GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

emg

Hi
Which 3" DP with cat you recomend to connect with VP 17950 and Clubsport S muffler?

I prefer the silent version: D but to handle 450HP

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Hi
Which 3" DP with cat you recomend to connect with VP 17950 and Clubsport S muffler?

I prefer the silent version: D but to handle 450HP

You want a silent downpipe, but have a Clubsport muffler? :unsure:

emg

With a stock DP with a stock cat. + serial resonator + Clubsport S muffler, the sound was slightly louder than what I had at the factory exhaust. No drone or humming.

In the meantime I changed the resonator to 17950, the sound changed dramatically. It is much louder - sometimes too loud. I wonder if it is not questionable that before and after 17950 I have 2.5 inches and maybe that is why it does not perform its functions to the end - that's why it is loud.

Now I am looking for a 3" DP with with cat. that will not give the effect of a drone or humming but that I will consider changing the middle one to "quieter" if necessary. First choice was DP with cat from Leyo but meanwhile I see that lot of people use CTS DP with cat but I do not have any info regarding dron and loudness od this DP.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You would have to find someone with the same combination of components. Just changing one part can add or delete drone.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm ready to buy some new dp, resonator or muffler... But i need something more quiet than now :)...

Good luck finding what you want. When you install any aftermarket DP it's going to be louder. You're better off staying stock.

emg

Good luck finding what you want. When you install any aftermarket DP it's going to be louder. You're better off staying stock.
Maybe you didn't understand me correctly. I understand that it will be louder, but I cannot accept drones and buzz sounds and must be usable on the highway

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Maybe you didn't understand me correctly. I understand that it will be louder, but I cannot accept drones and buzz sounds and must be usable on the highway

There's a good chance that any aftermarket DP will add drone which can usually be fixed with a Vibrant resonator. You did say you preferred quiet. But it's tough for someone to answer unless they have the same muffler etc.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Stock catback is night and day quieter than CSS, CSS is on the loud end of the volume spectrum as it’s basically a OEM muffler delete (slightly less volume than a muffler delete).

CTS is Chinese/ebay garbage...just the most expensive of all the ebay/Chinese garbage available for these cars.

A good basic rule of thumb is whatever volume increase you saw with catback mods (regardless of what they are) the effects will be doubled when you add a downpipe. That’s why people end up running six different exhaust set ups because they over or undershoot their goals several times rather than spending the money once on what they actually want.

I can’t tell you how many hundreds of people ignore my recommendations and say “I’m just gonna run _________ until I get a ___________” and they end of with a stock pile of junk spending 2-3x more money in the long run.

For those new here I started out with a muffler delete way back in December 2015, then got a junk CTS downpipe for free I immediately cut up and fixed which lead to the development of the 17950 and eventually a wealth of knowledge pertaining to what works and what doesn’t on these cars. I’m not picking on people, I’m speaking from experience

Last edited:

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I have been running the Rev9 catback with a vibrant res and downpipe, and its been drone city. I have decided to buy a Borla S Type kit to swap in and see how it sounds. I see many people have good luck with a downpipe + magnaflow setup with a vibrant res, and the borla system doesnt seem that much different. I am hoping it gives me the volume I want without the severe drone I am currently getting.