GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Habor Frieght Jack Stands Recall

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I have those, expensive but not as bad as some others.

The flat top works well with the Audi Jack stand adapters or under the subframe, leaving the pinch welds open for just the jack.

ESCO 10498 Jack Stands, 3 Ton Capacity, Pair of 2 Stands (Pack of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J5ZB8K6/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_02BYEbBGRPCMW

How do you find the height of the 10498 model? I see the minimum is height is 13 inches but they also make a 10499 model that has a minimum height of 11 inches.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
I had 4 of those as well. Didn't have an issue with them, but looking back, getting the cheapest jack stands I could find probably wasn't the best idea. I replaced them with two sets of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074R17GL4/

These are looking good too. I might grab two pairs, then I can just throw the shitty jack stands in random spots under the car. Like others mentioned, I get anxiety just thinking about getting under this car. Honestly, I get anxiety jacking this car up. Wish I could afford quick jacks.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
^^ I have the same gripe....jack and stands is kind of annoying due to lack of good jacking points, especially in the rear (unless im missing something). I got the slotted frame rail blocks for mine and it works very well with these cars.

I've seen too many reviews about it breaking after a year. Otherwise I would probably invest in one, too.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
How do you find the height of the 10498 model? I see the minimum is height is 13 inches but they also make a 10499 model that has a minimum height of 11 inches.
My jack is the Harbor Freight Daytona Low-Profile Long Reach, so the higher 10498's has never been an issue for me. But I think the 10499's would definitely be more versatile. I probably would have bought those instead if I knew about them at the time.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
The recall is kinda vague and doesn’t clearly show which stands are covered. I’ve got 3 & 6 ton with effected PN as well as ones that aren’t. It’s confusing that either rating can have the effected PN.

I plan to attempt to return both sets since I own a QuickJack and plan to buy a real two post Lift soon anyway. If not I’ll hang onto them, but won’t be using them for anything critical anymore

For those considering/doubting QJ consider this. While I have owned mine almost two years and I have had quick disconnect failures I did isolate the issue and haven’t had a failure since.

The air chamber on the hydraulic cylinders leaks all air pressure out almost immediately making it useless, so the residual line pressure blows out the quick disconnect seals when you attempt to reconnect them.

Solution: Just leave the lines hooked up all the time. It’s a bit of a pain, but I’ve had zero issues since I stopped unhooking the lines.

Bassmans car modeling my lift

gtg223x

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow I didn't realize this was a sensitive subject. I did search and didn't find a thread. I bought mine a month ago and they were not recalled.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Wow I didn't realize this was a sensitive subject. I did search and didn't find a thread. I bought mine a month ago and they were not recalled.

When safety is involved, especially when death upon failure is a very high probability, people take it very serious.

There was another thread framed more like a political rant, and it quickly devolved into such. Don’t take it as an attack on you, there is a ton of really good info in this thread, and more coming along as we go. Just above is a solution for one of my last hesitations for quick jacks.

Was also considering these.
https://myliftstand.com/

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
My vote goes with the Esco J/Ss. Have 4, they are bombproof and super easy to use. Haven't had much use since the Quickjack purchase, but every so often I need them. Solid piece.