GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Low Torque(87) Cluthc Slippage

cnace2

Passed Driver's Ed
Looking to get APR plus which is the low torque, 87 fuel map. Being that it is the lowest torque and power, does anyone know if there is known clutch slippage for this map that happens faster than noraml? I know regular stage 1 tends to slip the clutch sooner rather than late. Just wondering if this map is the same.

Thanks!

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
With a tune of these cars it's only a matter of time....the amount is purely dependent on your driving style and how the vehicle has been driven over it's life. What is your mileage currently?

cnace2

Passed Driver's Ed
I bought the car brand new is January. Currently sitting at 3k. I don’t drive my car like a madman every second, but I Do get on it with on-ramps and the occasional backroad.

95b14

Go Kart Newbie
For what it’s worth, I put a jb4 on my car around similar mileage as you. I’m pretty tame on the street, really just hard acceleration to merge on highways and the occasional back road blast which sounds similar to the driving you described. I got to about 38k ish miles or so before it slipped for the first time. It did endure 4 track days as well although I ran those on the stock boost map. If you tune, it will slip eventually so just be ready.

cnace2

Passed Driver's Ed
Im just making sure that it likely won’t start slipping at like 10 or 15k. If it’s 30 40 or 50k then that’s reasonable in my eyes.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Im just making sure that it likely won’t start slipping at like 10 or 15k. If it’s 30 40 or 50k then that’s reasonable in my eyes.

The problem is, it's a crapshoot. Yes, all things considered, since you're looking at the 87 octane tune, it is more likely that you will be able to get 30-50K out of the clutch (or maybe even more, if you're lucky). However, you could tune it, and the clutch could slip on your very first WOT pull. It has happened to people on JB1 power, which is less than the 87 octane tune.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Clutch can burn up in stock form early in any car for that matter...everytime one of these threads comes up (monthly) the same comment is made how it Won’t hold and it’s gonna Slip “soon”. It’s got a lot to do with how someone drives. My car is at 22k I’ve been modded since 2k... my car is now to a point where it’s got a hybrid is38, with all bolt ons and a heavy dose of water/meth injection. And the stuck clutch is still for the most part holding that power (it’s right on the brink of losing it)

also my mk6 gli was tuned at 60k apr stage 1 and it’s now at 115k and it’s still holding fine.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I mean it's going to wear it out faster regardless.. It's just a matter of how long. Yes it will last longer than if you were stage 1... But what's the point of the low torque file. If you ask me, save for a clutch and proper tunes.

cnace2

Passed Driver's Ed
I mean it's going to wear it out faster regardless.. It's just a matter of how long. Yes it will last longer than if you were stage 1... But what's the point of the low torque file. If you ask me, save for a clutch and proper tunes.
APR PLUS. I’m not getting rid of that 6 year warranty lol.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
I bought the car brand new is January. Currently sitting at 3k. I don’t drive my car like a madman every second, but I Do get on it with on-ramps and the occasional backroad.

I would expect it to last around 25K-30K total mileage tuned (dependent on driving style), if you don't do any launches and do not use full throttle under 4000K rpm in 5th-6th. After that you are on borrowed time. "Get on it" is a very vague statement, for how your car is driven

I see people that say they can (and being good are two different things) drive manuals as their daily:
1. Over slip the clutch at every start...a clutch should not bee slipped more than 1 total revolution of the wheels...
2. Fail at rev matching downshifts by 500 or more rpm consistently or not at all
3. insistently "traffic crawl" foot by foot at traffic /stop lights/signs in a que
4. sit with the car in gear/clutch in for an entire 2-3 red light repeatedly.
5. Floor it in 6th at 2 to 2.5K rpm to pass on the highway, instead of rev match downshifting to a lower gear to minimize the torque surge the clutch sees at peak boost...

with this type of stick driver a stock clutch on a stock tune is not going to last more than 40-50K and some individuals count that as "a normal clutch life..."

Solutions.....

Pay to change it out now why your flywheel is still good and save the $450 bucks by not need a flywheel change and go with a SB stage 3 drop in disc or an HS tuning RSR. After 10K on the car I would error on the side of and get flywheel as well... I would only go single mass if I was tracking or autoXing regularly.

if

you are in reality an an above average manual vehicle driver and have some mechanical sympathy you could make it to the 40K-50K mark, but as I stated before it is really a matter of when with a "tune".

and

You are not planning on keeping the vehicle more than 3 years.... IF you have any wiff that you are going to swap vehicles every 3 years(like the majority of debt lovers do in the US...)

I would drive normally and dump it before it "needs" a clutch....(shitty but the way of a majority of people are, but hey car dealers don't have much of a conscience either.)

If this car is leased, I would encourage you to leave it totaly be....or if you just "gotta have" it tuned...buy a jb4 or a neuspeed power module, drive smartly and call it a day...

Last edited:

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
APR PLUS. I’m not getting rid of that 6 year warranty lol.

APR plus aint going to save you from replacing a clutch on your own dime...

just so there are not pre-conceived notions

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Are the GTI and R clutches exactly the same? If so, theoretically you should have at least a fighting chance for a reasonable clutch life with the APR 87 tune as it brings the power up to roughly stock R levels but not more.

However, it does seem the clutch in the Mk7s has always been an overall weak spot which was not really quite adequate for purpose.