GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

front oem brake pads or cheap set?

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
i need to replace front brakes soon, stock gti s 2015, i dont need performance brakes or anything,
i was just curious if there are other pads to buy that are as good or better for cheaper,
or just stick to oem

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
No, you don't need stick with OEM. Plenty of alternative options out there that will probably provide a better combination of less dust and lower price while keeping the braking adequate for simple daily driving.

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
i always thought that aftermarket would cause clunking from not fitting properly, or was that just dealer bullshit, also ceramic can be used with stock rotors??

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Centric/StopTech PosiQuiet ceramic pads (nearly zero dust) and Textar Pro+ high carbon plain rotors.

Rockauto.com had the best prices when I got mine.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
i always thought that aftermarket would cause clunking from not fitting properly, or was that just dealer bullshit, also ceramic can be used with stock rotors??

Nope, that's a complete bullshit selling tactic. In fact, my factory rear brake pads clunked more than my Ferodo rear pads do now. Every time I put the car in reverse, the OEM pads would clunk. Now, with Ferodo pads, the clunk is gone.

ceramic pads are ok with stock rotors? for some reason i thought you needed new rotors for ceramic pads

Yes, ceramics are fine with stock rotors. Sure, you're not supposed "mix" pad materials, but it won't make a huge difference if you're not pushing the car. Some might disagree with me on this, but I think it's a good rule of thumb to change rotors when changing pads. It's fairly inexpensive to include, and you don't have to worry about minimal rotor thickness, uneven rotors, old pad material transfer, etc.

I like the Hawk Performance HPS pads. Nice OEM+

Hawk HPS pads are completely the wrong pad for a non-performance daily driver. They also dust a ton.

Centric/StopTech PosiQuiet ceramic pads (nearly zero dust) and Textar Pro+ high carbon plain rotors.

Rockauto.com had the best prices when I got mine.

I 100% agree with this. Centric is the parent company of StopTech. Posiquiets are inexpensive and should work fine for your application. High carbon rotors are an inexpensive upgrade that is probably worth the extra $10 or so per rotor. Centric makes some as well.

i cant find the textar or stoptech on that site

On Rock Auto, the posiquiets will be under Centric.

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
Nope, that's a complete bullshit selling tactic. In fact, my factory rear brake pads clunked more than my Ferodo rear pads do now. Every time I put the car in reverse, the OEM pads would clunk. Now, with Ferodo pads, the clunk is gone.

Yes, ceramics are fine with stock rotors. Sure, you're not supposed "mix" pad materials, but it won't make a huge difference if you're not pushing the car. Some might disagree with me on this, but I think it's a good rule of thumb to change rotors when changing pads. It's fairly inexpensive to include, and you don't have to worry about minimal rotor thickness, uneven rotors, old pad material transfer, etc.

Hawk HPS pads are completely the wrong pad for a non-performance daily driver. They also dust a ton.

I 100% agree with this. Centric is the parent company of StopTech. Posiquiets are inexpensive and should work fine for your application. High carbon rotors are an inexpensive upgrade that is probably worth the extra $10 or so per rotor. Centric makes some as well.

On Rock Auto, the posiquiets will be under Centric.
thanks for the info, i dont track my car but i do drive aggressively but i dont think i need hp pads or rotors

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Textar... you're paying a premium for a German brand, for rotors made in China.

If you're going to get made-in-China rotors, you might as well get Centric High Carbon rotors