GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LIGHTWEIGHT Wheels

nype

Drag Racing Champion

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Enkei Raijin 8X8 offset 45 vs 8X8.5 offset 42. Which would you go with and why? Will the 8.5 wide wheels handle worse?
I'd probably go with an 18" wheel. :)

From my wheel shopping notes (comparison to Austin wheels - 18x7.5 +49):

8” ET48 = 7mm past stock
8" ET45 = 10mm past stock
8" ET42 = 13.5mm past stock
8.5” ET48 = 14mm past stock
8” ET40 = 15mm past stock
8.5” ET47 = 15mm past stock
8.5" ET45 = 17mm past stock
8” ET35 = 20mm past stock
8.5” ET42 = 20mm past stock
8.5” ET38 = 24mm past stock

Another reason why I went with this size in FC04. I was obsessing about how flush they would sit. Wanted to mimic the fitment I had with the stock wheels and ECS flush kit spacers. So I have that now on the front, without spacers. Might add a thin spacer to the rears but looks pretty good as is. I will say that the slight stretch on the tires gives a bit of an illusion that they aren't poking as out as much. Ideally I would have needed new tires right now and would have gone 235 but not the case at the moment.

Last edited:

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I'd probably go with an 18" wheel. :)

From my wheel shopping notes (comparison to Austin wheels - 18x7.5 +49):

8” ET48 = 7mm past stock
8" ET45 = 10mm past stock
8" ET42 = 13.5mm past stock
8.5” ET48 = 14mm past stock
8” ET40 = 15mm past stock
8.5” ET47 = 15mm past stock
8.5" ET45 = 17mm past stock
8” ET35 = 20mm past stock
8.5” ET42 = 20mm past stock
8.5” ET38 = 24mm past stock

Another reason why I went with this size in FC04. I was obsessing about how flush they would sit. Wanted to mimic the fitment I had with the stock wheels and ECS flush kit spacers. So I have that now on the front, without spacers. Might add a thin spacer to the rears but looks pretty good as is. I will say that the slight stretch on the tires gives a bit of an illusion that they aren't poking as out as much. Ideally I would have needed new tires right now and would have gone 235 but not the case at the moment.

lol I'm surprised you were the first to catch my typo. I think I will be keeping the stock ride height and I don't really want to deal with spacers.

Last edited:

nype

Drag Racing Champion
lol I'm surprised you were the first to catch my typo. I think I will be keeping the stock ride height and I don't really want to deal with spacers.
Are you buying new tires or do you have tires already?

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Are you buying new tires or do you have tires already?

I have the AS3+ tires in 225/40 but they are too firm for me. I'm thinking about getting DWS06 in whatever is the appropriate size for the wheels I choose.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Anyone have any idea how the bronze 17" Motegi MR145 or Konig Hexaform will look on stock MK7.5 GTI in Dark Iron Blue? It probably won't clear Porsche Macan brakes if I ever decide to upgrade them. It'd be for daily use.

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Anyone have any idea how the bronze 17" Motegi MR145 or Konig Hexaform will look on stock MK7.5 GTI in Dark Iron Blue? It probably won't clear Porsche Macan brakes if I ever decide to upgrade them. It'd be for daily use.

I've been considering a set of 17x8 Hexaforms since I sold my RSE05s and want to change them up a bit with something similar. Konig said they are back ordered for the next couple months so I doubt anyone has them yet.. At least not on a MK7 GTI. But to answer your question, I think bronze would look good on a blue gti.

dnos

I've been considering a set of 17x8 Hexaforms since I sold my RSE05s and want to change them up a bit with something similar. Konig said they are back ordered for the next couple months so I doubt anyone has them yet.. At least not on a MK7 GTI. But to answer your question, I think bronze would look good on a blue gti.

I'm planning on getting the 18x8.5 et 43 Bronze Hexaforms and wrap them in 235/40 DWS06s for my lapis blue Golf R. Super happy I found those before buying some TE37s or ZE40s.

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Everyone here loves those DWS06s but I had a bad experience with them in my RSE05s... A weird vibration under accelerationt hat no shop could diagnose. Apparently some have higher speed (70+) vibration issues with those tires.. It's a known factory flaw with some batches. I think I'm going to try the A/S 3+ with my next setup.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Everyone here loves those DWS06s but I had a bad experience with them in my RSE05s... A weird vibration under accelerationt hat no shop could diagnose. Apparently some have higher speed (70+) vibration issues with those tires.. It's a known factory flaw with some batches. I think I'm going to try the A/S 3+ with my next setup.

That happened to me, I kept thinking the wheels were improperly balanced but it turned out to be the tires. Keep in mind the AS3+ are extremely firm so if you live in an area with crappy roads they may not be such a good idea.

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Keep in mind the AS3+ are extremely firm so if you live in an area with crappy roads they may not be such a good idea.

Thanks for the info. Got any recommendations for a good all season alternative? We don't get a ton of snow, so I don't want Blizzaks or anything extreme for my winter wheels. Just something that can handle an inch or two of we get it and performs well enough in freezing temps.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Thanks for the info. Got any recommendations for a good all season alternative? We don't get a ton of snow, so I don't want Blizzaks or anything extreme for my winter wheels. Just something that can handle an inch or two of we get it and performs well enough in freezing temps.

The Quatrac Pro is meant to be really good although Tire Rack classifies them as GT tires. Consumer Reports has them as Ultra High Performance All-seasons.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Vredestein&tireModel=Quatrac+Pro&partnum=24YR8QTPXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Volkswagen&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Golf GTI SE&autoModClar=

If you look at the recent reviews someone with Golf R seems very satisfied with them.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid

If you buy those tires I linked soon let me know what you think. I am debating between them and the PureContact LS.

Shmito_R

Go Kart Champion
Not exactly light weight but not heavy weight either...so middle weight?

HRE FF15

Now to get them mounted....

Attachments

• BB65920A-0AE2-4E4F-9FF5-FA80387C2D27.jpeg
    BB65920A-0AE2-4E4F-9FF5-FA80387C2D27.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 123
  • C49663EF-BB9B-43DB-909B-46A22403E08B.jpeg
    C49663EF-BB9B-43DB-909B-46A22403E08B.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 5FE31176-6383-4475-86C2-B9D6D53B6DE3.jpeg
    5FE31176-6383-4475-86C2-B9D6D53B6DE3.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 127