GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I don't know. I live in the snow belt and drive in raging blizzards often. What do you think? Logic tells me it's not needed at all but VW must have put it there for a reason.

They seem to only put it there in certain regions, not all. I think it's overkill. Snow getting past the filter is called water and I don't see that guard keeping water out. I live in Florida have had it out in 2 different mk7's with no issue in downpours.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
They seem to only put it there in certain regions, not all. I think it's overkill. Snow getting past the filter is called water and I don't see that guard keeping water out. I live in Florida have had it out in 2 different mk7's with no issue in downpours.
Snow is way more likely to get sucked in because it floats and blows around easier. I agree that snow getting past the filter is water because by that time its melted, but more snow can make it into the filter than water can. My guess is the snow guard keeps a big pile of snow from going into the intake at the same time, like if you for some reason opened your hood and a bunch somehow fell in and got sucked up, or you drove through a snowbank. A little water spray never hurt anyone but a big snowball getting sucked up and melted all at once is bad news. Most likely never would be an issue though.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Snow is way more likely to get sucked in because it floats and blows around easier. I agree that snow getting past the filter is water because by that time its melted, but more snow can make it into the filter than water can. My guess is the snow guard keeps a big pile of snow from going into the intake at the same time, like if you for some reason opened your hood and a bunch somehow fell in and got sucked up, or you drove through a snowbank. A little water spray never hurt anyone but a big snowball getting sucked up and melted all at once is bad news. Most likely never would be an issue though.
Just guessing here, but I would think the concern would be clogging the filter with the still frozen snow, more so than getting a couple drops of water in the intake.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Just guessing here, but I would think the concern would be clogging the filter with the still frozen snow, more so than getting a couple drops of water in the intake.
Ah that makes sense

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
This looks great! Could you please post some more pictures?
It's not the best pic but here you go.

20200516_174145.jpg

The Butcher

Autocross Champion
Is that the Gen 2? How are false alerts?
Gen 2 is full of bugs including a bad power supply. Plenty of people regret upgrading to the Gen 2. I found someone who upgraded to the new one and sold the Gen 1 for cheap. Once you adjust the settings, false alerts are few and far between.

Moral of the story, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The Butcher

Autocross Champion
Installed 034 rear upper shock mounts on my GSW, which finally solved one of my weird suspension squeaks. Then I decided to install my 034 motor/trans mounts. Things went well until they didn't. My trusty harbor freight engine support hook seized in a position where I couldn't finish the motor mount install. Tomorrow I'll either cut the hook or remove the support tab from the engine while it sits on a jack. Hopefully the trans mount install goes a little smoother!

I must say, that is an awesome garage!

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit

That's what I figured too, but if snow is piling up against the filter, it can just as easily pile up against the snow guard.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Before:

IMG_20200508_180515.jpg

IMG_20200519_162919.jpg

After:

IMG_20200519_163430.jpg

IMG_20200519_171645.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200508_180515.jpg
    IMG_20200508_180515.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20200519_162919.jpg
    IMG_20200519_162919.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20200519_171645.jpg
    IMG_20200519_171645.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20200519_163430.jpg
    IMG_20200519_163430.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 112

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
The missing cover on the lock bolt is messing with my ocd Looks much better though.

Ha. I didn't even notice it fell off. Must have come off on the test drive. I have a whole bag of replacements.