A04B, £0.16 (x7)
Item No. 25:- 019 530 7, Flange hex head bolt (M8x25mm), £0.93 (x7)
Item No. 26:- 5Q0 825 921, Retaining bracket, £6.98***
Item No. 26:- 5Q0 825 922, Retaining bracket, £6.98***
Item No. 27:- 907 559 02, Spline head bolt with washer, £1.14 (x2)***
***=Only these items required from the dealers in my project!***

For NAR (USA, Canada, Mexico, etc) Forum member "ADVNTURR" has found that the following parts are easier to order in NAR & do fit as he posts in this thread here:-Click here

Item No. 23:- 3Q0 825 902,
Underrun bar (Skid tray), $282.48***
3Q0 825 902 B (now) with one duct as per mine)
Item No. 27:- N 0195 307, Hex head bolt , $ (x2)***(easier to fit this bolt in tight space but the one above is the correct VW one)

I have confirmed with the VW ETKA & these parts are correct for NAR MK7 Golf, & the tray is from a new Passat hence the "3Q0" start to the part number. The Passat is also an MQB platform car so will share many parts & dimensions.

I didn't buy the VW M8x25mm bolts as I bought special flanged head A4 stainless steel ones

Undutched

Car(s)
Seat Leon Cupra R ST
@golfdave

I have read both your thread and the information here. My question is about the rear parts on a 4Drive Wagon (Cupra R ST). I am assuming that none of the rear parts work, and neither the longer skidplate (where the bar is and in my case also the OPF). Nonetheless I wanted to make, if I can add anything to aerodynamic efficiency for my daily Autobahn travels.

Can anyone confirm the part number on the part below? After so many threads and searches online, I have lost the part number and whether it fits :/

Attachments

• IMG_1256.jpg
    IMG_1256.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 230
  • utool_f_1301082151_14.jpg
    utool_f_1301082151_14.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 293

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
@golfdave

I have read both your thread and the information here. My question is about the rear parts on a 4Drive Wagon (Cupra R ST). I am assuming that none of the rear parts work, and neither the longer skidplate (where the bar is and in my case also the OPF). Nonetheless I wanted to make, if I can add anything to aerodynamic efficiency for my daily Autobahn travels.

Can anyone confirm the part number on the part below? After so many threads and searches online, I have lost the part number and whether it fits :/

Your car is MBQ MK7 Golf platform, so the same applies.

None of the rear stuff will work due to the Haldex diff unit.

The picture of the item you have is MK6 & the position & where it joins the wheel arches is wrong for MQB platform cars so it won't fit your car.

The first page of posts in this thread list all the different skid trays & thin plastic aero trays with parts numbers...don't know why you are looking at a MK6 aero tray??

Last edited:

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
Hi, very interested topic – thanks for sharing ideas and experience! I took inspiration for long boring home offices during the virus period and fitted several additional covers for my MK7.5 Variant 1.4TSI, like the longer one for engine (vent holes are mandatory for bigger gasoline engines, according to manufacturer – but what is „bigger“?), central exhaust cover and the one on rear axle from Passat bluemotion.

5Q0825236Q Note that relatively solid aftermarket Van Wezel 5766702 is less than half a price and is more flexible than the original one implying that it could survive hit on bumpy road a bit better but insulation is of course weaker. Fit to chassis is fine

3C0501713A

5Q0825229C

Zero effect on comfort and drive feel but I’m not disappointed as it will likely provide some additional protection against rust and will help to keep the engine clean. I noticed a small effect on oil temperature, let’s say few °C up versus stock setup but I haven’t paid much attention to it.

That said, I won’t fit any other covers as it’s waste of time and funds, in my humble opinion.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
fitted several additional covers for my MK7.5 Variant 1.4TSI, like the longer one for engine (vent holes are mandatory for bigger gasoline engines, according to manufacturer – but what is „bigger“?), central exhaust cover and the one on rear axle from Passat bluemotion.

That said, I won’t fit any other covers as it’s waste of time and funds, in my humble opinion.

So you didn't fit the one for the rear exhaust tunnel part number 5Q0-825-206-K (for multilink)..or 5G0-825-206-J (for twist beam)...these cover a large area & do improve the aero flow...

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
Not yet, as it was much more expensive compared to the center exhaust piece or aftermarket engine cover. Pre-owned are not available in my country and for Variant (Sportwagen, Combi or how you call then outside of the continent), the number ending K must be fitted as J index looks to short.

Also, there is one last cover, solely for variant (in case of Škoda Octavia also for saloon) labeled as 5G9825205E. It basically cover the end of the exhaust system so it is on the left-end side. Interestingly, there is factory fitted comparable cover on right-end side 5G9825205F.
zakrytování podvozku.jpg

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Also, there is one last cover, solely for variant (in case of Škoda Octavia also for saloon) labeled as 5G9825205E. It basically cover the end of the exhaust system so it is on the left-end side. Interestingly, there is factory fitted comparable cover on right-end side 5G9825205F.View attachment 177606

I have covered this before...

The Octavia has the exhaust back box in a different area so that cover will NOT fit our car as our exhaust back box hangs down & is in the way.

The other "blanking cover" on the opposite side is already there from the factory on our cars..if you don't have it you are missing a trim part...

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
Yep, I can see it now – sorry for repeating!

I have the right-end cover. I was just wondering why they fit only on one side. Etka says that the left side one should fit also but price near EUR 50 seems pretty high bearing in mind that it only isolate trunk area which is all the time full of kids/farmers stuff in my case so noise is coming from the inside and I doubt any reasonable improvement in handling and/or fuel efficiency. So I won’t give it a chance neither.

The only clear consequence of the work under the car is the fact that oil change is a bit more complicated and perhaps also more expensive as those bigger nuts holding the longer sub-engine cover should be changed each time when removed, according to the workshop manual.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The only clear consequence of the work under the car is the fact that oil change is a bit more complicated and perhaps also more expensive as those bigger nuts holding the longer sub-engine cover should be changed each time when removed, according to the workshop manual.

All VAG cars now have "replace every time nuts" holding the undertrays on...only reason is because they have blue medium strength Loctite applied to them...so just clean & apply the same stuff to your old ones..

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
Sure, no intention to change them but explain it to authorized service where one must go due to warranty

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Sure, no intention to change them but explain it to authorized service where one must go due to warranty

VW UK ran out of those bolts late last year..so loads of cars in for service had to sit on the dealers compound as the work could not be completed & customers using loads of dealer courtesy cars..

....VW Germany ran out of free stock of the bolts as all used for the factories.....so they issued a tech notice & instructed the mechanics at the dealers to clean the bolts & apply blue medium strength Loctite until they had free stock of the bolts....

I got that direct from my head parts & head mechanci at my local VW place which I know very well!