GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch help (I know, I know. I searched first.)

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Amazing, thank you. I admit I'm still a bit surprised you're going for a clutch rated for 'up to 400lb/ft' for your IS38 tune after everything you've already been through... why is that? Are you basing your choice on someone else making similar power levels to you who's been satisfied with the SRE?

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Yeah, going round in circles is exactly right... I'm going to call HST tomorrow and ask about the two RSR kits and see what warranty or guarantee they offer. Odd that you (and others) are running the regular RSR at Stage 2 levels when this from their site rates the mk7 version at 380lb/ft:

View attachment 171293

And re: those folks being R owners, you're probably right. My understanding is that the IS38 adds more HP than it does torque, though... I think torque levels on IS20 GTIs and IS38 ones are similar, even if HP is much higher with the bigger turbo? I could be wrong about that

It's funny, I definitely never saw that picture until after I'd bought the thing. Someone else I know who was clutch shopping showed it to me. I don't know if it's new or what.

I went by their description here:

https://www.hstuning.com/hs-tuning-rsr-clutch-kit.html?category_id=203

"Crank Torque Holding Measurements:
480 ft/lbs
650 NM"

That plus the pic is confusing. Why would the mk6 hold 480 but mqb 100 less? Yet it also says "mk7 up to stage 2".

I really feel like that Pic wasn't there until a few months ago. Not sure how I'd have missed it, but maybe I did?

Even so, enough people, including stealthgti gave it a thumbs up that it tipped the scales.

So, yeah. Circles.

Last edited:

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Amazing, thank you. I admit I'm still a bit surprised you're going for a clutch rated for 'up to 400lb/ft' for your IS38 tune after everything you've already been through... why is that? Are you basing your choice on someone else making similar power levels to you who's been satisfied with the SRE?
After my initial "TTRS kit" install, the throwout bearing was found to be faulty causing engagement issues. I tracked the car like this and it definitely led to some hot spotting on the pressure plate and flywheel surfaces. I ordered replacement parts under their warranty and re-used the flywheel (probably a mistake) and everything was fantastic but after 10,000 km or so I started to see slip. FCP eventually took the kit down from their online catalog, which is probably for a good reason.

Because of the lifetime warranty through FCP, economically it made sense to pay the difference for the SRE clutch disc and order a new flywheel. It's either I pay $600 on top of my initial purchase to get the right kit, or start all over with another option/brand.

I have faith that with a fresh flywheel and stronger clutch disc, it will hold the power. This is also in conjunction with many happy IS38 GTI users running the SRE setup with no issues. I opted out of the 4 puck because this car is mainly daily driven. Sachs/ZF conservatively rates the torque on the clutch so in theory it should hold much more than 400 ft-lbs.

If I have another clutch issue after this, I think I might call it quits and get the R in a DSG. I really knew nothing about this platform and its tuning capabilities when I bought the car, and quickly realized that the 6 speed manual is very fragile in these cars. I don't regret going for the 6 speed, I think it pairs well with the driving characteristic of the GTI - but damn, I've paid well over the $1500 initial price difference of the DSG.

You live and you learn.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
It's funny, I definitely never saw that picture until after I'd bought the thing. Someone else I know who was clutch shopping showed it to me. I don't know if it's new or what.

480 ft/lbs
650 NM"

That plus the pic is confusing. Why would the mk6 hold 480 but mqb 100 less? Yet it also says "mk7 up to stage 2".

I really feel like that Pic wasn't there until a few months ago. Not sure how I'd have missed it, but maybe I did?

Even so, enough people, including stealthgti gave it a thumbs up that it tipped the scales.

So, yeah. Circles.
The pic is new ( and confusing). I bought and installed the RSR hybrid in February and it wasn't there then.

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
After my initial "TTRS kit" install, the throwout bearing was found to be faulty causing engagement issues. I tracked the car like this and it definitely led to some hot spotting on the pressure plate and flywheel surfaces. I ordered replacement parts under their warranty and re-used the flywheel (probably a mistake) and everything was fantastic but after 10,000 km or so I started to see slip. FCP eventually took the kit down from their online catalog, which is probably for a good reason.

