GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Habor Frieght Jack Stands Recall

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
will they accept return with no receipt for jack stands that are not part of the bad PN?

HF near me is very good with customer service and would do this. Worth a try.

Frank Reynolds

Go Kart Newbie
will they accept return with no receipt for jack stands that are not part of the bad PN?
My local HF did yesterday. They did ask for my phone number I guess to look at the sales history. I walked out with a giftcard since they didn't have any jackstands in stock. I'll have to source some elsewhere and spend the giftcard on zipties.

Total1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI Autobahn 6MT
Did anyone attempt to return one that aren't part of the bad PN? I got 4 aren't part of it but I'll be buying different jack stands or invest in quickjack.

cb1111

Depends. If it was bought within the time period and you are pleasant but firm - using my "write me a letter on your letterhead telling my heirs that this won't kill me" then they most likely they will. The one in Gaithersburg MD did without blinking.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I returned mine (the part # WAS part of the recall), but the cashier didn't even look, just asked how I wanted my refund.

If you are trying to get rid of yours if say it's worth a shot. If they tell you otherwise play dumb and concerned about using them.

Frank Reynolds

Go Kart Newbie
Did anyone attempt to return one that aren't part of the bad PN? I got 4 aren't part of it but I'll be buying different jack stands or invest in quickjack.
No offense but if you’re already planning on an alternative why waste the time and energy of the front line folks working the returns at harbor freight? I’m of the mindset that if the stands I have didn’t fall under the massive recall then I’m not entitled to a return. It’s just a time waster for everyone involved and in this specific case it’s a $20 item. I get the desire to want to return them. 100% I get it but think down stream and if it’s really worth the “fight”.

I worked retail a long time in my early 20’s and more recently peripheral to retail working at manufacturers of goods sold at retail chains. I may have some PTSD so i apologize if my comments come off as rude at all. Certainly not my intention. I just want people to think before they try to get the rules bent.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I'm probably just gonna keep mine, not part of the affected part number. I have been under the car and it didn't fall. I always keep the jack on the pinch weld and other things that would maybe help in case of total failure

Total1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI Autobahn 6MT
No offense but if you’re already planning on an alternative why waste the time and energy of the front line folks working the returns at harbor freight? I’m of the mindset that if the stands I have didn’t fall under the massive recall then I’m not entitled to a return. It’s just a time waster for everyone involved and in this specific case it’s a $20 item. I get the desire to want to return them. 100% I get it but think down stream and if it’s really worth the “fight”.

I worked retail a long time in my early 20’s and more recently peripheral to retail working at manufacturers of goods sold at retail chains. I may have some PTSD so i apologize if my comments come off as rude at all. Certainly not my intention. I just want people to think before they try to get the rules bent.

You're good...not coming off as rude at all so no need to apologize. I've been to HF quite a lot recently to get some accessories to strip off paint on my gate at home...I figures I'll try to return the stands the next time I go. If it work then I'll just use that money toward the accessories. Not going to "fight" them to make them take it back or anything...if they say no then that's that 🤷‍♂️.

cb1111

Normally I would agree with you, but in this case they have such a huge range of affected batches that they really don't know what is bad and this could be a very serious safety issue.

Accordingly, I (and HF) think it is better to err on the side of caution and return them if you are the least bit concerned.

Frank Reynolds

Go Kart Newbie
Normally I would agree with you, but in this case they have such a huge range of affected batches that they really don't know what is bad and this could be a very serious safety issue.

Accordingly, I (and HF) think it is better to err on the side of caution and return them if you are the least bit concerned.
Fair points. When I took mine back I got the impression that it was super frustrating for the employees. To each their own.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Or we can stop buying shit tools in the first place?

I’ve bought like six things from that store, one use tools kind of situation. Half broke, and they all were tossed in the recycling bin by the end of the day.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
HF is hit or miss. I buy all kinds of random tools from them. Circlip pliers, pick set, impact driver...whatever I need for what I'm doing at the moment. So far...I haven't had any problems with their tools. You just need to have realistic expectations when you buy from them. I bought a torque wrench for my lug bolts...a mechanical and a digital one. Both have been good so far.