GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Beginner’s Guide / Tips for Buying a Street-Based Suspension

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
Hammersticks, really appreciate all the info you've put together and shared. Just have a question about the Neuspeed sport springs. You table lists them as a 1.1" drop for GTI and 1.6" for Golf, which makes sense, but the Neuspeed site has them listed the opposite?

1591020707350.png

Last edited:

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Hammersticks, really appreciate all the info you've put together and shared. Just have a question about the Neuspeed sport springs. You table lists them as a 1.1" drop for GTI and 1.6" for Golf, which makes sense, but the Neuspeed site has them listed the opposite?

View attachment 175270
Sure. Just like the Moops invaded Spain in the 8th century. 😉

Contact them but appears to be a bad editing job.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Only thing I could think is that the higher rates on a lighter car doesn't equal as much lowering. Or it's the Moops.

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
I figured bad editing, I just hadn't seen anyone mention it. Funny thing is, they have the same situation for both the sport and race springs. More drop listed for the GTI than Golf...

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
Hammersticks, another question about the Neuspeed sport springs I have is at 48.5%/26% stiffer front/rear, how much do they increase under steer on a fwd car with significant under steer to begin with? Is a RSB enough to counter that?

P.S. I miss a lot of things about SF now that I'm back here in the flat Midwest. I lived there for 10 years ages ago.

Last edited:

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
I had the Neuspeed Sports on my GTI, and it was right around an inch. Definitely not 1.6...As for % stiffness increase front/rear, I wouldn't concern yourself over it. Not sure why the factory specs are so much lower in the front, aside from wanting to keep it as comfortable as possible. That all said, yes, you'll find the rear bar more than compensates for it. I found I wanted to add a front bar to balance it out, but many guys just go with the rear and call it good. Ultimately, don't worry about understeer. :)

And cool about SF. This whole place is a mess right now, but I guess that's everywhere. Stay safe!

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
Thanks, appreciate the info about the drop, definitely don't want too much. I'm an old gearhead, but this is my first GTI/European car, Loving it so far, but can't stand to leave it alone. I assume the Neuspeed front spring rate is due to limited suspension travel with the struts. Hopefully it doesn't ride too harshly, but more importantly to me, the considerably stiffer front springs will exacerbate the understeer. I'll see how it feels with just the RSB.

I lived on 26th ave. in the Richmond district, half a block from Golden Gate Park. I used to tear through the park on my mountain bike all the time. What passes for a hill around here is pathetic.

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
LOL, they updated the site.

1591305423141.png

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
I took Hammersticks' advice and submitted a question about it on their website. They replied, and updated the site quickly.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Hopefully whoever was responsible for such an egregious error was immediately sacked.

stuff like this is not uncommon and if something seems odd, it helps to reach out. This is especially true suspension wise for those running non-GTI on this platform (50mm strut) or any type of engine mod.

in this case, they knew enough about 'their product' to understand the error and correct.
konig often doesn't know the weight of new wheels they bring to market... once told me 'we'll know once we get our first shipment'. Megan USA responded to tech questions on their swaybar with 'we don't know this info'. It pays to be sure before you send it to the shopping cart.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
konig often doesn't know the weight of new wheels they bring to market... once told me 'we'll know once we get our first shipment'.

I know the answer to this one and it's not as bad as it sounds. A new wheel could have 30-50 part numbers (different bolt patterns, diameters, widths, offsets, 2-3 finishes) but only a few wheels are sent "pre-production" for samples and testing. Before the wheels are actually received and weighed in house, estimated weights are all you have based on the molds, and I think it's smart they do their due diligence to confirm that estimation when they are able to. This isn't a critical spec fortunately, though it does sway some folk's purchasing decisions. It's not like they're listing a 17x9 "offset TBD" wheel or anything haha.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I know the answer to this one and it's not as bad as it sounds. A new wheel could have 30-50 part numbers (different bolt patterns, diameters, widths, offsets, 2-3 finishes) but only a few wheels are sent "pre-production" for samples and testing. Before the wheels are actually received and weighed in house, estimated weights are all you have based on the molds, and I think it's smart they do their due diligence to confirm that estimation when they are able to. This isn't a critical spec fortunately, though it does sway some folk's purchasing decisions. It's not like they're listing a 17x9 "offset TBD" wheel or anything haha.
still, it makes you wonder, who's manufacturing vs who's just brokering. to Konig's credit, they're not throwing out a bad guess or misrepresenting.

Discount Tire Direct once sold me a set of 15x7 Drag dr37s, listed at 14 lbs. I called Drag to confirm the weight and that standard conical 17mm head bolts would work. Yes, yes, but on receipt, no way on the bolts and they weighed in at 16.2. Sent them back.