GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

Danny485

Car(s)
2015 Golf 1.8t
Holy cow!!! at those settings!! How the heck did it get like that??
No idea. Started going a bit screwy after firmware 8.5.1 was installed. Along with the random lumpy idle. Checked all the connectors all and all are plugged in correctly. I've been scouring through the forum threads to make sense of it.

In fact I vividly remember it doing it after I turned the 6 cylinder settings to 1. Tmap set itself automatically to 1 too.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
can someone help me understand the "max boost 1st, 2nd, 3rd" settings?

Example: Suppose I have a relative map 6 with 4 psi across the rpm range. I want 1st and 2nd gears to run at 4psi across the rpm range, I want 3rd gear to run 3 psi across the range.

What should I enter as values for "max boost 1st", "max boost 2nd", max boost 3rd?

Does max boost 3rd have any effect on 4th, 5th and 6th, or does the range go back to 4 psi for 4th 5th and 6th?

Do the max boost values have any effect on other maps such as maps 1 through 4?

thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200613-192405.png
    Screenshot_20200613-192405.png
    160.3 KB · Views: 82

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Imagine you can run more aggressive settings in 1st or 2nd than what works in higher gears. Some autocross courses never push the car above 3rd. Some courses never above 2nd.

Danny485

Car(s)
2015 Golf 1.8t
can someone help me understand the "max boost 1st, 2nd, 3rd" settings?

Example: Suppose I have a relative map 6 with 4 psi across the rpm range. I want 1st and 2nd gears to run at 4psi across the rpm range, I want 3rd gear to run 3 psi across the range.

What should I enter as values for "max boost 1st", "max boost 2nd", max boost 3rd?

Does max boost 3rd have any effect on 4th, 5th and 6th, or does the range go back to 4 psi for 4th 5th and 6th?

Do the max boost values have any effect on other maps such as maps 1 through 4?

thank you
Someone will probably correct me but I believe it only works in map 6. I used that setting for a while, basically boost by gear. I'd thought I'd have trouble with traction in first and second so I set it incrementally in first and second gear so you dont wheelspin as much when boost kicks in. Dont really need it in 3rd

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Helps with saving the clutch in lower gears as well.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
No idea. Started going a bit screwy after firmware 8.5.1 was installed. Along with the random lumpy idle. Checked all the connectors all and all are plugged in correctly. I've been scouring through the forum threads to make sense of it.

In fact I vividly remember it doing it after I turned the 6 cylinder settings to 1. Tmap set itself automatically to 1 too.
I'd make sure I had the right FW and reinstall it. Those #s are scary. I find 8.6 solid and smooth on my stock 1.8 so no idea why you're getting that. Maybe try using a laptop to re-install and load values. None of the connections should cause that. I'd be happy I had that extra fuel to go along with that extra boost to protect the motor but ya, both need a fix.

Last edited:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Those settings are for boost by gear for traction purposes. Normally you would set it so the boost is lower in 1st/2nd than it is in higher gears so you can run more power without worrying about low gear burnout fests. It wouldn't ever make sense to run higher boost in lower gears... I can't remember if those numbers are for absolute or additive, but I have it set to 0.1 in 1st gear personally, then zero in the rest of the gears for disable.

Danny485

Car(s)
2015 Golf 1.8t
I didnt bother using the boost by gear because I have the automatic and the traction control is quite intrusive anyway, even when I turn it off, the ESC is still active and cuts power/applies brakes.

Boost by gear does help clutch in lower gears but it's not really a substitute for a stronger clutch in my view.

100% correct FW. I even installed it again just to be sure. Ea888_8_5_1. Was contemplating trying the beta but 8.5.1 is stable version. I noticed the lumpy idle is less noticeable in map 2 but boring compared to map 6. Like difference between map 0 and map 2

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Boost by gear should also help with the intrusive traction control, because it'll have less reason to want to engage when you have less power down there. Also, there are VCDS tweaks to all but eliminate those traction control problems, extremely highly recomended.

Danny485

Car(s)
2015 Golf 1.8t
Boost by gear should also help with the intrusive traction control, because it'll have less reason to want to engage when you have less power down there. Also, there are VCDS tweaks to all but eliminate those traction control problems, extremely highly recomended.
I have VCDS, didn't realize I could tweak the traction control. Learn something new every day. I appreciate everyone's help and have obviously been reading most of your posts

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I have VCDS, didn't realize I could tweak the traction control. Learn something new every day. I appreciate everyone's help and have obviously been reading most of your posts

Search "starting vibration reduction", that is one of the important but unintuitive things to disable.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
pretend I do have a reason. what values do I enter in my example?
or give your example, with values.
telling me why my idea makes sense or not does not help me understand how to manipulate the settings to my liking.
thanks

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
It's entirely based on your own experience. If in a straight line you spin uncontrollably in 2nd gear, and even a bit in 3rd like me, then of course set 1st gear as low as it will go, and 2nd gear down a good amount. Closer to stock power you might only turn 1st gear down a little and disable boost by gear for the rest of the gears.