Because of the lifetime warranty through FCP, economically it made sense to pay the difference for the SRE clutch disc and order a new flywheel. It's either I pay $600 on top of my initial purchase to get the right kit, or start all over with another option/brand.

I have faith that with a fresh flywheel and stronger clutch disc, it will hold the power. This is also in conjunction with many happy IS38 GTI users running the SRE setup with no issues. I opted out of the 4 puck because this car is mainly daily driven. Sachs/ZF conservatively rates the torque on the clutch so in theory it should hold much more than 400 ft-lbs.

If I have another clutch issue after this, I think I might call it quits and get the R in a DSG. I really knew nothing about this platform and its tuning capabilities when I bought the car, and quickly realized that the 6 speed manual is very fragile in these cars. I don't regret going for the 6 speed, I think it pairs well with the driving characteristic of the GTI - but damn, I've paid well over the $1500 initial price difference of the DSG.

You live and you learn.
Okay thanks. All makes sense. Yeah, all this is why I'm also wondering if I should give up on the idea of the EQT tune and stick with my JB4 and the stock clutch, but I'd rather not, having had a taste of the EQT tune. I admit I know nothing about clutch manufacturing processes and limitations, but it does seem odd that after a number of years on the market, no clutch with mostly stock characteristics but which can hold ~500lb/ft hasn't been developed. It seems as though the reliable options are either a <400lb/ft rating, or way above that, with chatter, shuddering, etc., etc. Weird. I understand this is compltely personal taste but for me, I can't see myself buying a car without a manual transmission until it's my only option. Well, that or I win the lottery and buy the new RS6 and get over it, ha.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
The pic is new ( and confusing). I bought and installed the RSR hybrid in February and it wasn't there then.

A ha. So I am still as observant during research as I like to think. I bought mine back in November and had been researching for many weeks before that.

I guess I'm just hoping for the best. I definitely do not want to have to crack the thing open again anytime within the next 2 years / 20k miles. Will be mighty unhappy if I do.

JonFowler68

Passed Driver's Ed
How was the break in on this clutch? Is it suitable for daily driving? The website mentions a little chatter at idle with the hybrid disc. A quick review of your experience would be sweet (y)

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
How was the break in on this clutch? Is it suitable for daily driving? The website mentions a little chatter at idle with the hybrid disc. A quick review of your experience would be sweet (y)
Pressing the clutch was significantly harder for the first ~100 miles or so. After that it definitely softened up due to break-in, and I'm sure partly because I got used to it.

It engages sooner and I think the pedal travel is shorter as well, but otherwise feels very similar to stock. Occasionally I will hear slight chatter in neutral, but it is not consistent like with single flywheels, I'll just hear it for a second when shifting into neutral from reverse and going to first.

No problem whatsoever holding power at stage 2 levels, and I'd feel comfortable with it with an upgraded turbo as well.

No regrets at all I am very happy with it, definitely suitable for daily driving however I am curious how much different it is than the normal RSR clutch but can't say for certain because I've never driven it.

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I'm about 700 miles into break-in with the RSR Hybrid and I'm astonished by how stock-like it is. Pedal is slightly firmer, yes, but even that is subtle. I had some chatter for the first ~200 miles, and it's now completely gone. It's totally silent. In my car, at least, the only perceptible difference from the stock clutch is what I would describe as a slight 'wobble' when slipping the clutch in 1st to pull away from a stop. I feel it through the pedals and the wheel (I have upgraded mounts all round, and poly bushings in my front control arms, which adds a lot of steering feel, so I may not be as aware of it if I didn't), and it may just be that the two surfaces haven't fully mated yet. A passenger would never know about it. Other than that and the slightly firmer pedal, it's every bit as drivable as it was stock. I had a fluidamper installed at the same time, but I haven't been over 3k rpms since install yet, so I'm probably not feeling its effects yet. Can't speak to whether or not it can hold the torque until I've finished the break-in, and will add my thoughts here then, for anyone else considering this clutch. So far, couldn't be happier with it.

