GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMS VW GTI JB4 info thread

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Hi all.
My 2015 gti definitely has a wastegate issue. With 108k miles it probably makes sense to replace the entire turbo. I have a JB4 and apr downpipe so I’m considering an IS38, seems like it will be the same price. Can the JB4 properly tune an IS38. Not concerned about that last hp just want to run reliably with no engine codes. Thanks in advance.
yes it can. I’m using a hybrid Is38 with it.

digimotors

Hi all. Finalizing my turbo replacement decision on my 2015 GTI, ie IS20 vs IS38.
I have the JB4, APR downpipe modified intake and stock intercooler , not planning additional mods. Curious about opinions on staying with the 20 vs the 38.

echelonphoto

Ready to race!
So I am a new jb4 owner as of today. Have a 17 gti se with dsg. I really research all the threads on installation ,but still had some mishaps, so I will share in hopes that no one else will make the mistakes I did. One....plug D is not nearly as hard as people say once you understand how it unclips...you can try squeezing with your thumb until you turn blue...it will make no difference. I practiced on the jb4 harness first to see how this really unlocks, and yes, putting a small screwdriver into the slot where the release is and pull down VERY gently until you hear the click...it will be obvious and requires very little force., so no problem getting the stock harness apart. I got everything hooked up and double checked and then tried to start the car with eager anticipation. the dash lit up like everyone says, but my car would not start! Yikes, I thought, I must have gotten a bad jb4, rotten luck. I went over all the connections to make sure they were tight . The top two checked out, but the infamous plug.D...I had hooked it up wrong. What I did was I connected the stock plug to the stock location again and wound up connecting the jb4 plugs to each other....DUMb, yes, but don't be too hard on me. Luckily, I had not reattached the undertrim, so it was an easy fix, and , this time, the car started right up. So I drove around for a while and it felt OK, but not terrifically faster than before. I then connected my phone to the JB4 app, which connected right away, but I was only seeing boost, no rpm, fuel ratio etc. Now my version of the jb4 wireless unit did not come with an extra red power wire hanging out...just the computer plug, so I thought maybe that was the problem...no! They must have revised this and failed to change their install site. Here is what happened and what you should watch for, since Burger does not really give very explicit directions. The wire that plugs into your obd port has a small black plug that attaches to the pigtail on the jb4 unit. It is quite possible to plug it in the 4 different ways until you realize there is one side on the pigtail that has a little bump for the securing clip. I had it in the wrong way, but, believe me, it is not hard to do...so carefully inspect the ends before you attach. I think burger should mark this better or use a shaped plug that only goes in one way...but hey...I finally got i right and THE CAR DOES FEEL FASTER NOW! Now to have fun...I already put in premium (2:00 a gallon here) and anticipate trying out map 2 very shortly.

oombop

Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Any input would be much appreciated. I have a 2016 GTI and I’m having issues with my JB4 that I just installed. First I’m throwing 3 codes 432A, 539E, and 0000. My car takes a couple seconds to crank over now, MPG has plummeted I averaged around 14 MPG around town with light throttle inputs. The car also feels like it’s lost power and the transmission feels sluggish to shift. I’ve tried reconnecting everything and have the car set to map1. I’ve also tried map 0 but it’s the same issues.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Any input would be much appreciated. I have a 2016 GTI and I’m having issues with my JB4 that I just installed. First I’m throwing 3 codes 432A, 539E, and 0000. My car takes a couple seconds to crank over now, MPG has plummeted I averaged around 14 MPG around town with light throttle inputs. The car also feels like it’s lost power and the transmission feels sluggish to shift. I’ve tried reconnecting everything and have the car set to map1. I’ve also tried map 0 but it’s the same issues.
Post a log to datazap.

oombop

Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Post a log to datazap.
So I was able to solve all the problems. I rest everything back to stock on the JB4 but then I got a 3A11 code. I looked it up and it’s a camshaft position sensor code. I looked for solutions and saw to unplug plug A so I did that. I now have no codes and it starts up normal again and runs smooth. Is it ok to have plug A unplugged and the stock plug plugged back in as a permanent solution?

SaucyMuffin

Go Kart Newbie
Honest question. Stack a Unitronic Stage 2 FBO with JB4 or just scrap and go with EQT Stage 2? I figure the cost of a JB4 with Bluetooth is close to an Accessport. I know this is a JB post, but wanted some honest opinions. Unitronic Stage 2 just feels flat, it’s nice, but not what I was looking for long term. I heard beforehand that it was sort of OEM+, but when I purchased, the Accessport individual tunes were in their infancy.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
So I was able to solve all the problems. I rest everything back to stock on the JB4 but then I got a 3A11 code. I looked it up and it’s a camshaft position sensor code. I looked for solutions and saw to unplug plug A so I did that. I now have no codes and it starts up normal again and runs smooth. Is it ok to have plug A unplugged and the stock plug plugged back in as a permanent solution?
yes it is no longer used

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Honest question. Stack a Unitronic Stage 2 FBO with JB4 or just scrap and go with EQT Stage 2? I figure the cost of a JB4 with Bluetooth is close to an Accessport. I know this is a JB post, but wanted some honest opinions. Unitronic Stage 2 just feels flat, it’s nice, but not what I was looking for long term. I heard beforehand that it was sort of OEM+, but when I purchased, the Accessport individual tunes were in their infancy.

Depends on what you want to do down the road. Happy with stacking and don't plan any other mods? Stick with that. Want to have more flexibility with tuning, especially with bigger turbo, fueling, TCU if DSG etc.? AP is the way to go. I had JB4 and FBO. Loved it. Bit the bullet and went EQT stg 2 and TCU tune. Holy shit, was an entirely different car. Do it and you'll have fond memories of the JB4, but you will never look back.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
like to hear more about this , I have code 431a also, running 93 with 2 gallons e85 per tank, map 2 2017 se dsg car.

First code is for O2 sensor and is a lean condition due to E. Downpipe? Second is low rail pressure (I believe) also due to ethanol not providing sufficient fuel density. What is your FOL setting?