GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Track Carnage

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Looks like my kid playing Forza.

I’ve seen my share of the track carnage. Worst was an Evo that was half as wide as it was intended to be being hauled away back to the paddock area on a forklift.

Another was an open wheel going backwards into the inside wall at Turn 1 Sebring at about 60+mph. The poor driver was ok but had opted out of Incident insurance at check-in earlier that day! Only the front half of the car was in tact.

During a rain event, I had a Lamborghini Murcielago spin out right in front of me coming out of the bowl at Homestead. The driver avoided going off track by a hair and came to a stop facing me. His eyes were wide open! I watched the whole thing unfold in what seemed to be slow motion- more concerned for his car than my own!

Seeing all the stuff happen reminds you that every day you drive back home from an event with everything together is a good day -no matter how well organized the event is. There’s so many factors that can go wrong . It’s up to you to do your part to make sure everything goes right!

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
WOW. I thought I was going to cry seeing that ZR1 on fire. And I have no words for that overtake. Simply no words.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
You know shit's viral when it gets posted by an American lol. For the record, that track is fine for the most days, as long as a certain group of individuals are not present for open lapping.

Are you referring to younger entitled millennials with their parents money and zero respect for others....Americans...or a combination of both....🤣

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
WOW. I thought I was going to cry seeing that ZR1 on fire. And I have no words for that overtake. Simply no words.
I believe that overtake was the car’s fault that was coming back on track. From My experience, if you go off track(happened to me once or twice...) you’re supposed to wait until there is no traffic, not jump right back on.

Reactions: q74

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I believe that overtake was the car’s fault that was coming back on track. From My experience, if you go off track(happened to me once or twice...) you’re supposed to wait until there is no traffic, not jump right back on.

Agree with this, but camaro driver (at least I thought it was a camaro) should have more spatial awareness and seen that STI coming back and slow down accordingly.

Edit: just rewatched and STI never went off, at least from what I could see. Looks like he was just staying right, maybe slower. It's all on Camaro driver.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Agree with this, but camaro driver (at least I thought it was a camaro) should have more spatial awareness and seen that STI coming back and slow down accordingly.

Edit: just rewatched and STI never went off, at least from what I could see. Looks like he was just staying right, maybe slower. It's all on Camaro driver.

It really does look like that white car is pulling back into the roadway.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

It really does look like that white car is pulling back into the roadway.
Super hard to tell. I think @MonkeyMD might be right. They could have just been acting as a good citizen and pulled way over to let all those cars pass, but it was still a pretty foolish move at the end of a straight/beginning of turn. Both are def at fault. Doesn't help the camera car's case that he was driving like an idiot and got loose moments before...

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I’ve watched it a few times and I believe the STI driver is on track the whole time just going about 20mph and looking lost. Still that hellcat driver shouldn’t have absolutely sent it up through the chicane, complete idiot move. Just completely unsafe.

95b14

Go Kart Newbie
Both parties are at fault in that overtake. The Subaru shouldn’t be on track if you’re that slow without an instructor. Maybe they went off track, but having watched a few times, I don’t think they were.

That video is exactly why the slow car needs to stay on the racing line to be passed, if you want to let people past, let off throttle. That being said, camera car has to be patient and have the common sense not to blast by someone in a corner line that. Incredibly unsafe. I’m curious what group this event was through. People getting into actual fist fights over cars is why I’ve been over drag racing for a while now.