JonFowler68

Passed Driver's Ed
Awesome reviews guys! I'm seeing on HS Tuning's website they have the option to include a new flywheel, trans kit, axle bolts, RMS, and trans fluid kit. I'd like to change the flywheel and RMS during the install and obviously need the correct hardware for the job. These parts are available through RockAuto or FCP for much cheaper. Just wondering what direction you went with the order (convenience vs price) as HS definitely makes a good profit on these optional parts.

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Awesome reviews guys! I'm seeing on HS Tuning's website they have the option to include a new flywheel, trans kit, axle bolts, RMS, and trans fluid kit. I'd like to change the flywheel and RMS during the install and obviously need the correct hardware for the job. These parts are available through RockAuto or FCP for much cheaper. Just wondering what direction you went with the order (convenience vs price) as HS definitely makes a good profit on these optional parts.
I got the whole kit except fluids and RMS from HS Tuning because by the time I'd finally made a choice of clutch my head was spinning with all the research and I just wanted to make sure I had all the right stuff. And although they don't offer a warranty, I wanted the full kit including flywheel to come from them so if there are any issues with any of it, I wouldn't be blamed for sourcing any parts of it elsewhere. I did get the iAbed RMS from FCP though because I think the one offered in the HST kit is a different one. The whole thing was very pricey, a lot more than I thought I'd be spending on a clutch, but I wanted the peace of mind that comes with the room to spare in terms of torque, and getting it all from the same place so I could go to them if any problems arise. Just my 2¢

Oh, and I also used Motul 300 75W90 gear oil as I'd read that the slightly heavier weight might help suppress clutch noises. Don't know if it helped, but my clutch doesn't make any noise after a few hundred miles.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion

I bought the flywheel and rms from FCP/elsewhere and the transmission kit through hst. I bought the hardware kit and ended up not using much of it except the flywheel, pp, etc hardware that goes inside the transmission case. Locktite + old kit and done deal.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I think I got the clutch, flywheel, transmission fluid, and axle bolts all from HS Tuning.

iAbed RMS and installation tool, clutch alignment tool, brake fluid, and the rest of the hardware from FCP Euro.

Cemetery

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
e36m/e46m/mk7r

480 ft/lbs
650 NM"

So, yeah. Circles.

yeahhhh they have added a lot of info to this here. I would love someone to chime in on what the difference is for the mk6/7 and why the mk7 has less holding capacity.

I am happy with the clutch and it has held stage 2 for me pretty much no problem, but if this info was available back when I would have gone hybrid. It kind of sucks, I just payed off the car and am planning on building it over the next few years and more power is on the list, but I am afraid I wont hold the power.

Still glad I didn't go dkm twin disk.

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
yeahhhh they have added a lot of info to this here. I would love someone to chime in on what the difference is for the mk6/7 and why the mk7 has less holding capacity.

I am happy with the clutch and it has held stage 2 for me pretty much no problem, but if this info was available back when I would have gone hybrid. It kind of sucks, I just payed off the car and am planning on building it over the next few years and more power is on the list, but I am afraid I wont hold the power.

Still glad I didn't go dkm twin disk.
I called HST a couple times about this, and the explanation I was given was that the hardware in the regular RSR kit is the same as it was for the mk6, but they have since downrated it for the mk7 because the 'torque is delivered in a much more aggressive way' in the mk7, which has resulted in failures for folks making above 380lb/ft in mk7 cars. They didn't recommend it for my EQT Stage 2 tune which they said would be right at or a little over the threshold of what they now say it can handle.

Also, they said that they re-built the Hybrid version early last year because of some longevity issues and some failures at the upper limits of what some people are making with big turbos, etc., and now stand by it up to 550lb/ft, and told me that if I'm not going to the drag strip, etc., that I should be able to get at least 50k miles out of it.

Of course this clutch is new to me, and I never had the regular version, so I'm just passing on what they told me rather than vouching for anything. Clearly some people have been fine with the regular version at pretty decent power levels.