GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the rear subframe harmonic damper from the Audi A3 Saloon (2013->)

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
Can this damper be fitted without removing anything please?
Yes very easily. You just need to get under the rear end of the car. I took my car to a local service shop and they fitted it within 15 minutes and just charged 1/2hr labour. You could do it yourself as long as its safe to go under the car. It made a huge difference to me, especially over coarse road surfaces. The transition from a good to a bad surface has none of what I would call a "booming resonance" that I previously suffered.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Can this damper be fitted without removing anything please?

Yes, nothing to remove as per the guide.....unless you have retro fitted the rear axle aero cover from one of my other "how to guides" then that would need to be removed.....

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I think possibly one of the reasons some people hear a more dramatic improvement with the damper while others don't may have to do with how effective the stock insulation / sound deadening is. I know that in 2018/2019, the US models started coming with these cheap sound-deadening 'pillows' glued to a couple of points around the spare tire well, rather than proper tar-based deadening pads aka dynomat (another post-dieselgate cost-cutting measure). When I installed the Helix sub in my 2017 GSW, I supplemented the factory deadening mats in the trunk area with a few extra square feet of dynomat-type pads (not a lot... just a few small pieces in a few key areas where VW should have put more), and also inside the rear deck lid, where VW did not put any. On top of that, I laid down 1/4" foam insulation padding over the entire trunk floor area and I also lined the backside of the deck lid interior trim panel with it. Honestly this all had a much more significant impact on quieting the sound of the rear suspension than the harmonic damper did. I installed the damper well over a year after doing all the insulation supplementation, and I only noticed a very marginal additional improvement... if at all... and the sound deadening and insulation has provided improvement for not only low-speed noise, but high-speed as well.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Is this for FWD vehicles only? I have an MK7.5 Wagen 4Motion and an MK7 Golf R, and wondering if this damper will work on 4Motion vehicles.
I was told it was FWD only.

marnie

Ready to race!
Can anyone in the UK say where they have successfully bought these parts from please? I've been getting the run around from various places.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Can anyone in the UK say where they have successfully bought these parts from please? I've been getting the run around from various places.

Audi dealership parts dept....

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Is this for FWD vehicles only? I have an MK7.5 Wagen 4Motion and an MK7 Golf R, and wondering if this damper will work on 4Motion vehicles.

FWD only ...AWD has a different subframe...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The one's I've tried want an A3 VIN number.

They don't require it, just give them the part numbers..say you know what the part is & are fitting it to a MK7 Golf..& it will fit..I got mine from the Audi dealer...

B3mt1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 2.0TDI Hatch '16
Hi,
on e-acca there is no 1K0501713D, only C and E versions. Do you maybe know what are the differences?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi,
on e-acca there is no 1K0501713D, only C and E versions. Do you maybe know what are the differences?

Google brings up this for the "C" & E

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/trim/1k0501713c/

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=1...&ei=o3_7Xu6vIdmBur4P8IqAgAE&bih=1089&biw=1617

Which is the rear axel short under cover for mk5/mk6/mk7 golf hatch...which is in a different thread (how to guide) on here.

You CANNOT assume that the last letter is always a "version" as I have many times found that it is a totally different part!