GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R Clubsport build

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Roll cages in street driven cars are always problematic. In order to protect the driver, the plane of the main hoop needs to be not too far behind the seat, but that puts the puts the driver's head close to the main hoop's vertical element at the B-pillar. In a typical US design there's also a diagonal tube running from the driver's side top corner down to the main hoop's foot on the other side, and usually a horizontal harness bar that bisects that. Sometimes there's a similar diagonal tube from the other side as well. Once you allow for the surprisingly large amount of occupant movement in a crash, that leaves a fair bit of exposed tube that needs to be padded. Steel tube is hard, your head not so much.

And that swimming pool noodle soft padding stuff isn't worth crap. You need to use SFI 45.1 approved (or equivalent FIA) high density foam padding like this: https://www.rollbarpadding.com/products/cat-1 and think very carefully about where to apply it.

Similarly, race harnesses aren't very practical for use on the street. In my track car (E36 M3, street legal but only driven to the track), once I've tightened the 6-point harness I can't even reach far enough to close the door. You also can't turn your upper torso enough to look over your shoulder.

Neil

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
does anyone know 100% if the rear brace from the GTI Clubsport S was meant only to hold the net or is it truly meant for belts also?

i_2207_0_0_0_1479040256_1968.jpg

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
does anyone know 100% if the rear brace from the GTI Clubsport S was meant only to hold the net or is it truly meant for belts also?

View attachment 176027

Its just to hold the rear net to close off the "boot" area...its not even a proper structural "strut brace"....

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
NOTHING on OP’s car is practical for the street. I think that’s the point everyone is missing. This guy is completely impractical and irrational in his build, but whatever. You can’t argue/reason/etc with irrational people. Let me just reiterate for the 10th time that this is for a 100% street car! OP has stated car has not, and will not see a track! If he wants to build an unsafe/impractical street car, he’s allowed to. “Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.“

Obviously you don't know that several European car makers make road going "Clubsport" variants of their cars, factory fitted with roll cages, harnesses, lighter windscreens, carbon fibre bonnets etc...like Renault, Porsche, etc. as limited edition cars to sell at the dealers...

Personally I think the MK7 Golf CCS should have been fitted with the Wiechers half cage with harness bar & Schroth 4/6 point harness..just like the Nürburgring car..but also with the Audi TT-S ATE 4 pot calipers...

& now to really put a spanner in the works....

I have criticised the OP & the some of the pictures for connecting the harness top straps to the rear ISOFIX (Childseat) loops in the cars body. The reason for this is that the angle of the strap is too steep from the seat harness belt slot down to the anchor point & is AGAINST what the harness makers state (as posted by others).

Renault Megane R26
http://www.seriouswheels.com/2009/r-z-0-9/2009-Renault-Megane-R26-R-Roll-Cage-1920x1440.htm

However, Renault have anchored their harnesses in this exact way! The ONLY reason I can think they did this is because the ISOFIX loops are fully crash tested for road usage...the roll cage is not a road usage tested item (& would cost £££ to get it tested). So I recon they ignored the Race/track regs & connected the harness to those ISOFIX points to meet road test regs as a "work around".

However they subsequently dropped this in the next generation car..too much regulations me thinks..& Porsche sell a lot of the cars (eg 911 GT3 RS) which have the half cage, but without the harness, so you use the standard inertia real belt..

Personally either use the factory seat belts with the basic cage...or fit harness bars to the cage for the 4/5/6 point belts...& always use the correct padding to protect the head just in case..

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I have criticised the OP & the some of the pictures for connecting the harness top straps to the rear ISOFIX (Childseat) loops in the cars body. The reason for this is that the angle of the strap is too steep from the seat harness belt slot down to the anchor point & is AGAINST what the harness makers state (as posted by others).

Renault Megane R26
http://www.seriouswheels.com/2009/r-z-0-9/2009-Renault-Megane-R26-R-Roll-Cage-1920x1440.htm

However, Renault have anchored their harnesses in this exact way! The ONLY reason I can think they did this is because the ISOFIX loops are fully crash tested for road usage...

Isofix/LATCH anchors have weight limits, at least for kids seats, that are far below what you'd want for harness usage. The GTI has a weight limit of 65 lbs for seat+kid weight. I wouldn't trust that with a full grown adult, even for shoulder harness, at triple digit speeds.

RadioFlyer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GSX-Rs
.......& now to really put a spanner in the works....

The Schroth installation manual I saw show the tails attaching at the oem seat belt bolt location.
20200614_184740.jpg

I didn't see the child seat points listed.

Last edited:

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
Isofix/LATCH anchors have weight limits, at least for kids seats, that are far below what you'd want for harness usage. The GTI has a weight limit of 65 lbs for seat+kid weight. I wouldn't trust that with a full grown adult, even for shoulder harness, at triple digit speeds.
the rear strut bar is held in with 4 brackets that bolt using the seat belt studs not isofix
F862FC45-182E-483A-9CFE-789B459CF6CC.jpeg
09BE8937-92F6-4D0C-89FF-6918F1D944D8.jpeg
F2AB0A99-1B6B-428E-A967-393C7E845380.jpeg

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
the rear strut bar is held in with 4 brackets that bolt using the seat belt studs not isofix

I think he was in part referring to me speculating what Renault had fixed their multipoint belts to as you just see the belts disappear into the carpet trim in the picture I posted.

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
My comment will add no value, just letting everyone know now so you can read ahead a post. Just seeing that picture again triggered me as a former owner of a Cobalt SS Turbo.

This car is of particular annoyance to me, because at the time, the Cobalt SS Turbo held the FWD sport compact record around the ring. John Heinricy was the driver on that run. It did it without a cage or any aftermarket chassis stiffening, full weight interior and a bunch of data logging/camera gear (the run is on YouTube still).

It then lost its crown to this car by 6 seconds, which as you can see, was not really a super mass production piece in the same way.

Anyway, thanks for listening to me ramble.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
Those are sweet seats and should've come on the R's stock. VW didn't do enough to differentiate the R from the GTI especially for the cost difference. I wish they'd given the R's a set of Recaro's and the Macan front brake calipers...

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
I might be an outlier here, but I wish both seats had been totally manual like those too. My wife and I share the R, and ............ you know that poor electric seat isnt going to last forever. She is 5'2 and I am 6'0 ... so it gets moved quite a bit.

When it does crap out, I will likely retrofit in manual sliders on the drivers seat.